new 360 advise needed please.

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
so i've never been real happy with the motor i have in the dart right now.. i want to put together something a bit more mild that is more a cruiser.
i'm going to try to get signed up for the Sick 66 (Edelbrock Sick 66 — Sick the Mag) event and participate in the sick ward part of it. no need to race the car... if i can get in we are looking at a 4000+ mile trip in october so this thing has to be simple and reliable. i'd like a little pep to it too but nothing crazy.. i could spend nothing and just take my 08 mustang and be more comfortable but what fun is that..lol

my plan is to go through and freshen up the 360 that came out of my yellow car. its a box stock 74 360. its a pretty low mileage motor so i hope i don't need to bore it and will reuse the stock pistons (hopefully). trying to keep costs down as much as possible..

like i said it needs to be more a over the road car.. i think we will enjoy it much more that way.. use it a ton more too..

what i have already that will be reused..

70 dart.
3.23 gears (may go to 2.94)
26" tires
904 trans, its in the car and nothing needs to be done.
9.5" convertor that i'll just call dynamic to tighten up some.
small valve J heads
performer RPM intake
stock 340 manifolds.
full TTi 2.5" exhaust with X-Pipe
MSD rtr dist. in the car now.
multiple carbs i can use.
the bottom end will be as stock as possible. if replacement pistons are necessary then i'll buy stock replacements in the bore size i need.

i don't mind running 93 pump gas in it if i have to but 87 would be nice to be able to run..

i think my biggest question is about the cam. i'd like something a little bigger then stock but nothing crazy. i have two brand new ones here laying around. a old MP 340 replacement cam P4452782 (Mopar Performance P4452782AE Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft Kits | Summit Racing) . and have the hughes seh1620al-12 (https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...110&searchmode=partnumber&page=6&partid=30239). a couple friends think the hughes would be great for what i'm trying to do.. my question is, its a fastrer ramp and .503 lift. will that be reliable long term or is it harder on parts? or should i be looking for something other then what i have? i have no problem ordering a new cam.

if i need to provide more information then what i posted please say so....

Last edited:
I like the 340 cam over the Hughes because of the slow, lazy ramps. It'll last forever and be easy on the valve train. With the 114 LSA it will have great street manners and pull a lot of vacuum. Plus it'll sound like a stock 340.

IMO, I think the Hughes cam will provide better mileage and usable torque in the driving range you’ll be cruising in. I would not worry about the ramp rate vs the MP as being to aggressive for longevity. The ramps lift rate is t so aggressive on parts as you worry about. A quality lifter is more of a concern as in one that doesn’t bleed down so fast it ticks annoyingly.

At 8-1, 8.5-1 compression ratio, 87 octane is a snap.
I’d run it with the 2.94’s.

IMO, I think the Hughes cam will provide better mileage and usable torque in the driving range you’ll be cruising in. I would not worry about the ramp rate vs the MP as being to aggressive for longevity. The ramps lift rate is t so aggressive on parts as you worry about. A quality lifter is more of a concern as in one that doesn’t bleed down so fast it ticks annoyingly.

i figured if i went with that cam i'd just get their springs and lifters so everything matches...

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=5003&partid=11033

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=1110&submit=Go&partid=35162

so i've never been real happy with the motor i have in the dart right now.. i want to put together something a bit more mild that is more a cruiser.
i'm going to try to get signed up for the Sick 66 (Edelbrock Sick 66 — Sick the Mag) event and participate in the sick ward part of it. no need to race the car... if i can get in we are looking at a 4000+ mile trip in october so this thing has to be simple and reliable. i'd like a little pep to it too but nothing crazy..

my plan is to go through and freshen up the 360 that came out of my yellow car. its a box stock 74 360. its a pretty low mileage motor so i hope i don't need to bore it and will reuse the stock pistons (hopefully). trying to keep costs down as much as possible..

like i said it needs to be more a over the road car.. i think we will enjoy it much more that way.. use it a ton more too..

70 dart.
performer RPM intake
stock 340 manifolds.
the bottom end will be as stock as possible. if replacement pistons are necessary then i'll buy stock replacements in the bore size i need.

i don't mind running 93 pump gas in it if i have to but 87 would be nice to be able to run..

i think my biggest question is about the cam. i'd like something a little bigger then stock but nothing crazy. i have two brand new ones here laying around. a old MP 340 replacement cam P4452782 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452782) . and have the hughes seh1620al-12 (https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...110&searchmode=partnumber&page=6&partid=30239). a couple friends think the hughes would be great for what i'm trying to do.. my question is, its a fastrer ramp and .503 lift. will that be reliable long term or is it harder on parts? or should i be looking for something other then what i have? i have no problem ordering a new cam.

Here is the cam I had in my 340 before I replaced it with the 408 Magnum Stroker I now have.

Long tube headers, LD-340 intake, Dual point distributer. 750 Holly carb.

Worked great!

[SOLD] - Purple Shaft Cam for small block

i'm going to try to get signed up for the Sick 66 (Edelbrock Sick 66 — Sick the Mag) event and participate in the sick ward part of it. no need to race the car... if i can get in we are looking at a 4000+ mile trip in october so this thing has to be simple and reliable. i'd like a little pep to it too but nothing crazy..

