Need help on 66 dart gt rebuild

-

scottsman

Reaction score
I have a 1966 dart gt that had a 225 that i pulled and rebuilt a 318 to go in . I have the mount and brackets for the 318, 904 rebuilt on it , but the k frame from a 1966 273 seems to line up but the oil pan is hitting. i need a rear sump pan , so i removed the oil pan and fit the k-frame to the engine it seems that it might fit if i changed the oil pan but i'm not sure i'm on the right track ,and i am getting frustated. if you can help pictures also.
thanks

What did the 318 come out of. If it was a pick up or van it will have the wrong pan for a car. You may need the steering center link from a V-8 A Body to make it work. Others that have done this swap will chime in. tmm

thanks guys.
if anyone has a picture of or brackets and mounts for a 1966 v8 this will help[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_114407.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20140831_115521.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 121
I remember the 65 Plymouth used a fat-azz insulator compared to the 67+ years, 4 inches thick compared to 1. I used a generic chrome 318/340 pan and it fits fine, about an inch clearance around the K. Rear sump will hit center link. These are the fat boys.
motormount.jpg

Thin later models will set motor lower in K for reference
mz2CWEfCKvglYbV4VZyalMA.jpg

Chrome thermostat housings and chrome oil pans have a tendency of leaking. I wouldn't use them.

I'm almost positive the 273 has a rear sump pan. The one in my car has been modified extensively so I can't tell for sure. I think you'll have to modify the oil pump pickup when you change the pan. Might as well change the oil pump also. Put in a good brand name one.

The center link should clear the rear sump pan. The link is dropped in the center.

The thick motor mount and bracket that "pishta" has shown is for the 273.

64-66 used 2 different center links- 1 for /6 and a drop for V-8 cars. The pan you have on your motor looks right. The thin motor mount is for a 67-72 car. You need the thick mount that Pishta posted. Also, you will need the metal brackets that bolt to the motor from a 64-66 A body V-8 car. You can only see part of the drivers side in your picture, but it doesn't look right. Post some pictures of your brackets and center link.

I looked back at your pictures, the rubber insulator on the drivers side is wrong and you motor is sitting too far back in the k frame.

You need motor mounts and brackets for a 66-earlier car (about 2" thick vs. 1" thick on the mounts). The pan looks fine.

thanks guys ,
i will send you what i have on there now , those brackets and mounts where from a b body and i didn't know at the time . i should have pictures tonight of pan and all.

As I said, there is only one center link used in 1966. It's the V8 one that was used in 1964 and 65.

In the Member Restoration section, check out the 1965 Dodge DartCharger restoration. He has tons of photos of the build. On page 7, entry 165 is the correct oil pan. I didn't go through the entire Thread because it is over 100 pages long.

By the way, it's a nice car........................

This is a 1967 -- 273 engine. It should have the same pan as the 1966. Those are the original 1966 D/Dart headers on the engine.

Attachments

• P1010332.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 107
-
Back