need some trans help..tf3 won't upshift

-

SB75SM

Reaction score
So I just got done installing a tf3 kit in a valve body I had. Put it in the trans along with an eBay special "super servo" and an hd front band strut... The servo seemed to fit pretty snug in the bore.. enough that I was questioning if it moved free enough...the trans is slow to engage into reverse and low and requires some rpms which would point to the stooooopid servo sticking. But when I drove the car it would not upshift? Any thought's?

Which servo, Front or rear? If it's the rear servo and it's sticking that will cause it to engage into reverse slow but wont' affect it upshifting unless it doesn't release properly. If the front servo is hanging up it will cause no upshift. Neither servo will cause it to be slow engaging into first. The rear servo is active in low but it's not needed for low gear. It's just there so the sprague doesn't have to take all the grunt. The front servo gives you 2nd gear when it's applied.

By your description it sounds more like a low hydraulic pressure problem.

IMO: any time you install a servo you need to air pressure test it to see if it works properly.

Which servo, Front or rear? If it's the rear servo and it's sticking that will cause it to engage into reverse slow but wont' affect it upshifting unless it doesn't release properly. If the front servo is hanging up it will cause no upshift. Neither servo will cause it to be slow engaging into first. The rear servo is active in low but it's not needed for low gear. It's just there so the sprague doesn't have to take all the grunt. The front servo gives you 2nd gear when it's applied.

By your description it sounds more like a low hydraulic pressure problem.

IMO: any time you install a servo you need to air pressure test it to see if it works properly.

Not just that Fishy. Every time I pull a valve body i do an air pressure test. Oh yeah, Is the TF-3 not a pure manual shift kit? TransGo say it allows you to convert back to automatic shift.

I haven't done a tf-3 kit but it's my understanding that it converts it to full manual shift. I think their point is you can reverse it and put it back to auto shift as opposed to some kits that require major mods that can't be reversed. If you've air pressure checked it the problem must be low pressure or something not installed right in the VB. Do you have a pressure gauge to do some pressure checks with?

It was the rear servo...and you are right I should have air tested it...it does act like its low on pressure...any ideas? Internal leak in the valve body? And this is full manual not lconverted back

First thing I'd do is run a pressure test on it and see what the line pressure is. Are you positive everything was modded correctly when the valve body was done? If the line pressure tests low I'd pull the valve body back apart and check it against the installation instructions very closely. You could also check the rear servo then.

BTW: I assume this was a good working trans. to begin with?

Yeah of course now I second guess myself but was sure All was installed correctly.. Yes this is a good trans, its in my challenger..just driving last weekend :(

If it worked good before it must be something with the valve body then.

BTW: do you have a way to scan and e-mail the TF-3 instructions? If so I could look it over and maybe give you an idea where to look. If you can scan and e-mail it PM me

If it worked good before it must be something with the valve body then.

BTW: do you have a way to scan and e-mail the TF-3 instructions? If so I could look it over and maybe give you an idea where to look. If you can scan and e-mail it PM me

awesome man i really appreciate the help. will do as soon as i can. the sheets they send are pretty big so i will see what i can do to condense.

Don't forget the governor might just be stuck. (just in case you don't see a problem with the VB)
Tracy, if the gov sticks and keeps it from shifting I can't remember if engine braking is present or not.

Don't forget the governor might just be stuck. (just in case you don't see a problem with the VB)
Tracy, if the gov sticks and keeps it from shifting I can't remember if engine braking is present or not.

This is a manual valve body kit he put in Greg so I'm not sure if the governor would affect it. I haven't done a Tf-3 so I'm not sure what's all involved. I'm not positive about the engine braking when a governor sticks but I'd think it would.

,,,,,,,,The governor has nothing to do with the up shifts as the port is blocked with a plug when u use the tf-3 kit.......u say it wont up shift but what gear does it start off in when in 2nd or 3rd, will it down shift when taking off in a higher gear and u shift down a gear......r u sure that whoever did the kit fully understood the instructions......what year is the kit, trans and valve body...I have did and use many tf-3 kits...kim......

