Need Help - 68 Barracuda Ing Swith Removal

-

matsucu06

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Need some help on how to remove the ignition switch from a 68 Barracuda. Assuming it's the same for a Dart... Looking to remove the entire switch unit to swap the "Key" assembly. Ignition and doors were keyed different when I bought the car, so I purchased a matching ignition and door lock set. Door replacement is fairly easy, but not sure how to remove ignition unit. Seems like I'm supposed to unscrew the front locking ring, but no good way to grab onto it. Below is a picture of the front and top view... Any tricks?

Attachments

• Ignition-Barracuda.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Ignition-BarracudaTop.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 182
There is a special removal tool for inst bezels for sale on ebay. Also you could use a set of snap ring pliers. Once the outer bezel is off the ign switch will pull out from behind the dash. I DONT recommend a hammer and screwdriver to tap the bezel. Its an easy job though really

There is a special removal tool for inst bezels for sale on ebay. Also you could use a set of snap ring pliers. Once the outer bezel is off the ign switch will pull out from behind the dash. I DONT recommend a hammer and screwdriver to tap the bezel. Its an easy job though really

Okay, thanks. I think I'll try a snap ring pliers first and go from there...

All these switches have a small locating tang in a notch. There is a small amount of movement there. Apply counterclockwise force to the bezel nut while rocking the switch from behind will often promote loosening.
Please note.. With other stiches the little rotating movement isn't an issue. It could become an issue with ignition switches over time if the nut isn't well tightened to prevent repeating movement.

-
Back