Need help please!! 70 Dart trunk emblem

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I am trying to get hole location for 70 Dart trunk emblem. I am assuming its not glued on. Do all the studs have nuts on them?

My Dart is getting paint now and need to drill holes for emblem because the trunk lid is from 71 Dart. Heres a few pics of progress

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

Hope these help. good looken project. was that a challenger in the background?

70-dart-ron.jpg

70swng53.jpg

1970-dodge-dart-4.jpg

96_1.JPG

a883_3.JPG

9b06_3.JPG

MySwinger2.jpg

d408_3.JPG

b3_1_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics....though I wondering how they are connected, are they glued on or they have studs and nuts? The 70 dodge emblem I have is like the one on the last pic or the yellow Dart with go wing. The issue is the holes for the 71 Dodge Emblem has different holes than the 70 emblem. My body guy says that if he drills the holes there is no way to get the nuts on the emblem and is wanting to cut the studs off and glue them on. I am pretty sure they are suppose to be put on with th nuts on the back and not glued on. Just trying to figure out where the holes are and if you can indeed get nuts on the back side.

Yes the car in the background is a Challenger convert its a factory plum crazy. On the other side of the dart he has a 68 or 69 Hemi Charger Super Stock, I think he said factory SS. It was recently pulled out of the wood. I forgot the name on the side but it was raced in North Carolina apparently. I will snap some pics next time I stop by.

just went out and checked mine. it is held on with two studs / nuts. one on the far left side of the D, the other on the round part of the G. the back side of the decklid has about 5/8 holes cut through the reinforcement at those two spots. hth

From my experience most of the emblems are with nut and stud. With todays glues thought I think gluing them would be a fine way to go. can't wait to see pics of the ss

just went out and checked mine. it is held on with two studs / nuts. one on the far left side of the D, the other on the round part of the G. the back side of the decklid has about 5/8 holes cut through the reinforcement at those two spots. hth

Thanks!! Do you know what they did to the other 2 studs....are the cut off or just holes drilled and no nuts on them?

Here are a couple more pics of the my Dart (almost done!!) and some of the 68 charger. Its a factory 68 hemi 4sp, he called it a bullet special, it was raced in North Carolina.
DSC01710.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

DSC01715.jpg

DSC01716.jpg

Did you get the answer you needed?
I have 3 1970 Darts in the back yard and can help if you still need it.
BIG QUESTION though: Is your Dart a 1970 340 Swinger? Of the 3 1970 340 Swingers I have owned 2 Had The DART SWINGER on the trunk lid and one had only the Dodge emblem! Never have got a straight answer on why the difference.

Later,
Bruce B.

To my knowledge and going to many shows plus being around when the cars were new the solo Dodge emblem that appears hand written was the only one I can remember being on the lid. Never saw any new 70 cars with the Dart Swinger emblems on the trunk lid but there seems to be many around these days.
It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve with your car. Unless you are going absolute 100 point resto it really does not matter in reality. Are you going to put the hood emblem on the front center of the hood too. Many dont have the emblem on the hood which was corect and on 70 Swingers but many leave them off for reasons of their own.
Take a look at a show. Some 70 Dart Swinger 340s have 3 piece trunk and extension trim, 3 piece hood and extension trim, side moulding trim, wheel well trim and bumperettes. Some dont. some have a mishmosh of a little of this and that. You can get confused real fast. The only true answer lies in factory and dealer brochures. These are time correct pics and pretty much gives you the 'skinny' on emblems and trim as everyone has a different opinion on what should or should not be on the car. Just like the grille blackout treatment on the 70 models. Some have it and some dont. I have heard the arguement that only the 340 models had the blackout grille treatment and the low end Custom model had the all silver grilles but look at the show and you will see many 70 340 Swingers with both types. I can go on and on about the differences as I have beat myself up trying to make mine correct. In the end its all about what you want as just about anything goes in regards to emblems and trim.
Truly, a 70 Swinger 340 was a fast little car and loading it down with lots of extras was not the practice. Bumperettes, mouldings, wheel well trim, carpet padding, sound deadener etc were not used so when you see a 'fully loaded' 70 340 Swinger likely it is owners choice to load it up for cosmetics. Sorry for the long winded answer but this is a quest that goes way back for me.
Chas.

