Natasha the 68 Dart

-
i would say there will be a 440 4 speed in this cars future. nice looking and very solid car you have there rani

You will enjoy it very much with a 340 or a 360 4-speed, I know I have fun in mine :burnout:

got an early start today ....with the intent of turning Natasha into a pedal car today ...i decided to go with an OD 833 behind the slant six since the other option was a 3 speed ....i dont a have a close ratio 4 speed right now and not enough cash for one now either.

went smooth but i kept getting distracted as usual .....almost an hour and 15 to change out some pedals ....im doing horrible here ...if i was working on flat rate in a shop like this i would be starving LOL

anyway its only 10 a.m. at this rate i should be done in a few days....i have to pull the trans from another car so thats going to cost some time but fun fun ....i been wanting to this for a long time now.

ok break time is over

Attachments

• CIMG1681.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 552
  • CIMG1688.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 572
  • CIMG1687.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 534
  • CIMG1686.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 505
  • CIMG1685.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 537
  • CIMG1684.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 525
  • CIMG1683.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 529
I am jealous! I so want a 4 speed for my Dart but Santa says no for this year. And i tried SOOOOO hard to be a good boy

went smooth but i kept getting distracted as usual .....almost an hour and 15 to change out some pedals ....im doing horrible here ...if i was working on flat rate in a shop like this i would be starving LOL
r

Put my pedals in 2 days ago took me a good hour at least and a ton of cursing. I probably should have put the pedals in before the steering column :banghead: oh well. I love manuals keep up the good work!!

4 p.m and so far i got the 4 speed pulled from the other car (the green 69 dart) and Natasha back in the shop and all her auto stuff excised. it was a greasy mess under this car from a leaking valve cover. i took my time with the auto stuff ......even i will prolly never use it i still marked everything and taped the bolts to it and kept everything related together. no sense in raiding it and tossing stuff around like you would in some cheap junkyard dog car.

the auto trans made a pretty good mess coming out .....cooling lines are dreadful ....they just piss themselves so bad, no matter how clean you try to be ......another advantage of manual......with a manual you plug the tail shaft slip yoke opening and no mess. the auto had so many small pieces to mark with kickdown and everything. the 4 speed is not very pretty but its a good running unit ...i actually drove it the shop in the other car :cheers:

Natasha now sits in the garage transmission less ....dont know if im going to do more today ....you know in tired.....mid -20s catching up to me ......i cant work nonstop anymore like i did when i was cub :p

Attachments

• CIMG1692.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 535
  • CIMG1691.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 506
  • CIMG1695.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 513
That tranny fluid looks like you killed an animal on your shop floor.

Looks like you had some fun. Good work and keep it up.....
Subscribed.

:happy1:

took advantage of the cold winter day to snuggle up in the garage with Natasha ....with all the automatic transmission apparatus excised, i got around to getiing the input shaft bushing and and flywheel, clutch, and cover installed which actually took forever so it seemed to get all the bolts torqued and double and triple check everything

Attachments

• CIMG1710.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 465
  • CIMG1706.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 463
  • CIMG1701.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 462
  • CIMG1698.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 462
once finished with the clutch assembly i move up to the top and took one last look as we know her and started the process of removing the carpet and preparing for the big chop........Natasha turned out to be a bad girl with rusty floors which i will address before the new carpet goes in.

there again ...it amazes me how much time it took to get the seats out and all the trim and finally the carpet.....good thing is i found my missing earrings under the pass. side seat :cheers: still dont know how they got there but a found item is a happy item :coffee2:

Attachments

• CIMG1711.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 464
  • CIMG1712.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 464
  • CIMG1713.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 457
  • CIMG1714.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 440
  • CIMG1715.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 473
Floor boards look good from the pics. No need for welding from what I can see. Nice project car, keep it up !

That would be considered a rust free car here one the east coast.

I wish my floor pans were that nice. I had to work on them all last summer to get rid of the rust. Manual will be a nice upgrade.

i should have been done today and i really look like a slacker with this car down, but i had a friend from School pass away so thats kept me distracted, but there is not much for me to do over there so tomorrow im getting back on this car.

and to me that is rusty, most of my other cars were absolutely perfect :cheers:

wow, what are the odds!!!! i would like to know if your Natasha is into cars? i named the car after my twin sister Natasha and she knows absolutely nothing about cars....she does not live with me (lives in a different country) and i rarely see her, i told her i named my car after her and she thought that was an insult at first untill i explained to her that is no average everyday car......(i know some ppl just dont get it LOL) :protest:

but how funny odds can be and its true what they say "fact is stranger than fiction" LOL

I just found your build and still haven't finished reading it, but had to post real quick anyway. You mentioned here about the odds of his sister being named Natasha and I had to post. You said your sister is you twin and her name is Natasha. I have twins sisters and one is named Natasha and the other is Tanya. Neither is into cars, but thought you might get a kick out of it anyway.

