need some advice

-

honcho

Reaction score
Hey folks,just joined the site and need some help. I recently purchased 64 Dodge Dart GT with push button tranney. I have 2 lights on the push buttons that do not work. How do I replace the bulbs???? I tried unscrewing buttons but that didn't work. Thanks in advance Todd

Welcome Wish I could answer your question, I'm not familiar with the older push buttons, even though I once owned a '64 426, back then.

the buttons do not unscrew-- they are a slight press fit into a fork type lever.---
as for the lights-- I do not think each button has it's own light -- i think in the shifter assembly is a bulb or two--- hopefully the two that are not lit are together. i don't have a manual for that year but if you can look at the back side of the shifter unit .
Lawrence

Welcome Todd. To help ya out i'll move your thread over to the early A section. There will probably be some more knowledge over there.
Small Block

Don't try to twist those buttons or you could break them, or worse yet, the shifter itself. There is just one bulb that illuminates all 5 buttons. You have to pull the park knob and the face plate to gain access to the bulb. It could be that the buttons that don't seem to light up are dirty, not letting the light through.

Hey cudamark,thanks for the info. So do I need to still pull the park brake knob and faceplate to inspect and clean the 2 buttons that do not light up???

Yes, unless all the crud is on the face of the button. They're a translucent plastic so they'll pick up the light from inside the shifter housing unless they're coated with dust or grease or whatever. The outside surface of the buttons will pick up anything that is on the end of your finger.....that was a revolting thought......so a good shot of 409 might be in order.

Did my 63 Valiant, 1 bulb. Yes you have to remove the park handle ( 1 allen screw ) remove the face plate. Not sure on a dart but on mine the bulb was hard to get to. used a piece of rubber hose that fit the bulb snug to remove and replace. Clean buttons (cotton swabs) soap and water mixture. Clean and lube your shift mechanism while you are at it. Lots of crud after almost 50 years.

-
Back