Need a blasting cabinet

-
I know this thread is 5 years old, but since I started it, I figure I'd do it anyway. Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Barrel Blaster I talked to the owner today, Michael McDavid, and low and behold, he's one of us! He has several 66-67 Chargers and is a real nice guy. Once I get it and try it out, I'll let you know how it works.

I got the cheap floor standing model from Summit. It works good. You have to assemble it with common sense. I went through three tubes of black RTV putting it together, but it seals and holds a vacuum good. I also have an entire kit to upgrade it from that site @CudaChick1968 always talks about. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but it's comin. A cabinet is a cabinet. It's how you assemble it that counts. Nothing in the deestruckshuns said anything about using sealant, but I knew if I didn't it would leak like the Titanic. I am happy with it.

I have a Skat Blast from TP Tools. You TRULY get what you pay for. I've had it for about 12 years now. I got it when I started powder coating. I use it ALL the time. I vent the exhaust from the vacuum outside with a kit from TP Tools. Don't worry about the cost. You will likely make money blasting parts for people, and help pay it off. www.tptools.com/USA-960-DLX-Deluxe-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet,7906.html?b=d*45143

I have a Skat Blast from TP Tools. You TRULY get what you pay for. I've had it for about 12 years now. I got it when I started powder coating. I use it ALL the time. I vent the exhaust from the vacuum outside with a kit from TP Tools. Don't worry about the cost. You will likely make money blasting parts for people, and help pay it off. www.tptools.com/USA-960-DLX-Deluxe-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet,7906.html?b=d*45143

Yeah, that's where I got my upgrade kit. And you're right. You do get what you pay for. But you CAN turn chicken **** into chicken salad if you are careful.

Yeah, that's where I got my upgrade kit. And you're right. You do get what you pay for. But you CAN turn chicken **** into chicken salad if you are careful.
So I'm laying in bed getting ready to turn out the light, and now I want to get up and make a chicken salad sandwich.
Thanks.

I can't believe I just responded no a 5 year old thread. LMAO. Maybe I should pay attention.

Removed post once I found how old it was ! got caught out.

I've had an off shore blast cabinet for a number of years now. Never cared for it, having used professional versions. I upgraded the pickup and gun, then installed a flood light. It was better, but I almost gave it away a couple times because it took up more room in my garage than it was worth.

Found these two videos on YouTube and the cabinet is now in my basement shop and working great. The guy in the second video is incredibly boring... but at about 10 minutes, he outlines how to drop the floor for more room.

I bought a used cabinet from a guy who bought it at a Delta Airlines equipment sale. Nice pro deal for $300.00...

I have the Harbor Freight one as well. I have tempered glass to replace the original window setup. Works pretty good- gun can be temperamental, but there is one available from another company that is said to be more reliable

Just to add to the debate, I lucked into a commercial unit that an electronics company was disposing of. I could not restore the cars and motorcycles I did without it. The downside is it eats a lot of air. My 5-hp compressor cannot really keep up. Some modifications have really helped. Changed gun to one that allows jet changes to better match the available air and extend working time. Improved lighting so I can better see what I'm doing. Cut cabinet and installed a larger window. Cabinet already has large filter system. System is now much improved but I still wish I had a larger compressor. Have learned to be patient. Forgot to mention this is a 110v.

Just to add to the debate, I lucked into a commercial unit that an electronics company was disposing of. I could not restore the cars and motorcycles I did without it. The downside is it eats a lot of air. My 5-hp compressor cannot really keep up. Some modifications have really helped. Changed gun to one that allows jet changes to better match the available air and extend working time. Improved lighting so I can better see what I'm doing. Cut cabinet and installed a larger window. Cabinet already has large filter system. System is now much improved but I still wish I had a larger compressor. Have learned to be patient. Forgot to mention this is a 110v.
I have a big Comp Air/Kellog compressor and it doesn't totally keep up.

My brother bought the HF blaster cabinet, added a frame under it with wheels so he could wheel it outside to use it. He also bought a "bucket head" shop vac conversion kit at home depot that uses a 5 gallon spackle bucket as the base. He restored an 87 monte carlo SS , and dumped a bunch of parts in it over a 1 year period. The bucket head shop vac never broke, not sure what all he upgraded on it, but a buddy of mine had issues w the light in his. Not sure what he did to correct it.

Have a HF cabinet. Modifications I made are. Added another stove bolt between every one on stock cabinet, new gloves ( originals are junk), different lighting ( was going to use original as trouble light, it burned out instantly) , plumbed air to add a blow gun inside cabinet, added smaller spaced screen on bottom , added a baffle over outlet. The gun and siphon tube system needs help, (haven't quit figured that out yet but the more I use my media the better it works , suggesting that finer is better.
Yote

Most of the ceramic nozzles have a collar on them,by adjusting gap you can change the performance.
Too small and sand wont all go through, creates a choke point and eventually plugs up and only way to clear it is to block nozzle and blow sand backwards.
RRR suggested i use glass bead instead of sand in my cabinet, best suggestion yet.
Also draw tube needs a source of open air to assist with siphon,helps prevent bridging.

I know this thread is 5 years old, but since I started it, I figure I'd do it anyway. Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Barrel Blaster I talked to the owner today, Michael McDavid, and low and behold, he's one of us! He has several 66-67 Chargers and is a real nice guy. Once I get it and try it out, I'll let you know how it works.

-
Back