Need Help On Transmission Question

-

71ScampBB

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Plymouth Scamp and have got a 383bb to drop in bought my motor mount conversion kit but have a question about the tail shaft on the 727 it is to long for my drive shaft is there anyway to convert it to a short tail shaft or buy a drive shaft i have no idea need all the advice i can get Much appreciated.

All A/B/C/E body 727's are the same length. Just about the only other tailshaft option would be the really short truck unit, but you don't want that. What did the car have in it before? A 904 I'm guessing? Also, you need to look at which slip yoke and pinion yoke you'll need, along with the associated U-joints. You can buy a new driveshaft for around $300 I think, but it would be much cheaper just to find a used one that fits or have a long one shortened.

You will have to have one cut or made to the size you need. Plus if you plan on changing the rear axle to an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. It would be nice to have one in the car before you measure for the driveshaft size. I got one from Mancini racing. They go with a different company for them.

The bigblock 727 tailshaft is longer...thus there is nothing you can do other than measure and order a shorter one....8)

The bigblock 727 tailshaft is longer...thus there is nothing you can do other than measure and order a shorter one....8)

727 passender car tailshafts are all the same....only some pickup trucks and RV had the short tailshaft...

small block and big block are the same...

the driveshaft that came with the scamp is more then likely a 904 driveshaft....and 904s are about 4 inches shorter...then a 727...hence the too long driveshaft....

another note...the 904 slip yoke will not fit the 727...

It is a simple thing to cut and balance your shaft-$150.
Never cut and balance one if you step up to a 383 or 440 big block...get a new 3 1/2" one made with monster 1350 Spicer u-joints..front sliding yoke has to be replaced and I would at least run a 8 3/4" rearend...my Dart can spin the tires at 55 mph..

To add to this thread, make sure you leave around 3/4 of an inch freeplay going into the transmission.This allows the rear to kick up on sudden acceleration without bottoming into the transmission. Thats what I do anyhow.

-
Back