Need help with '64 push-button bezel disassembly

-

Ridge911

Reaction score
I am trying to pull my dash trim in order to clean/strip and restore the pieces. I am stuck on the push-button bezel disassembly. The picture below is as far as I've gotten. The repair manual I have is of no help, and I can't tell from it's pictures how to do it. Looking at the picture: It feels firmly attached on the left side, but the right side (after removing the two screws) is loose. Any advice?

View attachment PB Shifter removal pic.jpg

The star nuts in the headlamp and wiper switch knob recesses are holding the plate to the dash. If you don't have the correct spanner tool (most of us don't), then carefully insert the points of a snap ring pliers into two opposite slots in the bezel nut and carefully turn anticlockwise. If you cannot break them loose (or you don't have snap ring pliers), make very careful use of a slotted screwdriver and small hammer to break them loose. Take your time so you don't slip and scratch or scar the plastic plate.

Note these nuts are also what hold the headlamp and wiper switches to the rear of the dash panel.

Ah! I had a sneaking suspicion that these were removable! I had tried tapping one of them off with a screwdriver, but I didn't know for sure, so I stopped trying, for fear of damaging the plastic. I will break out my snap ring pliers this weekend. Dan, you are my bearded knight in shining armor! Thanks for the save.

while you have it off, carfully clean and lube the pushbutton assembly. You would be surprised how much crud builds up in there. Use a compressed air or a can of PC duster to get most of it out. Then follow with an old toothbrush and a gentle soap and water. Use a quality llubricant and your shifter assembly will thank you.

while you have it off, carfully clean and lube the pushbutton assembly. You would be surprised how much crud builds up in there. Use a compressed air or a can of PC duster to get most of it out. Then follow with an old toothbrush and a gentle soap and water. Use a quality llubricant and your shifter assembly will thank you.
I wouldn't use water (I hate to let rust get a foothold!) but cleaning the mechanism is a good idea. I use carb or brake cleaner to do the cleaning job before lubing. If you have the backup light option, lube that switch with some spray lithium grease while you have better access to it.

Mmmm…I donno that I'd necessarily use 3886X there. How bright do you really need the buttons...?

Too bright? I assumed I would just make them as bright as possible... No?

I already bought 3 3886X bulbs from the place you've recommended in some of your previous posts... 2 for the gauges and 1 for the push-button controls.

Then by all means...3886X it! Use a piece of rubber hose to grip the bulb for R&R if you can't reach with fingers. Before you install the bulb, lube the assembly with a good brand of spray silicone lube.

I wouldn't use water (I hate to let rust get a foothold!) but cleaning the mechanism is a good idea. I use carb or brake cleaner to do the cleaning job before lubing. If you have the backup light option, lube that switch with some spray lithium grease while you have better access to it.

That is good advice. I forget that not everyone lives in ARIDzona like I do.

-
Back