Need your help guys n gals...again

-
Red flag #1. Don't you think that might be a problem?

Red flag #2. See #1.

Red flag #3. You count parting/scrapping old cars and giving blood as income? Do you think a bank would? Are you out of your mind?

Good luck with that. What kind of loan do you think you're getting from a bank? Ever hear of interest?

No. Figure out what money is first. Real money. Then, learn how to get enough of it to fix the car up properly.

From the looks of it, the car needs a total restoration. I'd bet every piece of rubber on that car is shot. What's the wiring look like? At the very least you'd probably need to go through everything to make it road worthy and reliable. If you think you're doing that for under 2K you are wrong. Hate to burst your bubble.
#1 you don't know a thing about my situation.
#2 I've got great credit, bought a house on my own.
#3 I got a steady job that is used to pay all the bills and the mortgage.
#4 the "extra income" is used for nothing but personal spending money aka my wife bought an iPad n I'm putting mine in my project fund.

Not tryin to come across as a prick I'm just sayin. Don't assume my life.

Not sure where everybody comin with makin money on it. This isn't a car I'd buy to part or flip. I want a 72 duster to make a nice driver out of. Not a show car or something to sell, something to drive.

Sorry if we are coming out as pricks, we are just trying to help you. You don't have to listen to us, if you strongly want it. It's all on you, don't let us hold you back, again we are just looking out for you.

Then make sure you don't end up with the same outlook as some on here.I remember a few that started out with a big dream and very little money after some years the dream car is still in the garage but their attitude has changed from dream mode to how can I get parts cheap or free to people should drop their prices so I can have my dream car.Its a hobby and an expensive one enjoy it for what it is.Dont let it run your life.End of two cents!!!

I don't know why you asked! Do what ever the hell you want to do. If I were you I would take as big a loan as you can. Good Luck to you.

Ik Gilbert. And I appreciate that. All I was trying to clarify was that we're not bringing in the "extra income" because we NEED it to keep from losing a car or the house or something. We're simply doing it because I told my wife I wouldn't take money out of the paycheck for my projects, at least not until we're making a lot more in our main job incomes. The only reason for this extra income is for us to have spending money.

And I'm sorry to everyone if I seemed uptight to the advice. Tbh I figured the responses would be a little different. Lol I personally would rather not loan money for a project but I figured if the car is as solid as the guy says it is and ik I could make the payments with the my project income it'd be a good deal to buy. Heck, I got 3 bays in my shop that I could park it till I part a few more vehicles or whatever. But I totally see where y'all are coming from, the waiting game just royally sucks!! Lol

I bought my car running and driving. Older paint job, old tired engine, wore out trans, blah blah blah. I decided I was going to update it and get it to the point I wanted it.

$3500 into the engine, $1200 into the trans w/converter, $500 into the paint and weeks and weeks of prep and months of finish work, $2000 into all the other odds and ends, seals, lines, axles, brakes, nuts bolts, etc.. and Im still not done putting money into it. Just when you think you are finished you will find something else that you want to replace or needs to be replaced. Not to mention it took me a year to do all that. Me and the fiance make good money and these things are money pits!

Ya, you could turn around and sell the extra engines, but for what? Maybe a couple hundred? Especially not knowing the internals or overall condition. That is not reason enough to jump the gun and buy this car.

You also mentioned that you and the wife have side jobs, but you also stated that, that was only enough to pay for a loan. You will still not have any money to put aside for parts. As stated you should not get a loan on a parts car. It is financially a bad decision, save the $1500 and buy the car outright. Save your money and look for something that is already drivable. I think you are going to kick yourself and get frustrated when you look outside and see the car just sitting there because you have no money to buy the parts that are needed.

I don't know why you asked! Do what ever the hell you want to do. If I were you I would take as big a loan as you can. Good Luck to you.

I might just do that. In fact, there's a 68 Hemi Charger sittin in a showroom 30 minutes from here that I'll go buy tmrw;) COMPLETELY KIDDING! Lol. Like I said, I figured the responses and advice would be a bit different but hey, I'm open to advice. I was a bit on the stubborn side at first but I do respect y'all's thoughts and advice. Ik logically the best thing to do is wait till I can pay cash. Like was said "patience is a virtue" I know it doesn't come easy and that's why it's a virtue, if it came easy it'd just be normal. N who likes normal?? Lol

They are indeed money pits and I completely understand the emotional pull these deals sometimes have. It's funny that you should say that you paid $800.00 for your car because that's exactly what I paid for mine (in 1981) LOL

That is truly ironic, I bought my first duster off a car lot about 86, traded an old fury in and gave 700.00 difference for a clean, orange, white interior, 340 4-speed, drove the wheels off that car.
In a minuate of stupid I traded it for a 65 satelite sport 440 auto around 2001.

They are all money pits, just some worse than others.

Hey I understand just go in with your eyes wide open. Sellers always say its any easy restore. If that's the case why didn't they do it. I don't know your skill level with metal work. Mine sucks and my cuda needs a bunch. I wish I had started with a better car. Save your money and look around you will be happier in the long run. Sorry to be testy I am a grumpy old man. Bill

Never welded in my life:( but I badly wanna learn. I did bend up some patch panels for the scamp I had but I sold it b4 I got me welded in.

And it's not a problem Bill, I was bein a bit of an uptight kid at first. Lol I'm sure if I wait long enough I'll find a good deal on maybe even a better car. I just don't wanna be one of those ppl that says "someday I'm gonna get me a (whatever)" and that someday turns into a dream that never gets acted on. Even tho I'm only 19 I love Classic American muscle over any other kind, style, era car ever made and if it were possible I'd have both my shop and garage sitting full of mid 60 - mid 70 American steel!! Caleb.

Keep saving your money !

