Need guidance taking off center link

-

LivewireBlanco

Reaction score
I'm putting on Hooker comp headers in my 71 Dart. The engine is out of the car so tons of room but I understand I need the center link to go through the headers. I've never taken off anything from the suspension so this is all new and it doesn't matter which side of the center link I remove, whichever is easier since there is no engine in yet. I have a Haynes Manuel but it's not very clear to me. Do I need the tires off? Pittan pulled? Any help appreciated.

I would NOT use a pickle fork which will destroy the rubber seals

O'Reallys auto parts evidently loans out tools.

I've used the cheapo O'Reallys or Horrid Freight puller usually called a "pitman arm" puller

w142.jpg

Remove nut install the puller tighten it up good and tight, and then smack the end of the screw with a BFH (That's a hammer, boy.....)

you dont need to pull the pitman arm off to remove the center link....just need to separate it from the drag link.....replacement rubber seals are cheap....

Ok so going at it from the passenger side will be easier and I should get a separator tool. 2 nuts and that's it? No tires off, no jacking up the car?

you dont need to pull the pitman arm off to remove the center link....just need to separate it from the drag link.....replacement rubber seals are cheap....

You are not......you are using the (smaller) pitman puller to pull the taper out of the center link..........Just used one, on a Dakota........

(Actually might be easier to pull the pitman, leave it on the link, and or pull the idler off the frame end)

Whatever y'all think is easiest. I can slide the header on from either side. Kinda nice not having an engine in while doing this.

WAIT A MINUTE.........Hooker? I did not think the Hookers involved the steering link................

This car is new to me and there are a lot of patches on the wiring. I honestly couldn't tell you why.

This car is new to me and there are a lot of patches on the wiring. I honestly couldn't tell you why.
Not just yours I assure you. It seems to be one of the biggest areas of concern for most old Mopars. Perhaps because the wiring is so simple guys think they can easily modify it to there needs? And in the process mess it up. Who knows.

Thanks so much for the picture. Looks like exactly what I am doing now. Cleared up a lot of my questions. Hope the header install went well.
Went well. Didn't have to modify shifter linkage either. The drivers side does hang low so tuck that exhaust piping up as high as possible. Also I am putting better bolts that tighten with Allen wrench. Cant get much wrench on a couple. Good luck!

My shifter linkage looks the same as yours so I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why I would have to modify it like the instructions say. They are patriot headers but they look the same as yours. Did you have to support anything when you took the suspension apart?

My shifter linkage looks the same as yours so I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why I would have to modify it like the instructions say. They are patriot headers but they look the same as yours. Did you have to support anything when you took the suspension apart?
No. My engine was out so I removed passenger side center link and moved it over.

-
Back