Need a measurement on E body ASAP. Radiator to rad support height.

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not an A body but I already posted it on the E body forum and figured I would double my chances.
Im in the process of custom fitting an aluminum radiator in my 71 cuda. The radiator bolted in fine but needs to be raised up quite a bit to use the factory shroud. So im looking for a measurement from the top of the radiator support to the top of the filler neck. I measured with the factory radiator and it was only slightly less than 3/4"....not enough. I measured my all stock 73 dart sport and it comes in around 1.1" My 73 swinger measured 1.9" and it still has clearance to the hood. I assume the A bodys have about the same clearance but I dont want to take any chances here. The first pic shows how im measuring. The second pic is a mock up with the minimum height I need to make the shroud fit.

20230429_144605.jpg

20230429_145552.jpg

Do you have a hood you can set on?

If so get some playdough, put a rad cap on and set the playdough on top the set the hood in position. Crumpled tin foil will work as well.

The thickness of the playdough will be the clearance

That's too bad.

I doubt that A bodies measurements are all that close to E body

If no one comes up with something before tomorrow, I'll take a look at my 70 tomorrow morning.

The radiator cap (stock 956 radiator) is NOT parallel with the radiator support. It is higher at the back of the cap (1&1/2 inch) than at the front (1&1/8), measuring as you did in the first pic. 1970 challenger, jess in ky

Im not following you. So if you measure on the backside of the radiator support closest to the radiator, its 1 1/8".
I know the is a slight lean on the radiator support and the radiator has it built in as well. Not sure if one compensates for the other.

Thank you for the input, I think I have what I need. Appreciate the help.

-
Back