Need advice

-

Paul Volpe

Reaction score
I bought a 340 last summer from a lady who's husband passed away. She didn't have any information on it other than she remembered him saying it was a top notch motor. The guy was a Harley mechanic and was building a pro street dart,He went with a 440 instead of the 340. It's a December 68 build date, has x heads. Not sure what to do? Bring it to an engine builder and have it look at? Any advice would be great Thanks Paul

Attachments

• 1970 340.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 261
it's clean as heck - do you have any receipts? you could just sell it as is... I am nearby, what ya want for it? :twisted:

Doesn't even look like it's ever been run since it's last overhaul. If you could get some oil in it and do a compression check it would tell you a lot!! You could also use a scope through the plug holes to see if it still has good cross hatching on the cylinders. Do you know if it's been ran since overhaul?? If not, has it been "broken in"?? Could be worth big bucks or it could also run like a raped ape!!

I have too many questions and you haven't provided enough info.........

treblig

I'm searching for a 68-9 dart , 70 duster. I don't have any receipts I think I'll try the scope first. The lady I bought it from thought there was a tag on it at one time but it was gone . Thanks guys

Those old 340s ain't worth much. If you were a little closer I'd come over n haul it away for ya. Ya know,they're not much more than a big-bore teener right.Way over-rated. You know the bores are just 3.3% bigger,right? That's like about 2/16s. That's just about the size of the gap between some peoples two front teeth.Almost nothin'. So, yeah; I suppose I could make a coupleacalls and find somebody to pick it up,for ya, since it's takin' up valuable space n all. Next week ok?

Of course I'm being a dick. Super nice find!

That's the shortest post I think I have seen in a long while while only containing 1 math equation. Holy smokes AJ, your getting soft on us. Quick, someone drop a J head on his foot to wake him up!

Lmao!

To the thread starter, just run that baby! Find the receipts if you can and discover what cam is in there!

Does the exhaust side look ported ?
Pop a valve cover off measure the lift
Give you a ballpark of what cam is in it

You could always sell it to a resto guy looking for that build date or possibly even the original car owner if you get lucky with #'s. Then take the $ and build a nice late model block and a set of nice heads.

That's a nice find, probably $2k or more if you can document the parts and if it has not been broken in yet

of course I was sorta poking you too :poke: - does it have oil in it? (I sure hope so!) if it does, try to hand turn the beast - got compression? if yes, take the plugs out, put a few drops of oil down each cylinder and hand turn it several times - coat those cylinders. If you don't get compression at first, take it to an engine builder if you're not up for a tear down.

Thanks for all the great info, it does have oil in it . I'll try hand turning and look at the exhaust ports. The more I dig into it I will post more pictures thanks again

Nice 340! That thing looks CLEAN.

If the compression checks out, I'd just run it as-is. Since he was building it for a pro street Dart, I wonder what kind of manners it'll have. Streetable but rowdy would be my guess.

That has the cast iron water pump and proper timing chain cover for a car 69 and earlier will bolt up....

-
Back