You deserve better !

Be anxious for nothing. The Bible is clear.

Not sure where everybody comin with makin money on it. This isn't a car I'd buy to part or flip. I want a 72 duster to make a nice driver out of. Not a show car or something to sell, something to drive.

If you don't like what the answers might be, don't ask the question.

So I"ll be a little more blunt. This is what I'd tell you if were were face to face

Buying a car or anything else such as this ON CREDIT is STUPID

Did you even see this car in person???
It seems as if you just expected/wanted most guys to tell you to buy it rather than being open to very good feedback. If you want the car so bad, then buy it.

There was a rockin deal on here a couple days ago, I believe a 71-72 Duster project! All stripped and all the rot cut out and ready to patch with included metal, and a boatload of parts for $1000!! Did you see that? How bout the 70 duster 340 car mentioned by grassy for $3500, or the one posted by wildcat? All better starts than the one you posted! If you're gonna go into debt for a hobby car, find the best example you can! I would personally check into that 340 Duster, looked like a good deal!! Geof

No I hadn't seen those Cosgig. Tbh I rarely search the classifieds here for cars, mainly cause the closest member to me is about as far as the one I posted.

Did you even see this car in person???
It seems as if you just expected/wanted most guys to tell you to buy it rather than being open to very good feedback. If you want the car so bad, then buy it.

No. I wanted feedback and more pics b4 I made the 4 hr drive to go look at it. And I didn't say that I was only looking for positive feedback. I posted the info here hoping to get opinions, I just figured there'd be more positive feedback than what it was. That being said I'm sure that there would've been more "good deal, go get it" comments had I said I have the extra cash on hand and can pay it off on site. I realize it's not smart to buy a project on credit, I get that. And I really do appreciate you guys lookin out for me n helpin keep my head on straight. If I had the $1,500 layin around I'd be goin to see the car this wknd. Idk what the prices are where all of y'all are from but around here it's a really good deal. But like I said, I really do appreciate y'all's input and want to learn from more experienced ppl. Thanks all. Caleb

Run

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4"]Kenny Rogers - The Gambler [Original Video-Edit] 1978 - YouTube[/ame]

I will weigh in on this conversation because I know you really want to fool with an old car and the dream is I'll fix it up and be cruising and everything will be great. I have to agree with most of the people on here that posted advice, don't ever borrow money to buy a project like this. These projects are liabilities of the worst kind. Unless you have a place to keep it indoors it will depreciate at a much faster pace than you will be able to keep up with. If your selling plasma for spending money you will never be able to complete a project like this. I don't know how old you are or if you own a house or if you have any kids or any of that stuff but I can tell you from experience that if and when these things come along you will have even less money to put into a car.I am just now finishing up a couple of dreams I had 20 to 25 years ago because life kept getting in the way of me dumping money into my cars and I have been making plenty of money over all of this time, I owned my own business, I had pretty decent salary the whole time, I sold parts at swap meets(10 or so a year) for 30 years, and I scrapped metal and wheeled and dealed all manner of things to make money on the side. And in spite of all the hundreds of thousands(or maybe even millions at this point )of dollars that I have generated I am just now finishing up a couple of cars I have owned for 20+ years (I actually took my 39 Plymouth apart in 1979). So my advice to you would be to save any money you deem to be extra, and split it with your wife, and squirrel it away somewhere until it builds up enough to start on your dream and at some point there will be a really great deal come along and while all of your buddies are at the bank trying to borrow the money you can pull your cash out of the jar and go snap it up.

Did not read all the response...hopefully this has already been mentioned. Not trying to be harsh here but you need to man up and accept the fact that building a car is just not feasible...given your apparent situation. Nothing wrong with accepting the fact that somethings are just not meant to be. Very little about this hobby is "cheap". You mentioned paint in a post....now granted I did not go with lowest $ paint out there but just in materials there is close to 3k in the paint of our car. If you are not capable of doing the labor your self plan on at least that much in labor. Even a simple motor build is going to be in the $2500 or so range. Tack on at least another $1500 or so, minimum, for all the nickel & dime crap for the motor. Interior parts are not exactly cheap. Add up what you think it is going to cost and then add at least a 25% buffer to it...We all have our dreams, the smart folks are the ones that realize what they can/can not afford and basing what they do on that.....not what they want....

Hey chuck. Thanks for the input. I'm 19. Own a house (only current debt), no kids.

My wife and I talked it over some more and with our incomes and y'all's input in mind we decided it'd be best to not loan the money and keep saving for now. If I'm suppose to get this car, I will. Who knows maybe in a few months I'll be able to pick it up for $1k.

Caleb, I wasn't trying to be harsh, you are being a man about this. I know you thought there would be more positive feedback than there was. You're a young dude, save up a little. You are smart to get input from others.

I'm tryin to be, Harry :) I tend to get a little too fired up about a deal I find then when someone tells me to hold off n save more money etc its a little hard to take at first then when I just take time to think about my situation and the advice I've been given it becomes clearer. If I would buy every good deal that I see and instantly want I'd be so far in debt and have so much stuff I could operate right!! Lol but thanks to all the great advice I've gotten from my wife, family and my FABO family I'm not deep in debt! Thanks to all who helped me clear my head and thanks to the ones who Pm'd me, it means a lot to me that a complete stranger would take the time and effort to pm a kid to help him out! Y'all are great!!!

With such an outstanding outlook and support group as you just described above, I can see that you're going to find just the right car, and it'll be the right time and place for you to really enjoy it!! Good for you, and good luck in your search!

I wish I still had the little 66 I sold last year, I would love for you to have something like it to jump in and enjoy, and still be able to do things to! Here's a link to that deal!! Yep, they'll still be out there!! Geof

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=262570

-
Back