-

F/A Tech

Reaction score
duster 3.jpeg duster 4.jpeg duster 5.jpeg
duster 3.jpeg
duster 4.jpeg
duster 5.jpeg
Hi All,
Just bought 1973 DUSTER all original 198 slant 6 three on the tree. ONLY 27,000 miles.
Only mod is dual exhausts on original manifold and air shocks on back.
Would love to put a 340 in it, but all Mopar guys I know say "keep it original".
Interior in perfect, minor imperfections in paint.
What do you think ?
Thanks
duster 5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
From experiance, leave it. I swapped out my 225 auto for a hot 340 4 speed. I regret it. I miss running swill in the gas tank and the 23 mpg.

Wow....gorgeous car!!! That color/interior combo is just fantastic.

I gotta agree with the guys who say not to swap it. If you really want a Duster hot rod, sell that beauty and find one that's not as much of a national treasure. Of course it's your car...

Does the 8 track player work? It looks like it came with a stack of tapes!

Wow....gorgeous car!!! That color/interior combo is just fantastic.

I gotta agree with the guys who say not to swap it. If you really want a Duster hot rod, sell that beauty and find one that's not as much of a national treasure. Of course it's your car...

Does the 8 track player work? It looks like it came with a stack of tapes!
Yea the 8 track works, when I go to garage sales I ask if they have any 8 tracks kicking around..got a few that way, also got the cassette tape adaptor you put in it.
thanks

Gorgeous as it is, I would not change a thing.

Speaking from experience drop a mild v8 in it.

Our dart has a bunch more miles but was all original including paint. The six was ok at first but such a slug it was boring as hell to drive. Have since installed a 360 and I smile ear to ear while driving it now.

I put a 8 3/4 and new leafs in first Then did a disc brake conversion up front then I slowly gathered the stuff to drop the 360 in.

Let's face it. You have a slant six 73 duster. In the grand scheme of things it's not worth much so go ahead and modify it. Just do it right and don't do a hack job.

From one fellow Canuck to another we both know how hard it is to find a rust free low km Duster up here, that ones a beauty and cool as hell with a three on the tree, I go to a lot of car shows up here every year and hardly ever see a three on the tree, yours has gone 43 years with out being molested, there are plenty of rusted, crusted, Dusters up here that are cheap enough to buy and make in to something v8 powered and cool, keep it, leave it, drive it, and enjoy it!

Problem is it's hard to enjoy for long with that slug slanty in it.

Can easily bolt a v8 in that ***** and keep all the slant stuff I case someone ever wants to put it back to slant. Though I don't see that ever happening. Lol

it's not worth much

Life is not about money.

Finding a complete unmolested car of any type has historical value that can not be measured with money.

There are already tons of modified cars out there.

Cars like this get my respect. They have made it this long without being messed with. THAT is priceless & not in a monetary way.

Then buy it from him. And make garage art out of it.

Truth is that if it's gonna be a a car that's driven regularly as a toy it's gonna boring *** ride with a stock slant in it.

I'll disagree. I put over 3500 miles on my /6 1970 Dart while house hunting here in PA.

I enjoyed every mile.

Guess we will what the op decides to do.

I'll disagree with you. Our 70 dart was boring as hell to drive with that pig 6cyl in it. It's a blast now with the 360. Wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

The few unmolested, well maintained survivors get a lot of respect, admiration, ( and "wanna sell it?" ) at cruise-ins. We'll assume majority of those potential buyers want to take her home and make something completely different of her, just like the majority of other vehicles attending. Yeah I compare them to women. I don't find my wife or my car boring.
OK I've changed a few little things about the car, nothing I can't undo in a day.
Suit yourself although starting with a old beaten down dog ugly specimen would be more challenging.

#1 Rule. Always start with the cleanest body you can find. No sense having to spend time and money on metal replacement. :)

I agree with those who said just leave it alone and enjoy it. I had a 67 Dart that was a /6 car. Broke the 225 and found a 170 for 25 bucks. Dropped that pig in their and took it for a drive. That thing ran good. Got better than 22 mpg. I drove the hell out of that thing.

Wish I'd have kept it.

What you have is pretty rare. As a die hard horsepower guy, I say leave it alone. You have a fairly rare car there. They ain't making any more like it. Once you alter it, it's never original again. Ever. Even if you put the stock stuff back in.

Very very cool. Go enjoy it and crank up the 8 track!!!!

Love that cup holder/console, looks right at home. If you do not plan to keep it, would be happy to take it off your hands. :)

From one fellow Canuck to another we both know how hard it is to find a rust free low km Duster up here, that ones a beauty and cool as hell with a three on the tree, I go to a lot of car shows up here every year and hardly ever see a three on the tree, yours has gone 43 years with out being molested, there are plenty of rusted, crusted, Dusters up here that are cheap enough to buy and make in to something v8 powered and cool, keep it, leave it, drive it, and enjoy it!
I could not agree more. Please leave this car as is. There are plenty of 340 cars out there now to see and to be honest I get to where i walk by them. But when I see a car like this one I will stop to look it over because as was said, how many do you see these because so many were converted to some other power plant. Yes, it's your car to do with as you please, but please leave it as it was built and you will have that "something different" car and may get more attention for it.

That is a nice car. Powertrain leaves a lot to be desired im sure.
There are a lot of aftermarket parts to make that leaning tower of power chooch. Not a lot of hopped up slanty's around.

Id drive it for awhile , then make the decision. If you do go with the swap, save the /6....done!

Turbo it.

View attachment 1715086416 View attachment 1715086420 View attachment 1715086423
View attachment 1715086416 View attachment 1715086420 View attachment 1715086423 Hi All,
Just bought 1973 DUSTER all original 198 slant 6 three on the tree. ONLY 27,000 miles.
Only mod is dual exhausts on original manifold and air shocks on back.
Would love to put a 340 in it, but all Mopar guys I know say "keep it original".
Interior in perfect, minor imperfections in paint.
What do you think ?
ThanksView attachment 1715086414

I think it is your car and you should do as you wish with it because it was YOUR MONEY that purchased the car For YOURSELF AND NOBODY ELSE.

I am a firm believer that it is;
YOUR CAR YOUR WAY! Lock stock and barrel.

They don't like it? Tell'em to ether start purchasing up all the original cars so they don't get modified and they should NOT look at your car as not to be offended!

You want 340 go 340. That car would be a nice 340 clone. There tons of slant guys keeping the history of the /6 alive and good for them.
You don't have to be one of them.
Or do a turbo six build but that still wouldn't be stock either :)

-
Back