Anyway, I'm off to keep reading. Build is looking good, keep it up!

finally this early afternoon i got back on this car....after a morning of distractions .....had to make the family breakfast and i had to wash my kitchen floors......so once i was back on the car....the first step today was the preliminary floor cutout......kinda makes one nervous to take a cutting tool to a car you care about LOL .....but Natasha wants this gear augmentation as bad as i do .......so we played peek-a-boo with the garage floor. then i got my uncle to help me load the trans onto the trans jack....i can take it from there......this trans is an OD833 but its a 76 Cast iron case.....i prefer cast iron stuff.....aluminum feels whimpy IMO even though i am aware thats not always true and there is some tough aluminum equip. in existance.

The whole time my cat was with me....he is my cat Mr. Venkateshmangalaravaramu and i like when he hangs out with me :D Moderator kitty approves of this project

i literally had to wrestle this trans in....for some reason in the last 1/2 inch or so it just stopped and didnt want to go in any farther. i got an old blanket between me and the trans and literally hugged it and wrestled it in the rest of the way......my theory is that input shaft pilot bushing is brand new and prolly had more resistance than a used slightly worn one...IDK.

what a work out WOW. but finally got the trans in and put the shifter on....tomorrow im planning to weld the hump in.....shown in last pic simply placed in there........wow this was a lot work today ....im pooped and its only 7:30 P.m. here. :cheers:

Attachments

• CIMG1728.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 411
  • CIMG1727.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 384
  • CIMG1724.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 402
  • CIMG1720.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 378
  • CIMG1719.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 387
Sorry to hear about your friend Rani..
Natasha looks great so far! what do you have planned for the rust removal? if i may make a suggestion POR-15 is some good stuff and with a scuff of an abrasive scotch brite pad you can paint match over it too.

after 2 days of fighting the shifter rods......the 3/4 gear one was too long... the swivel needed to be past where the adjustment ended....so i tried a different rod set from an old ITM shifter and it was going to work but those are thinner gauge ....didnt like that but hey, if it works.

well the swivels were frozen on the ITM set and the were not where i needed so after wire brushing, soaking in oil .....getting desperate and heating the swivel slightly......the swivel finally twisted the end of the rod off :banghead::banghead:happened on two of the three dang dang dang.

so at this point im at a loss bcoz i cant imagine why these rods worked on the green car but not here .....something was severly wrong with that 3/4 gear rod.

Finally after re-filling the heater twice and spending hours in the shop wresting with this

DUH DUH this is an OD .....so the 3/4 tab on the trans goes upside down .....i was setting it up like a close ratio 4 speed and its not ...its an OD ......as soon as i got the trans tabs right ....the rods easily adjusted and fell in place LMAO.

Attachments

• 0900c1528007ff3b.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 354
You are doing great,
I sill have one more bolt to get out of my drivers side top door hinge.
What was ma thinking when they did that?

i just got back from driving a mile and a half to the gas station for the first time with Natasha as a 4 speed car. i can feel the difference from a close ratio 4 speed ....big difference .....not bad, but indeed different.

i drove it in true Joe dirt fashion....the hump is not welded in yet so i drove her with a huge hole in the floor (wow what a rush to see the street going by really fast LOL) and only one seat.

i heard a lot of strange noises but i think she is settling in......i think the clutch needs more adjusting bcoz when you let the clutch pedal up in makes a hum and it makes a clicking when the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor......to my surprise the clutch pedal is really easy on the knee.....feels like a newer car.

i can feel the OD needs a little more RPM before shifting but once your up to 55-60 MPH that final gear is really smooth....its now a great highway car.....that final gear makes you feel like your slicing through the air.

really bad pics .....but this how she went to the gas station :cheers:

true Joe Dirt style or is that Deertae' style

Rani Dirt

Attachments

• 2012-12-24 17.02.27.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 353
  • 2012-12-24 17.02.38.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 342
-
Back