need some honest opinoins

-

shiifty_dart

Reaction score
I am having a delmia I am a union steward and topped out as far as pay goes I am pretty skilled as a welder I have been fourtnate enough to not have been laid off and being steward has saved me about a $7000 pay cut and feel I almost owe it to the people I represent to stay on the floor but I dont want to do this for forty more years I can go company and start out at about the same as what I am making now with a pension and 401k but there is no job security I am just looking for some insight as to what would be a good option

I can go company and start out at about the same as what I am making now with a pension and 401k but there is no job security

in this economy this is what would make me stay put.

I am having a delmia I am a union steward and topped out as far as pay goes I am pretty skilled as a welder I have been fourtnate enough to not have been laid off and being steward has saved me about a $7000 pay cut and feel I almost owe it to the people I represent to stay on the floor but I dont want to do this for forty more years I can go company and start out at about the same as what I am making now with a pension and 401k but there is no job security I am just looking for some insight as to what would be a good option

Personally I feel there is almost no support for the Unions left. Big Business has all but crushed them. The more we let them erode the unions the easier it will be when they decide we should have no benefits and no job security.

If you like your work why not stay with it? Job security is a good thing, you can have peace of mind, raise a happy family and support your Mopar addiction. Isn't that worth the possibility of being bored sometime in the future?

Just my opinion

Personally I feel there is almost no support for the Unions left. Big Business has all but crushed them. The more we let them erode the unions the easier it will be when they decide we should have no benefits and no job security.

If you like your work why not stay with it? Job security is a good thing, you can have peace of mind, raise a happy family and support your Mopar addiction. Isn't that worth the possibility of being bored sometime in the future?

Just my opinion

X2 Just open a few accounts to hide $$$ in for retirement. Wish I had before I gotten Sick a few years ago.

Unions are being killed off it's a damn shame. I would stay with the SECURE job for now. As you may or may not know I was recently let go after 18 years. I have severance pay but after that at 52 years of age I will have a tought time earning what I was. I have said it a million times recently. If only I took a secure job when I was young. IE: teacher, cop, fireman, postal worker, etc. I might not have made as much money as I did in the private secor but I would not be in the position I am in now wondering where my next job will be and where will my benefits be.

For all those who are waving the union banner instead of just looking at what's being asked: ask the union state workers here in NYS how safe their union jobs are. Ask the union which Paterson broke and now the workers of said union have no security whatsoever, thanks to the higher ups in the union. Or how 'bout all the union bosses who walk away with the nice money, but the union workers are left out in the cold when Penn Traffic, the parent company of a grocery store chain here in NY, closes up in about another month and watch everything the union was supposed to protect disappear on 'em. Why wasn't healthcare backed up by union dues all these years? In the long run, what did those dues get 'em? Except for paid vacations and periodic raises? Oh, and higher dues after every contract? Especially for part time workers. Why does the union pension fund for the workers at Penn Traffic say it took close $5M administration fees for the fiscal year with absolutely no details as to what that $5M covered other than the broad term "administration fees?" Where's the accountibility for that money? Or ask the 35 postal workers who just got the pink slip here in Elmira. Sorry, but the idea of "management crushing the unions," with no responsibility on the unions' part, irritates me. There's plenty of blame to go around. That being said, how secure exactly is a union job? So put away your "union forever" banners. I'm sure I'll be shouted down by all the good union members, here. But considering I have four in the family (including my wife) and have experience with what the union has given 'em, shout away.

So to your original question...how secure is that union job? Are you as high as you can go? Can going company take you higher? Lot's more to weigh than just the idea of "union" or "not union" as some would have you believe. Will the experience of going company get you a job if something does go south? You said it yourself, you don't want to be doing what your doing for another 40 years. Will you be able to take that experience you can gain and move on to something higher paying and more secure down the road? Will this be able to help you open your own shop one of these days if you care to? Will you be happy in another five years if you pass this up and stay right where you're at and be able to look back with no regrets?
Ultimately the decision lies with you. Please, don't let the slogans sway you. Do what you feel is best for you and your family and know that it will be the best move you can make at this time. Talk to your family; they have a lot more riding on this than we do.

Union or Not, stick with security. Open a IRA, and be done with it. When the economy recovers, then take riskier moves.

Do it on the side, small jobs or lengthy complete times for bigger jobs.

I was working nights (10pm - 6am) and wrenching on cars during the day to make ends meet. Basic stuff like shocks, brakes, exhaust and tune ups pay well for a easy couple of hours of fiddling around.

I'm sure theres a market for small jobs in welding.

I too work in a Union shop, and I was the Financial Secretary for awhile. There were a few of my fellow brothers that went company from the floor, and none of them are employed there now, but had they stayed on the floor, they would be. When jobs cuts come for the company side, it is not by seniority. It is usually by department, and then who does not go on all the trips, or work late when "asked". I take it you do not have 30 and out, or age plus years of service. That sucks!! I would only do it if there was no other choice. My sister works for the company side in HR, but she is about the last one with as many years as I have, 21.

I hope the best for you brother.

Roy

I am in an union and I can tell you our union rep is in the back pocket of management. I have been laid off for six months, and there are jobs open, and the union does nothing to get guys back to work. All I hear is wait and see what happens. There is open overtime because there is so much work and I cant get back yet? I work for a major railroad and our union does nothing to support the worker any more.

this is not a right now move something may come up in about 6 or 7 months but right now I am not going anywhere for a while. Not to get too off topic but our union is fairly decent we have some bad reps too I think they're every where, dont get me wrong I am not pondering union non-union jobs there is more to it than that thanks for all the input

At the age of 25 or so, you are doing good where you stand know. Good job hanging in there and saving the cut $.

Try to plan out your future not being a welder. Will they send you to school in say something you are interested or can get your your qualifaications kicked up for a position name with a raise.

Just my thoughts as requested.

Have a great Day!

Shifty_Dart, union job security is only as good as your next contract. There are plenty of success stories out there, but there also are plenty of union members who thought they were secure, only to have companies close their doors and put the worker out on the street. I've worked non union labour, union labour and management. I've had positive and negative experiences in all positions. Take a good look at your company and where it's headed. Do you want to be part of the management team and do you believe in your company? If so, then go for it.

It appears that you have a good reliable job right now,not something at this time you would want to risk.As far as 40 more years,if you do not like the job enough to go the long haul then you should start looking now for something so that you will have a good pension plan in place or have had time to invest your money for retirement.I am self employed and have no pension.I am also 58 and do not want to work much longer.I should have been investing years a long time ago or have gotten a good pensionable job.Your young this is the time.8)

It appears that you have a good reliable job right now,not something at this time you would want to risk.As far as 40 more years,if you do not like the job enough to go the long haul then you should start looking now for something so that you will have a good pension plan in place or have had time to invest your money for retirement.I am self employed and have no pension.I am also 58 and do not want to work much longer.I should have been investing years a long time ago or have gotten a good pensionable job.Your young this is the time.8)

Yea! what Dreno said.

sorry been busy this week but thought I would catch up I think i will just play this job out for a while I the contract will come up for negoition in 2011 so i have a little time to get it figured out , by the way they will pay for 80 percent of my schooling but they will only pay for certian classes.

-
Back