need a torqueconverter recommendation

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
http://www.lunaticamshafts.com/Product.aspx?id=1545&gid=287 the cam i have calls for a 2400 stall converter,but ive had some other guys with knowledge of some strong performers tell me i need a 3000 stall.My combo is a 318,bored .030,federalmogul flat tops,mopar thin head gaskets,302 heads,ported and gasket matched to a weiand stealth intake.Summit 1 5/8 headers,tti 2 1/2 pipes with flowmaster muffs,904 tranny rebuilt,shift kit.A 8.75 rear,original plan was 3.23s,having second thoughts now,because of gas prices.Ive got a 650 holley,and a 750 vaccum secondary,that the cam calls for.I want this car to be mostly street cruiser,with some strip time a few times a year.So with me not knowing much about stall converters,what size do i need to get the most streetable driveability out of this thing.Even if i lose a little of the drag strip performance,i want to be able to drive the car all over the us with out burning up the tranny,or the converter slipping too much

Toby,
Call Kenny Ford at PTC 1-256-383-6868 he's very good and owns the company. I bet he'll tell you about 3000 or 3200.

i would call dynamic,ptc and ultimate and see what they recomend and go with the one your most comfortable with. your better off with one built to your combo not just something off the shelf. you will be alot happier in the long run like that.

"your better off with one built to your combo not just something off the shelf."

+1, i run a Dyanmic as well.

so i see there like $500.00 for a good one,so i guess it will be a while before i can go that route.Maybe the stock one will get me by for a little while?

I talked with Tim @ PTC and they are building my 9.5" converter with a billet front made for my combo, cost $434 + shipping. Way better than an off the shelf one.

I bet you Dynamic and PTC try and sell you a 9.5" converter. Ultimate will recommend a 10".

I think a 9.5" is overkill for a mild 318.

i think 3000 is too stiff for that duration of cam. i would go with something in the 2400-2600 range. they will fluctuate because of car weight, torque, etc.

then again its just my opinion...........

-
Back