New 408 build finally started

-
You were a little bit to protective on the first to pic's:lol:

I know your not asking me but.....
How to Build BIG-INCH MOPAR SMALL BLOCKS
BY SA DESIGN is a real good one.

[QUOTE="pittsburghracer, post:
Go slow, ask questions, research, make it a FUN project, and with me 95% of the time I’m by myself. I concentrate way better that way. Here are a few I recommend that are always nearby.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I forgot to mention I have the Mopar Engines (9th ed) as well. I think the Magnum version is very similar. I'll look for the others.
I'll be doing a lot of reading, likely posting questions and in no hurry. Hopefully the local machine shop will be a good resource as well.
Did some reading about thrust bearings. I'll check into the oiling mods as well.

Hmm Warm ..yes
Fuzzy hmmmmm or did you think i said fussy....woop i did day fussy GOOD CALL:BangHead::D

No problem i thought it was funny, and can laugh at myself as well.:thumbsup:

A couple questions. What damper are you running? Just discovered I'll need to change to one without counterweight since I'm planning an internally balanced stroker kit.
I'll also have to sell off the special counterweighted flywheel I purchased.
Also curious what compression you are running.

A couple questions. What damper are you running? Just discovered I'll need to change to one without counterweight since I'm planning an internally balanced stroker kit.
That i'm curious as well.
I'm running 0 deck flat tops on a semi closed chamber and am at 12.7 esh on my 408

It will get an ATI damper I have from my last build. Compression I won’t know for weeks. I have snow on the ground so I can’t get the assembly out to be balanced yet. Lots to do on the block and heads while I wait.

I finished up checking all my bearing clearances the middle of the week last week. I took it back apart and delivered the rotating assembly to my machine shop to have balanced on Friday. Not holding him to a date but he Said I
2EC38C5D-3414-4C9E-9B51-256731CB77AF.jpeg
BA5F2D47-3852-4652-BAC4-DDA477260FC2.jpeg
should have it back in a week or so. I finished tubing and fitting the lifters today so I started rough cleaning the sand casting from the block. I’m not saying you have to go as crazy as I do but when I see some of the engines that are built with thin casting hanging everywhere it about turns my stomach

I ordered a new long 9/32 drill I’ll bit that should be here tomorrow then I can drill the oil passages out leading to my tubed galleys. I already tapped the front for a 3/8 inch pipe plug.

3F16FBD0-9EFF-4A44-9555-20727823A28E.jpeg
If you guys don’t have one of these rotating engine stands, put it on your wish list. I liked it so much I bought a second one. You can stop it in any position so it makes building, tapping, and cleaning an engine so much nicer

I finished up checking all my bearing clearances the middle of the week last week. I took it back apart and delivered the rotating assembly to my machine shop to have balanced on Friday. Not holding him to a date but he Said I View attachment 1715464558 View attachment 1715464559 should have it back in a week or so. I finished tubing and fitting the lifters today so I started rough cleaning the sand casting from the block. I’m not saying you have to go as crazy as I do but when I see some of the engines that are built with thin casting hanging everywhere it about turns my stomach
What does your machine shop charge you for balancing, if you don't mind me asking?

What does your machine shop charge you for balancing, if you don't mind me asking?

I won’t know till I pick it up but he threw an appropriate 200.00 figure out there. It’s starting to add up.

550.00 block and machine work
250.00 Wisco pistons
225.00 K1 Rods.
125.00 roller cam
?—- Bam roller lifters (bought years ago
125.00—.043 piston rings
450.00 K1 four inch stroke crank
???——-full groove mains
????——Chevy rod bearings.

The zerk broke Immediately on me. But I do like the stand. I was thinking about picking up a second one myself. It just makes it so much easier to turn the crank them to manhandle the block around.
View attachment 1715464562 If you guys don’t have one of these rotating engine stands, put it on your wish list. I liked it so much I bought a second one. You can stop it in any position so it makes building, tapping, and cleaning an engine so much nicer

The zerk broke Immediately on me. But I do like the stand. I was thinking about picking up a second one myself. It just makes it so much easier to turn the crank them to manhandle the block around.

I bought my first one from Summit with a 10% off coupon and my second one from Jegs on sale. I had six stands so I turned one into a transmission and ford 9 inch center holder.

DB8167CC-9B72-4068-B0C3-5C0CD1FD7591.jpeg
Good news bad news day. Good news is my 13.00 long drill bit for my oil passages came today. Bad news is my machine shop called and said my K1 crank needs major work. He said it needs about 250 grams removed to balance it. I had my other K1 crank balanced years ago so I honestly can’t remember what it took. This is going to cost a few bucks.

Machine shop called and it’s done. 320.00 plus tax so not bad at all for the work they had to do (12 holes no Mallory metal). I’ll pick it up tomorrow.

I'd be interested to see the drilling process.

-
Back