Need help to identify years

-
Reaction score
My name is Matt and I am in charge of new product development at Champion Cooling. We have a new 19inch Radiator that was developed using a 64 Dart Radiator. The Customer has not sent us any info about the car, can anybody identify what other years it will fit and what engine configuration. Our Industry "Radiator Cross Referance Catalog" Does not go back this far. Any help for other years this will fit would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Matt
Champion Cooling

Attachments

• 64DT.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 284
I would suggest you go on ebay and pick up an old Hollander Interchange catalog. you really should have one.
it will give you all the information you'll need for all makes and models.
there are different ones covering foreign, and domestic, as well as truck. then there are ones covering body, electrical, and mechanical.
here's a link for you:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...llander+interchange&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Hollander Interchange covers about a 10 year span for the most part. You will need to buy the right year span manual or it won't help you. There is also some A, B, C, etc interchanges that you will have to learn exactly what the differences are because it may be a one way interchange. I have the manual you need in my personal collection but I can't identify the interchange without knowing what engine this radiator was designed for. Maybe some one more familiar with the early A's will chime in with more information.

Thanks guys...got one on order!!!

You will still need to figure out what the original radiator application was. There are no pictures in the Hollander for radiators. You had to have a radiator for a pattern didn't you? If you do have it look and see if it has numbers on it and post them. Those numbers could identify the original application.

I agree...we are trying to get a hold of the owner and get the motor configuration. We just made a copy of his original and thats why we were trying to figure out what other cars it fits. Thanks a lot!

Was your pattern radiator from a guy named Gary? If so it is a slant 6 automatic.

Facing the radiator from the front, the top hose is offset to the left 6-1/2" from the edge of the core to the center of the hose. The bottom is on the extreme left side. The cap is centered and the drain is to the right.

The core measures approximately 18-1/2" wide, by 17" high, and is 1-1/4" thick.

Look at this thread. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=149998

All I know is after being told what the local radiator shop wanted to recore mine (and shorten it by 1") I decided I would put in a Champion. How do I get started ordering one?

My 65 Dart w/ 273 small-block uses a 22" wide radiator, 18" high (core size?). I think slant six engines were the same overall size. Some slant six radiators had a smaller core, but the same overall dimensions (w/ sheet metal spacer). I think that was only in the 1970's when they changed to a 26" wide radiator. Anyway, anybody would prefer having a full-width core.

All slant six engines (225 cu in and less, until 1981?) had the lower tube on the passenger's side, all 1.5"D.

Small-block V-8 (273, 318, 340, 360) with the early cast-iron water pump (to 1971?) had the lower tube on the driver's side, all 1.5"D (mine is, and matches the water pump inlet size).

Later small-block V-8's (1972?) have the aluminum water pump. The lower tube is 1.75"D on the passenger's side (matches water pump inlet).

Upper tubes appear to vary, perhaps dependant on AC. I think all are 1.5"D, for slant six, small block, and BB big block (383, 400). Don't know about RB big-block (413, 440). However, the location seems to vary. Most original radiators I have seen in photos have the inlet on the driver's side. However, in my 1965 Newport 383 and 1965 Dart 273, that location would interfere with the after-market AC compressor (York or Tecumseh). I don't know about the Chrysler compressor since I think it was mounted more toward the center, at least by ~1971. My original radiators had the upper tube on the passenger's side of the fill neck, some more toward the edge than others.

Some people switch to the later aluminum water pump in small-blocks (I did), so the year of the car doesn't always matter. That mainly sets the core width. Even with the correct width, some people have found after-market aluminum radiators to be slightly too tall. I even have a copper 22"W one (from B-body?) that is too tall for my Dart (but not Newport). Even though the later Magnum engines are termed "small-block" (5.2L and 5.9L 80's & 90's trucks) and are essentially the same engine, the radiators are probably much different, though many people put those engines in older A bodies.

Once you produce the radiator, the main thing is to fully detail all important dimensions and to have a correct photo. I am amazed how many radiator sellers can't do that, so it is a crap-shoot what you get. Classic car owners are smart enough to figure out if it will fit if you give them the info they need.

Lots of guesses in this thread! This is not a slant-6 radiator (bottom hose fitting in wrong place). It's for a '64 Dart, Valiant, and Barracuda with a 273 V8, automatic or manual transmission. Does not fit '63 or earlier cars (no V8 available), does not fit '65+ (wider radiator mounting pattern).

If the upper hose fitting were moved either several inches to the right or slightly to the left and the lower hose fitting and the drain **** were swapped, the result would be a radiator suitable for '63-'64 Dart, Valiant, Barracuda with slant-6 engine.

Lots of guesses in this thread! This is not a slant-6 radiator (bottom hose fitting in wrong place). It's for a '64 Dart, Valiant, and Barracuda with a 273 V8, automatic or manual transmission. Does not fit '63 or earlier cars (no V8 available), does not fit '65+ (wider radiator mounting pattern).

If the upper hose fitting were moved either several inches to the right or slightly to the left and the lower hose fitting and the drain **** were swapped, the result would be a radiator suitable for '63-'64 Dart, Valiant, Barracuda with slant-6 engine.
Yup, and if you wanted to use the factory lower hose for that year, you would need to make the lower hose connection curved like the original or use the later, straight pipe type hose. Also, the small block V8's used the cast iron water pump through '69 and started the aluminum ones in the '70 model year. The timing cover, balancer, brackets, and pulleys were also changed at that time.

Is the photo one of the actual radiator you guys built or just a generic photo? Can you do in aluminum the early curved top tank -the square top tanks just don't "look" right in an earlier A Body.

If the photo is of the model you are making. The first problem I see is the overflow nipple is on the wrong side.

Are there plans for a /6 version '64 Dart radiator in the works? Mine is shot and I wanted to order one really bad. Could you guys do a "custom" build based on my specs? I'm sure there are more than a few guys on here who would order one if you made them. Hell, I'll haul mine down to you if necessary. Tired of re-brazing my upper tank just to have it leak again 3 months later.

Just sent an e-mail to Champion regarding plans on whether/not they plan on producing a '64 /6 radiator. Or, whether/not they can do a custom build using mine as a guide. I'm not too far from them so, I can haul my radiator down there if I have to. Hopefully they will begin producing them as, I'm sure a few of you will probably buy one.

Hey Kustom. Looks like you may be developing a great product that will surely be in demand. With that said you may find it beneficial to contact your CEO and suggest your company becomes a vendor here at FABO. For this you will need to contact the boss. Joey. Good luck with it.
Small Block

I'd take one for a 67 dart slant six automatic !!

64dart270...we can use your oem radiator as a proto type and we will put it into production. I will see who got your email and make sure they follow up with you. Thanks.

Hey Kustom. Looks like you may be developing a great product that will surely be in demand. With that said you may find it beneficial to contact your CEO and suggest your company becomes a vendor here at FABO. For this you will need to contact the boss. Joey. Good luck with it.
Small Block
I believe we have a distrubuter who already was signed up on your forum...I will investigate it though. Thanks for the invite!

Got a call from Geoff at Champion. Will be calling him back this week. Info from his message and e-mail indicate a a /6 rad in production a few months from now. But, for a little bit more, they can take the V8 rad and re-weld a new tank with correct outlet and petcock locations. Still comes in right around $300 with the extra labor. Seems pretty reasonable to me considering Griffin and Be Cool rads are starting out at $650+. As far as tube size is concerned, I'm running a relatively stock /6 which never runs hot (except when the brazed the braze on my rad tank fails again). So for me, the champion should more than do the trick. Would be interested in fabricating a fan shroud in the future as an extra measure.

-
Back