NEED HELP!!!! I think hughes engines sent me 1.5 rockers instead of 1.6 ratio...ughhh

-
You need to be looking at both sides of the rocker arm. With the valve open 65% ( small block )of the total valve lift, the rocker to valve stem contact should be in the middle of the valve stem. At the same time, the rocker arm adjuster screw [set to show about 1 thread below the rocker surface - or the pushrod cup as close to the rocker as possible] should be in a straight line with the pushrod.

This what I have learned/heard for a long time.

I know it all depends on the length of the adjuster, but all the aluminum rockers I have used ...you only end up with about 2 or so threads up top and about 1 1/2 on the underside.

But I think i saw somewhere that the hughes rockers use extra long adjusters....I guess thats how they get the number, just by exaggerating the lift via adjuster.

Consider the rocker/valve tip geometry, is the wear mark in the middle of the valve tip?

Where in so cal are you ?
I am in vista

checkout their instructions http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/NewRockerArmGeometryInstructionsApr2011.pdf
Yes the wear mark is within Hughes' acceptable limits. Which is 0.040 from the edge of the stem. I'm pretty close to the center. Correct, the only thing that should matter is the adjuster length and taking up the slack with the adjustible pushrod. Maybe my dial indicator angle is off a couple degrees and not perfectly parrallel with the valve stem. Any number of variables combined could make up for my lift loss. Of course, like Rob says about the Mopar engines. What a headache. I just want the correct pushrod length for max lift possible. Is that too much to ask........pulling what's left of my receeding hairline. LOL.

I'm in Ventura.

Take a trip up to Santa Barbara on your way up. You're only 3-4 hours away lol. Bummer. Same for you Rob :(

checkout their instructions http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/NewRockerArmGeometryInstructionsApr2011.pdf
Yes the wear mark is within Hughes' acceptable limits. Which is 0.040 from the edge of the stem. I'm pretty close to the center. Correct, the only thing that should matter is the adjuster length and taking up the slack with the adjustible pushrod. Maybe my dial indicator angle is off a couple degrees and not perfectly parrallel with the valve stem. Any number of variables combined could make up for my lift loss. Of course, like Rob says about the Mopar engines. What a headache. I just want the correct pushrod length for max lift possible. Is that too much to ask........pulling what's left of my receeding hairline. LOL.

I'm in Ventura.

Right on, just pointing out that you can increase the lift by adjuster, doesn't mean it's right though, maybe compensating..so I guess as long as the angle isn't too bad on the adjuster..just go with it and be happy.
I putting a solid roller in mine, so it will be worse in that regard, but I do have dead nuts rocker/valve geometry at least.

You need to be looking at both sides of the rocker arm. With the valve open 65% ( small block )of the total valve lift, the rocker to valve stem contact should be in the middle of the valve stem. At the same time, the rocker arm adjuster screw [set to show about 1 thread below the rocker surface - or the pushrod cup as close to the rocker as possible] should be in a straight line with the pushrod.

This what I have learned/heard for a long time.

that's correct and I stated that above. Apparently, Hughes does not go by that any longer. I brought that up. They changed their instruction sheets Quite s bit from the ones that I originally rec'd.

The original instructions said one thread showing. I've been going off of their latest instructions in the link I posted

If you're measuring at the adjuster, it's the pushrod angle that's taking away the lift. I think (just a guess on my part) that one of the reasons Hughes and Lunati Voo Doo lobes have more lift is not just to get the fast rate of lift, but to also compensate for what you lose. With hydraulic rollers this loss is the worst, and I think the last time I measured it was on the order of .024" on a .558 lift hyd roller cam. Like 1Wild, I put no more than one thread below the rocker body.

If you're measuring at the adjuster, it's the pushrod angle that's taking away the lift. I think (just a guess on my part) that one of the reasons Hughes and Lunati Voo Doo lobes have more lift is not just to get the fast rate of lift, but to also compensate for what you lose. With hydraulic rollers this loss is the worst, and I think the last time I measured it was on the order of .024" on a .558 lift hyd roller cam. Like 1Wild, I put no more than one thread below the rocker body.

Click this link and it will explain exactly what i did. http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/NewRockerArmGeometryInstructionsApr2011.pdf

Measuring off the retainer my loss was .024" with my hyd. roller cam. The Hughes Rockers are designed to supposed "compensate" for the geometry losses according to Hughes. Hughes doesn't care about the number of threads showing any more. Just the max lift, end of story from them. :hello2:

What engine combo did you have? Block, heads, lifters, cam? Would be interesting to know.

The hydraulic roller lifters are 9/16" longer than flat tappets. Thus making the pushrod/lifter angle even worse.

I'm running a 383 with hydraulic flat tappet lifter on a MP .509 cam so my engine isn't a fair comparison other than the end results. Below is the wipe pattern on No.1 intake valve.

Attachments

• P1010071.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 116
I'm running a 383 with hydraulic flat tappet lifter on a MP .509 cam so my engine isn't a fair comparison other than the end results. Below is the wipe pattern on No.1 intake valve.

Unfortunately the big block does not suffer the same geometry issues as the small block mopar. :-(

About the same wipe pattern for me.

I will post some pictures when I can.

Good news I guess. Dave at Hughes called yesterday and said he got to wondering about the lifter lengths after we talked. Well, he lost about 0.010" with the hydraulic roller lifter. So I'm going go with what I got. :)

-
Back