Need some advice

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok I am not sure what I happened but let me explain. I was driving to mickey d's and the car was doing fine. I waited at idle for about 20 minutes then took off. As soon as I hit the highway the engine started skipping bad. I thought maybe I was out of gas because my gauge doesn't work quite right. Nope it was fine. On my way home I try a few things. First I try hard acceleration and the engine starts skipping and sputtering and nearly dies. Then I try a light steady acceleration and it seems to handle that fine. I noticed my alternator was showing a little low while I was doing this. I checked the plug wires and none are loose. I tried to make it happen while parked and it didn't happen at all. Can anyone direct me as to where to look?

I did adjust the timing a few days ago but I am back to 12 degrees. I also adjusted the high idle down a little but maybe half a turn in total.

Is it a slant six?
I had the same problem with mine and the spark plugs were bad/fouled.
I changed them and it ran great after that.

Is this about a /6 in your 1965 Plymouth Barracuda ? or is it a V8 ?
are you running point's or electronic ?
It almost sounds like a spark advance or a wobble in the distributor jhdeval.
Sorry, but it is hard to keep up with what all of our members are running :thumrigh:

Sorry bout that I posted it in Slant Six so I assumed it would be there. Yes it is a slant six I am running electronic ignition.

I was thinking it may be the spark plugs because it seems to be skipping on certain cylinders not all.

memike I like that to I am wondering if I didn't tighten the distributor down enough maybe it slipped.

Sorry bout that I posted it in Slant Six so I assumed it would be there. Yes it is a slant six I am running electronic ignition.

I was thinking it may be the spark plugs because it seems to be skipping on certain cylinders not all.

memike I like that to I am wondering if I didn't tighten the distributor down enough maybe it slipped.

Sorry :banghead: Now I see it's in the /6 forum :toothy3:
I put a new cap on mine and I seen that if I grab just the cap it will move out of place , so make sure it is setting in the grove it supposed to, and check inside your distributor cap and see if there is build up on the 6 pick up's inside the cap, I have scratched off white flacks of build up before on V8's and /6'es. How old is your coil ? it may have went south on you setting idling and got hot.
I would do a spark plug and wire check along with setting the timing a coupe degree's lower or higher and see if it helps, when it is under a load the spark advance could be moving it to far and causing it to stumble.
My /6 was running a bit warm (the needle standing straight up) so I bumped my timing down a few degrees and know it runs just a tick over the first line like it suppose to :thumrigh:

Use a timing light to diagnose it. Move the lead from plug wire to plug wire until you find the miss. This assumes you can dupilcate the problem in neutral without a major load on it. Otherwise, you'll need to go through a tune up procedure.

I dont think the issue is in the ignition. Pull the breather and cup your hands over the carb in attempt to stare the engine for air. If it idles up and smooths out, runs better, you have a new vacuum leak somewhere. Could be simply the carb loose at the base gasket. I've seem the venturi bleed tubes in a carb drop out of their stakes and cause a very similar condition. Slow and easy throttle action runs fine, quick acceleration causes a bad stumble.
good luck finding the problem wherever it is.

Ok some new diagnostics. I checked the distributor and I checked the timing. I did not forget to tighten and the timing is spot on. It is at the top mark on the timing plate.

I changed the plugs but the old plugs didn't look fouled although a few were a little white indicating it was running lean. Overall though they were clean.

I adjusted the high idle back to where it was.

I confirmed that at idle the engine runs fine. In drive if I give it anything more then a light push on the pedal it begins to stutter.

I recently did the fuel line reroute. I ran it basically up from the fuel pump to the heater hoses where I attached my new canister fuel filter. I then ran around the front of the valve cover under the heater hoses to the carb. I left enough for it to stand maybe 5 or so inches over the intake.

I need to figure this out today as I am supposed to get my interior done tomorrow. I have been waiting a long time for this guy to be available.

Pretty sure I just found the problem. Input side (positive of the coil) is 13volts output (negative of coil) I am getting right around 3 volts. Not sure why it would be fine at idle and bad at acceleration but 3 volts is barely enough as I recall.

you didnt say if your still running points or have upgraded to electronic ignition. but if you HAVE upgraded to electronic you need to upgrade to the newer style of electronic voltage regulator. otherwise the pulses of the points style regulator will fry the ignition.

All right powerwagonpaul you ready for this. I have upgraded to the electronic ignition. The ballast resistor was removed. My "mechanic" apparently could not find a good 12v so he tapped the ignition switch. Don't worry I don't plan on going back there. I was none to happy because he also did not connect the field of my alternator back so he fried my alternator. I will be fixing all of that in the coming weeks as I didn't realize the resistor wasn't there.

Okay so I warranty replaced the ignition coil. Same problem so I checked voltage at the alternator field and I found I wasn't getting any voltage. So I ran a new temporary wire from the fld of the voltage regulator to the field of the alternator. Still same issue.

The only real symptom I can find is when I accelerate the ammeter/alternator on the dash drops and then the car stalls. Is it possible that the alternator is dieing under load?

i would probaly pull the alternator and take it down to have it checked (most auto parts stores will do this for you). you also want to make sure you have B+ voltage to the IGN side of your VR. again make sure you have an electronic VR installed.

Ok the alternator has gone bad. I replaced it but I am still getting the same problem. I have some new diagnostics though. I took it for a drive. Slow steady acceleration is ok. If I floor it the acceleration is good also. It is only a problem when I am in that middle section. I liken it to giving the extra acceleration to get up a hill causes the problem. I am thinking it may be a fuel delivery issue. The fuel pump is original to the car from what I can tell. Anybody else have a suggestion?

Stupid question and I didn't think about this being related but maybe. Is it possible that I my gas tank is to sealed and is creating a vacuum that maybe drawing the fuel away or keeping it from getting to the pump? I noticed after rerouting the gas line the car would start much easier telling me the fuel was staying in the line.

Carefully remove the fuel filter. Get some paper towels and place them on the ground and empty the fuel filter with the outlet facing down. Sounds like a fuel problem and I bet you see some debris in the fuel. If so, you will need to flush the entire fuel system including removing and rinsing the tank and intstalling new rubber hoses (only about 12" worth) and a new fuel filter. You may need a kit in the carburetor as well. But the fuel filter test will confirm or rule all that out.

~Rob

I did drain the fuel filter through a coffee filter and it looked clean. I did not see anything. Is it possibly the fuel pump itself?

you can check the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and turning the engine over with the starter. put the end into something like a coffee can.(no smoking) you should get a nice healthy squirt of gas. from your earlier post it sounds like you have the filter in the wrong place, you want it close to the carb as you can get, it sounds like you have a foot or more from the carb.

I did drain the fuel filter through a coffee filter and it looked clean. I did not see anything. Is it possibly the fuel pump itself?

Surely. Paul pretty much outlined it for you.

-
Back