70 dart.
performer RPM intake
stock 340 manifolds.

i think my biggest question is about the cam. i'd like something a little bigger then stock but nothing crazy. i have two brand new ones here laying around. a old MP 340 replacement cam P4452782 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4452782) . and have the hughes seh1620al-12 (https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...110&searchmode=partnumber&page=6&partid=30239). a couple friends think the hughes would be great for what i'm trying to do.. my question is, its a fastrer ramp and .503 lift. will that be reliable long term or is it harder on parts? or should i be looking for something other then what i have? i have no problem ordering a new cam.

What's the advertised duration for the hughes cam?

What's the advertised duration for the hughes cam?

IMG_20240209_135502.jpg

Here is the cam I had in my 340 before I replaced it with the 408 Magnum Stroker I now have.

Long tube headers, LD-340 intake, Dual point distributer. 750 Holly carb.

Worked great!

[SOLD] - Purple Shaft Cam for small block

that the 284/484? thats a bit too much for what i want i think.

i had a hemi grind in a 318byears ago and that ran nice. 280/474 or something like that.

not sure on the MP cams quality these days or if you can even buy them. seems like a ton of MP stuff isn't made anymore

i had a hemi grind in a 318byears ago and that ran nice. 280/474 or something like that.

not sure on the MP cams quality these days or if you can even buy them. seems like a ton of MP stuff isn't made anymore
Yup!

That's it.

I found it to have great street manners., nice lope to it as well for cruising!

Between the two, the MP cam. I would go a little bigger though .474 lift, 284 duration but nothing bigger with the stock rocker arms.

IMO, i think so since you’re going to be traveling on the road and could use an edge in mileage. This is why I choose the Hughes over the MP grind. I do however agree with Rob that it’ll have great street manors and last for ever. It has a slightly higher rpm range being 228@050.
Yes
You can get some of them. Check the normal places though I’d start with Mancini racing and then Summit for a price check on inexpensive costs.

I like the 340 cam over the Hughes because of the slow, lazy ramps. It'll last forever and be easy on the valve train. With the 114 LSA it will have great street manners and pull a lot of vacuum. Plus it'll sound like a stock 340.
I have a stock 360 bottom end with '308 heads on it, a Weiand 4 barrel intake, 340 cam and simple, 2 1/4" exhaust. Holley 600 single feed too. The car idles like a 318 and makes plenty of power. It is actually a great performer that does impressive burnouts and flat out loves to run strong.

0188.JPG

Being that the 360 is going to be stock or close as to stock as possible w/exhaust manifolds and only a rpm intake and whatever carb works for the task, the MP cam will probably reduce very similar power to the 340. I’d call it a 300 hp engine because of the intake and better exhaust pipes and mufflers I know you’ll use.

Like others have mentioned. Watch your compression You want to be able to run on whatever pump gas is available to you on the road. 87 E10 or E15 is everywhere. 92 non ethanol may not be. MSD is probably good for a low rpm cruiser. Make sure you carry spare parts though. With MSD you may need them.

5.2L 318 Magnum might be a good choice unless you have your mind set on the 360LA.

Joe, also remember too, with the faster ramps of the Hughes cam, it's possible to have some valve train noise. Just throwin it out there.

Like others have mentioned. Watch your compression You want to be able to run on whatever pump gas is available to you on the road. 87 E10 or E15 is everywhere. 92 non ethanol may not be. MSD is probably good for a low rpm cruiser. Make sure you carry spare parts though. With MSD you may need them.

5.2L 318 Magnum?

LA motor. sorry. should have included that.

5.2L 318 Magnum?

i have all the parts for that dist int he trubnk already... lol

Being that the 360 is going to be stock or close as to stock as possible w/exhaust manifolds and only a rpm intake and whatever carb works for the task, the MP cam will probably reduce very similar power to the 340. I’d call it a 300 hp engine because of the intake and better exhaust pipes and mufflers I know you’ll use.

the car has 2.5" TTi X-Pipe xhaust to the bumper on it already..

its a complete running driving car now. i don't want to pull anything apart until i have a new motor ready to go.. weekend swap is what i want to do..

Last edited:
I have a stock 360 bottom end with '308 heads on it, a Weiand 4 barrel intake, 340 cam and simple, 2 1/4" exhaust. Holley 600 single feed too. The car idles like a 318 and makes plenty of power. It is actually a great performer that does impressive burnouts and flat out loves to run strong.

View attachment 1716206245
Nice car. What weiand intake are you using? I don't know much about the 360's, those 308 heads are X or J heads or something else

View attachment 1716206245

what gears ya running?

Problem is if he actually CCs everything I bet it actually comes out below 8:1

what gears ya running?
I had 3.91 but I don’t think this light car needs gearing that deep.
The 2.76 I swapped in later was a huge letdown.
I may settle with a 3.55 but I’ll need to swap the SG differential into it.

Problem is if he actually CCs everything I bet it actually comes out below 8:1

LOL - OH! I’d NOT bet against that one. I’ve done it and have come across 7.8-1.

HOWVER!!!!!

IF - Key word there! IF the heads get killed and/or a thin head gasket is used/used over again… whatever… a small gain could be made. IF - There’s that word again - a rebuilding is in order, I gave my opinion on ratio as seen above and think it’ll be good for 87 and the small Hughes cam.

@abodyjoe - You got this man.

-
Back