New 416" street/track motor just fired up! (pics, vids, specs)

-
Very nice setup! What do u think your hp &tq #s are.
Thanks

Very nice setup! What do u think your hp &tq #s are.
Thanks

Didn't dyno it. So just guessing.... One HP per cubic inch (416) and near 450 lbs of TQ. Maybe a little more?

Drove it for first time last night. Very quick throttle response. I like how it's fairly docile and not too loud. But no mistaking you can hear it's got power. Just taking it easy and under 4,000 rpm for a while.

Troy Bray did the porting to the heads.

Pics of some exhausts getting close and a "before" pic. And starting on some intakes.

Attachments

• 11_10_10Sm18.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 11_10_10Sm17.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 336
  • 11_10_10Sm07.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 11_10_10Sm06.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 333
  • Steves_engine,_heads_003.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 346
Head ports matched to intake and header ports.

Also combustion chambers fitted to bore to minimize valve shrouding. Excess threads on spark plug hole blended to chamber. Sharp edges blended later. Didn't polish chamber because didn't want to loose CC's.

Heads CC'd. Combustion cambers unshouded near valve to match bore after bore was scribed in.

Attachments

• 12_22_10Sm8.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 12_22_10Sm5.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 12_9_10sm09.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 347
Troy carefully matched the intake to the head. And scribed line up marks on the top of the 4 intake port groups to the heads. This helped lining up the intake to the head when it was torqued down. Here's the alignment with the red arrow. Came out really nice.

Changed the M1 single plane spread bore pattern to square bore. Idea is that fuel will wet/puddle in the mismatch. So we filled in the difference with Moroso A/B putty.

Attachments

• 11_20_10Sm.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 2_4_11Sm10.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 11_20_11Sm02.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 312
Nice nice would like to here it idle

Here's a better idle quality video with a better digital camera.

Car has 14" open element air cleaner, 2 1/2" TTI X pipe with dynomax mufflers, 3/4" TTI stepped headers, and underhood mat.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QSTlvdqSs"]YouTube - 416 Idling sound walk around[/ame]

Assembly...

Attachments

• 1_9_11Sm8.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 1_9_11Sm5.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 1_1_11Sm15.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 1_1_11Sm08.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 284
Comp roller rockers, custom Smith Bros pushrods, and dressing the comp rockers.

Attachments

• 1_20_11Sm08.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 1_20_11Sm04.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 1_20_11Sm05.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 1_20_11Sm02.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 1_20_11Sm01.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 1_20_11Sm03.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 222
  • 1_16_11Sm02.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 229
  • 1_16_11Sm01.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 236
More assembly...

We lined of the pulleys with washers then make solid one piece spacer welded to the back of the bracket so you don't have to fumble around with washers.

Attachments

• 2_25_11Sm23.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 2_25_11Sm19.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 218
  • 1_23_11Sm01.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 1_21_11Sm2.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 221
I can see you used 2 of the bypass hoses,but how did you come up with the crossover tube?

Glen

EVERYONE has been asking about the crossover tube.

Well, here is the $6 secret crossover tube...

(Before grinding, bondo, and textured black paint)

Also note picture is before I edge polished the fins of the valve covers.

Attachments

• 2_6_11Sm3.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 2_6_11Sm4.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 216
Nice Steve!!!!

Thanks.

The motor project goal was to make it out to Spring Fling Speed Festival last Thrusday. I bought that block at last Spring Fling. So almost exactly one year from begining to end to the motor.

And in the end runs really good!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTT--mGlpTY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Spring Fling Speed Festival 2011: '68 Barracuda "S"[/ame]

Hi Steve,

i have similar rocker shaft holddowns. Are there washers / spacers between the holddown and the rocker? I´m concerned that the rocker will "eat" the aluminium part in my setup.

Michael

Hi Steve

I run a similar stroker combo - 26 cubes less, 800cfm Thunder, M1, much less flowing heads but a XS282S cam - and mine makes around 435HP at the crank - verifed at 20% losses and also in MPH at the track - so I reckon with your blueprinting and heads you'd be closer to 450 HP.

One question - do you think that mechanical fuel pump will feed that beast at 6000 RPM?

I know mine didn't. ;)

You may want to check that breather setup over the course of the summer. It looks cool, and it should not be affected by oil or gas, but vibration from racing will probably crack it over time. Vibration over time will crack the aluminum tubing too... Just takes more time.

Hi Steve,

i have similar rocker shaft holddowns. Are there washers / spacers between the holddown and the rocker? I´m concerned that the rocker will "eat" the aluminium part in my setup.

Michael

Thats why we dressed the end of the rockers for a smooth surface. Some had the bushing sticking out a tiny amount. The hold downs were too wide so we just sanded/shaved those down to get the proper clearances Comp wanted (.030 ?? IIRC).

I do understand your concern though. Any others run those rockers like that? Or had issue running them against the aluminum???

The rockers get a lot of lubrication since the center of them is open. No need for a bannana groove. We were a little concerned there could be too much oil in the top end. Didn't seem that was an issue, or we would have seen oil out of the breathers at the track when I was running up to 6000-6100 rpm at the end of both long straights for 4-5 laps.

You may want to check that breather setup over the course of the summer. It looks cool, and it should not be affected by oil or gas, but vibration from racing will probably crack it over time. Vibration over time will crack the aluminum tubing too... Just takes more time.

I'm monitoring them constantly as with everthing else. I've got $6 in them.

We didn't have time to make a support from the timming cover/water pump bolt. Its sort of sanwiched between the upper radiator hose and fuel line. It could use a support.

I don't go to the track every week. Or even every month. It's expensive and during the work weeks. But I do drive it, it's my only car. It will see it's fair share of abuse just driving around.

Hi Steve

I run a similar stroker combo - 26 cubes less, 800cfm Thunder, M1, much less flowing heads but a XS282S cam - and mine makes around 435HP at the crank - verifed at 20% losses and also in MPH at the track - so I reckon with your blueprinting and heads you'd be closer to 450 HP.

One question - do you think that mechanical fuel pump will feed that beast at 6000 RPM?

I know mine didn't. ;)

I run 3/8" line from the pickup to the carb. I would think that should handle it??? It's a hi volume 2 piece style carter pump. Mechanical pumps are used in Nascar for safety reasons.

Other faster Mopars than mine are running 3/8". But others have starved fuel with 5/16 and high output motors AT THE TRACK. It's the long straights at high rpm.

pettybludart said:
Nice work,she,s gonna pull hard outta the corners.Good luck with your racing,well deserved for your hard work. .

A little too hard off the corners. On my first lap back on the track in a year I was trying to take it easy and out of the groove. New motor with 150+ more HP and TQ AND new suspsension. I needed to ajust to the car. It's much different that before!!

So in MY wisdom I get on it from a low speed on the back straight. Well, using up the grip accellerating, going over the big bump in the dogleg straight in the WRONG place... Well it onloaded the chassis pretty good...

Oh well. I learned my lesson. I also totally disconnected my rear sway bar and helped tremendously.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJW-YvipFYE"]YouTube - Willow Springs shake down[/ame]

-
Back