need help for suspension..

-

cesar.r.burgos

Reaction score
ok so im kyb right now im trying to make my 72 demon run smoothly and im gettting new tires this weekend..im pretty sure that the previous owner never changed the shocks so question is do i buy both shocks or just the the rear... next is the springs... what do i do there...

Hard to understand what you are asking. You say you have KYB shocks now, but the shocks haven't been changed, meaning they are old? If you have old worn out shocks, newer monotube gas shocks like KYB's will certainly help.

Air shocks should be avoided if you are after "smooth" or "good handling" as they will provide neither. If you want your car to look like a stinkbug in heat, they are a cheap way to stick the *** end way up in the air.

If your car wanders, bounces all over the place, and it leans like a sailboat in a hurricane, I would start by rebuilding the front suspension and adding a front sway bar with good matching shocks all around.

... next is the springs... what do i do there...

Is the rear of the car sagging now? Was it a /6 car converted to a V8 but still has the /6 rear and front springs?

Can you measure the diameter of the front torsion bar you have right now?

Does it feel to you that the car has too soft of springs?

it does feel like it has loose springs i went with the kyb gas-a-just monotube i think i mght need to replace the front spring but idk where to get that................. it still has the /6 225 in it...

Hard to understand what you are asking. You say you have KYB shocks now, but the shocks haven't been changed, meaning they are old? If you have old worn out shocks, newer monotube gas shocks like KYB's will certainly help.

Air shocks should be avoided if you are after "smooth" or "good handling" as they will provide neither. If you want your car to look like a stinkbug in heat, they are a cheap way to stick the *** end way up in the air.

If your car wanders, bounces all over the place, and it leans like a sailboat in a hurricane, I would start by rebuilding the front suspension and adding a front sway bar with good matching shocks all around.
Ditto! Air shocks can be dangerous too, as anyone who's ever had one blow out at high speed can confirm! Buy whatever shocks you need. A bounce test will tell you which ones are bad. As for rear springs, if the springs are 6 leaf and not sagging, throw some new bushings in them and you're good to go. If they're sagged out, you might be able to have them re-arced to bring them up to the proper road height. If they are less than 6 leafs, have some added to get at least 6 in the pack....7 if you really want it stiff. If they're really in bad shape, there are spring sets available in the usual sources online. They're usually cheaper than having a set made.

it does feel like it has loose springs i went with the kyb gas-a-just monotube i think i mght need to replace the front spring but idk where to get that................. it still has the /6 225 in it...

At this point you might want to just get some V8 Torsion Bars. The ones out of V8 cars with air conditioning are the same size at the 340 torsion bars.

You need to get it on jackstands andd go through and check each suspension part.

How long have you owned it?

ive owned it for 8 months when i post pics up youll see its had one previosuowner she was like 80 something years old

-
Back