It will start in 2nd and will not downshift...take off feels like it slips a lot then builds pressure and all this sudden will go

70 trans...kit was purchased new about a year ago...the valvebody was out of another 70 trans...

I haven't had any luck with my 70 valve body with the tf-2, they were non part throttle kickdown before 71'. To me, it feels real sloppy, don't respond to throttle modulation or TV adjustments at all, and doesn't shift right in general, others can back me up on this. I highly recommend getting your hands on a later one, or go manual.

That's good to know...I have another vb sitting here that's a later year

I have installed the TF-2 kit in pre 71 valve bodies with no problems. In fact I have a 69 VB in my Cuda now and it works fine except naturally it has no part throttle kick down but it doesn't bother me since my 408 has an abundance of torque. One issue I ran into a long time ago is not to grind down the throttle valve as far as they say or some don't want to kick down like they should. In a case like PoisonDart describes I wonder if there's maybe just wear in the VB casting and of valves causing issues. Being 70 valve bodies are 44 yrs. old it's a possibility

SB75 since your kit is the TF-3 kit that converts it to a manual valve body I wouldn't think it'd make much difference which year VB you use.

I tire into the valve body last night and the line pressure valve felt a little sticky when I pulled it out but then I put it back in and it was fine...I do think that the transmission I pulled it out of had a very hard life...when I yanked the vb I found the accumulator spring broken in two

It's a good possibility a little piece of debris had it jammed open. That'd cause exactly what it was doing. I'd take the entire valve body apart and give it a good cleaning and check over and lube the valves with atf when assembling it. Of course if you find any scored/worn valves it might be time to try that other valve body you have

Thinking I should look at that other vb I have....this is the bore of the line pressure valve

Oh and another dumb question...how does the tf3 run full line pressure so I don't have to run kickdown..

Local guy mentioned a cheetah reverse manual, am I correct that these do not have low band apply

Attachments

• IMG_20140608_103904325.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 160
Fishy gives good advice & insight here. I'd venture to say he's probably done a few more of these over the years than I have. If I could just throw my 2c in. FWIW I had a 727 that gave me very similar problems after a VB & servo modification & it turned out to be leaking servo. I fixed that & it worked fine afterwards. Air pressure test is what found it. Good luck. HTH.

^Yup, fishy is the man, and he's correct on my case being the old worn out valve body causing issues. Some have harder lives than others, let know how it goes!

Thinking I should look at that other vb I have....this is the bore of the line pressure valve

Oh and another dumb question...how does the tf3 run full line pressure so I don't have to run kickdown..

Local guy mentioned a cheetah reverse manual, am I correct that these do not have low band apply

That doesn't look too good but I'm not sure that'd cause such a severe problem like you have. How does the valve itself look? Lets go back to the rear servo issue you mentioned. Did you air pressure test it to see if it's working? Something else that stands out is you said it starts off in 2nd gear. That tells me the front band is activated but why is a mystery at this point?? Not sure on kickdown linkage. The only reason I can think they'd retain it is to soften the shifts at lower speeds. You can try tying it back and see what happens.

I believe your correct that the Cheetah has no low band apply. If your interested in a manual shift VB with low band apply take a look at what Cope Racing has to offer. A&A might have something also.

Something else that stands out is you said it starts off in 2nd gear. That tells me the front band is activated but why is a mystery at this point??.

Cracked or leaking accumulator would do it, but it would probably be dragging a clutchpack at the same time.

My buddy had a similar problem. It was a warped valve body that was letting fluid get by and apply the reverse band. Car didn't want to go. It was like we tied an anchor to the bumper. New valve body with the same mods as the old one, presto, went like a raped ape. Hope you get it figured out.

-
Back