Need torque wrenches, looking for suggestions. What's the sweet spot for price/quality?

-
I used to calibrate them for the air Force. +-3% was usually the tolerance. Big thing is to back it to the lowest setting when done like TMM said. Also when you set it break it three times to exercise the mechanisms. I found CDI makes them for snap on and order through them half the price. Never really had to re calibrate them usually within limits. Sears sucked and so did proto. We did everything from inch pound pre set screwdrivers to big *** 800 lb ones for aircraft props. Drop any of them on the floor they go out of calibration something to remember. Tell you what a beam style are great unless you bend the pointer. Never had to calibrate any of them at all.

I used to calibrate them for the air Force. +-3% was usually the tolerance. Big thing is to back it to the lowest setting when done like TMM said. Also when you set it break it three times to exercise the mechanisms. I found CDI makes them for snap on and order through them half the price. Never really had to re calibrate them usually within limits. Sears sucked and so did proto. We did everything from inch pound pre set screwdrivers to big *** 800 lb ones for aircraft props. Drop any of them on the floor they go out of calibration something to remember. Tell you what a beam style are great unless you bend the pointer. Never had to calibrate any of them at all.
I'm a fan of the CDI's. Precision Instruments sold them. I can still get them for quite a bit less than off the tool truck.

They made the calibration bench we used. Great company good service also!

... Tell you what a beam style are great unless you bend the pointer. Never had to calibrate any of them at all.

There you go. That is the truth. eBay, Sturdevant is the best, but all beam torque wrenches are bulletproof. Get different one for the scale you are using. inch pounds, foot pounds,

I got a new 1/2" that goes to 250 ft lbs from Amazon, it's made by Tekton and was under $60. I'm pretty happy with it.

Wasn't in the service, but was partners in a cal lab with ex PMEL guys. We used the 33K procedures for a lot of stuff. We owned CDI equipment and did a ton of wrenches along with everything else.

Anyway... As stated above, the beam style are great. They don't ever change and IMHO, are the best bang for the buck.

There you go. That is the truth. eBay, Sturdevant is the best, but all beam torque wrenches are bulletproof. Get different one for the scale you are using. inch pounds, foot pounds,

not a fan of the beam/pointer style any more.
I dont have to look at the wrench to know ive hit the setting. Click.
Reading accuracy is not up for interpretation or dependant on the pointer viewing angle.

Im sure they have their place, somewhere.

Ive had 3 of the HarborFreight units for several years.
All still within spec., each safely stowed in their blow molded cases.
As said many times before...unload the spring before storage...
Thats about the biggest thing you can do to keep it in spec.
Other than treating it with the respect that a precision measuring tool requires.

We threw a lot of clickers away. As long as they are within spec, your clickers should be good to go. I only have beam torque wrenches, one less thing to worry about.

I've got all three sizes of HF

They are frequently $9.99, even for the 1/2 inch one.

The HF 3/8 has outlasted my Craftsman which was $30.

There was a FxBO member that had a regular HF (the kind I have) calibrated and it was so good it didn't need it.

If you haven't noticed, HF is rebranding their products and increasing their prices.

HF also sells that digital cube that turns any ratchet into a torque wrench and could be used as described above to measure a traditional torque wrench.

Get a sturtevant beam wrench and get on with your life. They're cheap because people are too stupid and fascinated with clicky wrenches and harbour fright trash to realize superiority when they see it. EBay for the win.

Unless you bend the pointer? Huh?

Bend it back! It does NOT change the calibration of the wrench, that's HOW you calibrate the wrench!

Drive over it with your car. It's fine. The beam wrench used the elastic properties of the materials, which doesn't change.

Lots of good info on here for me to take in! Thanks for schooling me, everyone!

Lots of good info on here for me to take in! Thanks for schooling me, everyone!
I have a Plumb beam wrench that has the socket holder on both sides and two scales. One vertical and one horizontal. Pretty handy.

Check out Tekton. Great pricing, they stand behind their product, and are starting to produce more and more stuff in the USA. Their torque wrenches are made in Taiwan. I have the 3/8" drive 10-80 lb-ft and 1/2" drive 25-250 lb-ft versions and love them.

For only occasional use the beam style are cheap, remain accurate and are almost indestructible. They are slower and you have to pay attention to the dial so people think the clickers are so much better. I say no for infrequent use. I've probably built more engines with the beam style than clickers in my time. It also depends on application....for torqueing lug nuts a cheap clicker can be fine. I've accumulated several torque wrenches over the years. Surdevant and CDI for my clickers and dial style, which have served me well. I bought them used and was able to check calibration at work. They never went out of calibration.

I say it depends what you will use it for.
IMO whatever you get, see if the usual places will service it.
Not long ago I had a SK click type torque wrench fixed by Angle Repair in WV. $75 to calibrate a torque wrench?
Glad to get it fixed because its a good size for carrying in the car, no batteries, and does CCW. Disadvantages are the difficult to read markings and the need to have 3/8 to 1/2" adapter. But those disadvantages didn't outwiegh the bulk of the 1/2" drive version or idiocincrasities of the digital torque wrench when changing 4 tires at events. Digital one is nice for a lot of jobs but even though it has a sound, I prefer to use it only when I can see the LEDS.
Today I used an old inch pound beam type when adjusting the wheel bearings - perfect for the job. So it all depends on the job. SK is (or was) pretty reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I have a 1/2 craftsmen that has got to be 40 years old and not long ago I bought a Tooluxe and they read 99.9% the same, both are beam style and none of my stuff has flown apart or messed up yet.

Jeff

I have a set of Snap On and I also have the 1/2 inch drive Harbor Freight one. They are within 1 foot pound more or less of each other. They also stand behind their hand tools, if it breaks take it back and get a new one.

Beings I don't use it professionally the HF tool works well .

-
Back