Need some opinions

-

clogsmith

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here, looking forward to getting some information/advice on how to proceed with a project. I inherited a storage unit. Upon first look from one side, I was immediately thinking there would not be much interesting to be found.
20230403_152418.jpg

Alright, let's go take a look at the other side of the unit.
20230401_161928.jpg

Not sure what I am looking at, but I can tell I am interested. Let's get some junk out of the way. After making a pathway, I can read the word "Dart" on the fender. Does it have a V8? Don't know, can't get the hood open being parked under shelving and piled with what appear to be the remnants of a light and housing fixtures store that went under. Don't see a clutch pedal, bummer. Being a Jeep guy and liking Mopar, I decide to try to get some air in the tires, roll this thing out, and call the tow truck. It was last registered in 06, but it looks like the tires are going to hold enough air to roll it. I go to pop it in neutral and discover you need the ignition key to do so, and the steering wheel lock is going to make pushing it less convenient. I decide to get more trash off the hood, and find a small key labeled fuel. The key works on the gas cap, let's go deeper and hope the ignition key is around here too. I get to the last plastic bag on the hood and no sign of keys. There's a couple Hershey bar wrappers on the cowl, let's throw those out too. Why is this wrapper folded up and heavy...ignition and trunk key found within. Tow time.
20230402_134536.jpg

20230402_135230.jpg

Have it dropped out front and listen to multiple people complain about my new driveway decoration for about a week. Get it in the backyard, tackle the piles of garbage inside the car, and give it a quick wash. Looks like I have a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport, 225 slant six, 3 speed auto. Someone's car with a green interior donated various pieces to this one. Custom rear panel upholstery for aftermarket Pioneer speakers. The car is looking a little better than my initial impressions, so I decide to start to tinker a bit.
20230418_173845.jpg

20230418_173857.jpg

20230418_174023.jpg

20230418_174125.jpg

20230418_174212.jpg

20230418_174246.jpg

Oil is full and doesn't look too bad, engine isn't locked up and spins by hand, radiator is empty, brake pedal sinks to the floor and the master cylinder is bone dry. A few hammer taps got the starter spinning, but no amount of starting fluid or gas in the bowl can get it to idle. It wants to start so bad, does a little cough out the carb and sputters, but just won't go all the way. Spark components probably need looking at and replacing at this point, but when cranking the starter the engine will do a sporadic jerk and clunk while cranking. At this point, I am okay with paying someone who knows what they are doing to make some progress.

I am not sure of what direction I'd like to take the car from here, if any. I have a few thoughts and would love to get any and all input that anyone here is willing to give.

Option 1: Get the car running with what its got now, rebuild engine, freshen up what needs it, enjoy it for what it is and work on the interior.
Option 2: Rebuild and hotrod the slant six.
Option 3: Find a 318, 340, or 360 to put in it.
Option 4: Gen 3 Hemi swap.
Option 5: Let it be someone else's problem.

I would love for the car to be a manual transmission, but could tolerate an auto for the character of the Dart Sport. Thinking I would pay for major mechanical work and work on the interior and cosmetics myself. I appreciate anyone's input/opinion about any of this. Thank you.

Great find! I'd get it running then start replacing the things you don't like. It's better than what most of us started with

First and foremost get a title in your name.,
Definitely get fresh gas maybe pop the carburetor off and sray it inside and out with carb cleaner... Try a new ballast resistor that ceramic piece on the firewall or on the fender wall... That could have been the piece that took the car out in the first place if it acts like it wants to start but doesn't run once you let the key go...
I personally would just clean it and clean it and not put any money or get upside down and it whatsoever.. you're a Jeep guy knotted 74 Dodge dart guy... The minute you pay a mechanic to do an engine swap plus all the parts it's instantly going to be worth less than what you have in it....
Number one get a title in your name number two get it running and number three just clean clean and don't go upside down...

Body looks perfect.

Wow nice find. I say get it going as is and enjoy it for a while then option two to keep it more original if you choose. Option three with a nicely tuned v8, you can’t go wrong that either.

:welcome: from :canada:
Looks like you've scored a very solid rust free Dart, nice!
I am in agreement with most of the others, get it running and safe, then drive it and enjoy it. If you find that you really want to keep it and improve its performance, then drop in a 360, if not, then you will find it easy to sell to someone else who is looking for a good solid project car.
Just my .02.

IMO, get it running and driving first and foremost without a doubt. That engine should be able to get some good mileage and make a really nice driver.

If YOU WANT to hot rod it, the slate is wide open. For a quick and easy hot rod, find a 5.9 Magnum and couple it to a OD transmission (A-500-a 904 with an overdrive on it.)

Swap on headers, 2-1/2 exhaust, RPM intake and a 750 carb, a vacuum advance distributor. Worry about the cam later. Upgrade the rear end to a 8-3/4, have the driveshaft cut to fit. I’d use 3.55 gears and a tire no larger than 28 inches in diameter. (275/60/15)

You’ll need to find an engine swap kit (motor mounts) and a larger radiator.

This set up is a tad over 300 hp.

Welcome Looks like a complete solid project! Wash it and park it back in the front drive for a coupleof days and put a sign on it that says something like...like it or call 1-800 eat ****. Always have fun with your good neighbors!!

That is one sweet find! I agree with the others, get it running well and check/replace all the items that can age and cause problems (belts, hoses, brakes, fuel system, tires, etc) and drive it for a while. You might find you like it as is. J par is right, don't get upside down on the car. It's easy to have $10K in a $2K car. Ask me how I know.

what's your end goal on the car? are you trying to turn a profit now or at some point in the near future? do you want to build something out and try and get mega bucks for it? do you just want a fun cruiser and flip it when you're tired of it? do you want a V8 muscle car that you're going to keep?

these are all vastly different things and each of them lead to a different approach to this car from a position of time, effort and investment.

the one thing that matters the most though, what's your budget? and be honest here, that saves everybody a whole bunch of trouble.

Welcome Looks like a complete solid project! Wash it and park it back in the front drive for a coupleof days and put a sign on it that says something like...like it or call 1-800 eat ****. Always have fun with your good neighbors!!
Hah. The complaints came from within the household.

The minute you do a V8 swap and worse yet have a mechanic do it for you you'll be instantly upside down on the car...
100% guarantee it....
Get it running do cleaning and get rid of it while you can get some money out of it. Dump all that money into the vehicle you love the most like your Jeep...

Which is why I'm thinking of putting money in it since my initial investment is nothing.

I missed the word inherited. I was thinking you bid and bought the unit at an auction. Guess I watch too many shows!!

Do this first. Get it running, driving, and stopping with the six cylinder. Drive it for awhile and then decide what to do from there.

You won't have a ton of money in it. Best would be an engine rebuild, but you might start with just changing fluids and ignition (plugs, wires, ballast resister). Trans fluid, new fuel. Master cylinder, have the brakes gone through, new tires.

Those engines are decent enough on gas. Drive it for several months and then decide. You just may enjoy it enough to jump in and do more!!

-
Back