My 71 Dart has no emblems on the trunk lid. my 71 Scamp had the emblem in the wrong spot.

IM000236.jpg

Every other Scamp I have seen had the emblem and sticker over about 8"

The way these cars were delivered seems to be in the wind. The only comment I have is; Stick with your Build Sheet! It does not lie. It does not always tell the whole story either. As I said above 2 of my 340 Swinger's had the Dart Swinger on the trunk and 1 did not. I bought all 3 cars from the original owners and none of them were likley to have modified the emblems. Oh well... The answer still eludes, Could it be the Plant they were built at? The Dealer? The build date? hmm......

Later,
Bruce B.

As far as I can tell, Darts and Swingers had only the Dodge emblem.
70_Dart0004.jpg

340s had the Dart Swinger emblem
70_Scat_Pack0010.jpg

340s had the

I know this an old thread but I to would like to know what determined if the DODGE scripted emblem or the DART SWINGER emblem was used but like my past friend Bruce said there seems to be no clear answer?

To my knowledge and going to many shows plus being around when the cars were new the solo Dodge emblem that appears hand written was the only one I can remember being on the lid. Never saw any new 70 cars with the Dart Swinger emblems on the trunk lid but there seems to be many around these days.
It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve with your car. Unless you are going absolute 100 point resto it really does not matter in reality. Are you going to put the hood emblem on the front center of the hood too. Many dont have the emblem on the hood which was corect and on 70 Swingers but many leave them off for reasons of their own.
Take a look at a show. Some 70 Dart Swinger 340s have 3 piece trunk and extension trim, 3 piece hood and extension trim, side moulding trim, wheel well trim and bumperettes. Some dont. some have a mishmosh of a little of this and that. You can get confused real fast. The only true answer lies in factory and dealer brochures. These are time correct pics and pretty much gives you the 'skinny' on emblems and trim as everyone has a different opinion on what should or should not be on the car. Just like the grille blackout treatment on the 70 models. Some have it and some dont. I have heard the arguement that only the 340 models had the blackout grille treatment and the low end Custom model had the all silver grilles but look at the show and you will see many 70 340 Swingers with both types. I can go on and on about the differences as I have beat myself up trying to make mine correct. In the end its all about what you want as just about anything goes in regards to emblems and trim.
Truly, a 70 Swinger 340 was a fast little car and loading it down with lots of extras was not the practice. Bumperettes, mouldings, wheel well trim, carpet padding, sound deadener etc were not used so when you see a 'fully loaded' 70 340 Swinger likely it is owners choice to load it up for cosmetics. Sorry for the long winded answer but this is a quest that goes way back for me.
Chas.

Your last paragraph if I take it correctly is very misleading......ALL of the options you listed WERE factory options available in 1970 on a SWINGER 340 not just people adding things to their cars and I believe all were also available on the "69 SWINDER 340.

Although I don't know a definitive answer, I can tell you my
1970 Dart Swinger has the Dodge script that is bolted on in
the passenger side corner and nothing else.
I can provide pics if you need them.

PAGING JOEL COOPER! Lol! Joel(who runs the 70 340 dart registry) told me that all 1970 340 swingers had the two piece dart swinger emblem on the deck lid. The same as the quarter panels. I also think that all 70 340 swingers came from the Windsor Ontario plant.

I know this is old, here's my contribution... 70 Swinger 340

only the 70 Dart swinger 340 cars had DART Swinger on the deck lid. all other engine displacements had the DODGE. only the flower of swinger had a NUT SCREWED on. all other studs had barrel nuts.

1971 had DODGE in block letters with three studs and barrel nuts.

1972 had DODGE as a stick-on.

hope this helps
Joel

Can anyone provide the 70 Dart Swinger placement measurements on the Trunk? How far from the right trunk edge to the R in Swinger should it be placed and how far up from the bottom trunk edge? Hope this makes sense.
Thanks, Dave W.

-
Back