New A-body! '71 Dart GT, EL5

-

72bluNblu

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So here I am having to join a new forum! I spend a ton of time at cuda-challenger, as I bought a '72 Challenger not all that long ago as my primary means of transportation. Its a 318/904 car, non-numbers matching b3/b5 car. And I've got plenty of things planned for it, including a 340 and a 4 speed, but thats not why I'm here...

See, I did something the other day that was just bound to happen. I look at ebay and craiglist and such to look at cars. Mostly just to see other cars and how they've been restored or set up, occasionally to kick myself when I see a car in better condition than mine sell for less, and of course to tease myself with stuff I can't really afford. But every now and then something pops up that catches my eye, and I have a hard time resisting temptation. Which was what happened before thanksgiving. I saw this nice '71 Dodge Dart GT on eBay, not going for a whole lot of cash. Nice car, but I like the 67-69's better. And then I saw that it was pretty much in the same city. And then I looked up some things on '71 Dart GT's, like how they only made at most 1255 of them. Ugh. So I watched, and figured it would go for more money than I wanted to spend. After all, its an original blue plate CA car, clean as can be. But the bid never went up!

That is of course, until I bid on it. 8)

And won the auction. So I guess I should introduce my new car. Its a 1971 Dodge Dart GT, complete with fender tag with the A65 package. Original GT trim still in place! Its missing a few things, but its an actual, real life, original CA car. No rust. None. A few dents and dings, but with ~82K on the odometer its a real survivor. So after I towed it home (runs only if you prime the carb, then only til the prime wears off, looks like a fuel pump issue) I did some more research, and found out that the EL5 paint was an extra cost option (Yes, that's right, its butterscotch!). And that there are no other cars on the '70/'71 GT registry in that color. Cool deal. So on Thanksgiving I went out and looked to see if I could find a buildsheet. No glovebox, darn. Not behind the seat backs, darn again. After I figured out how to get the rear seat out, bingo! The original buildsheet! :hello1:

So after I put that away, I keep checking things out. Roll underneath to find its a numbers matching car too! And, even more to the point, again, NO RUST! I love this thing already! And its got Swift Dodge of Sacramento license plate frames that look about as old as the plates. Maybe an original Sacramento car?

It is missing a few things, some trim etc. And it needs most of the interior redone, and a new heater switch, and I'm sure countless other things along the way. But man is it clean!

Ok, I know :worthles:, so here's some pictures.

IMG_3606.jpg

d9c5_3.jpg

IMG_3610.jpg

Here's a partial fender tag decode too...

LH23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
High
2 Door Hardtop

G1R: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Windsor, ONT, CAN

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EL5: Butterscotch Exterior Color
H6XW: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
415: Build Date: April 15

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
U: USA Specifications
A65: Dart GT Package
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats

F09: Unknown
F11: 46 Amp Alternator (std with AC)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J31: Dual Horns
M21: Roof drip rail moldings

M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
N95: Emissions Control
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)

V5X: Body Side Stripes, Black
END: End of Sales Codes

Welcome aboard, you'll like it here, a lot of good people and info. Cudos on the car! I looks good and most importantly it's a rare car in a rare color to boot. Keep us posted on the progress you make on it and of course, post lots of pics!
Tom.:evil4:

good job winning..I was watching that auction as I am in sacramento this weekend...had no way to get it home....

I was really surprised it didn't go for more than it did, but then again I think it ended up being more interesting than the seller advertised. If he'd put it up as a numbers matching car with a buildsheet I'm sure more people would have been following it.

Actually I had to go rent a way to get it home myself, was pretty interesting the day before thanksgiving!

The color is pretty interesting, what I've found so far is that it would have cost extra for that particular paint option, which might make it pretty rare. Of course I'll have to keep it that color, though it really is growing on me.

Speaking of codes, does anyone know what F09 is? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

A fellow club member has a EL5 Swinger that is a excellent survivor. Just took the original plug wires and hoses off to make it more realible to cruise around in.

121.jpg

07PkrRally0183a.JPG

That's awesome! Looks like the body is in quite a bit better shape...

Actually, I'd like to know a little more about that one, looks like a lot of the same options (lower molding and stripe), just in EL5 and black instead of white...

I was really surprised it didn't go for more than it did, but then again I think it ended up being more interesting than the seller advertised. If he'd put it up as a numbers matching car with a buildsheet I'm sure more people would have been following it.

Actually I had to go rent a way to get it home myself, was pretty interesting the day before thanksgiving!

The color is pretty interesting, what I've found so far is that it would have cost extra for that particular paint option, which might make it pretty rare. Of course I'll have to keep it that color, though it really is growing on me.

Speaking of codes, does anyone know what F09 is? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

I think it has that package that included the rim blow steering wheel. Relatively popular in 71 Darts. It came with the A61 Swinger Automatic package. From the Dealer books it looks like the GT was an option on a Swinger. I wonder if your build sheet shows A61?

Does that car have an 8 3/4 rear end. It seem most loaded 318 with A/C and disks got them. But in 71 some strange cars got 8 3/4's. You'll see a /6 with one but not on a loaded 318 car. Tough to make sense of it.

The trim guides on Hamtramak Historical will be very very helpful to you.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml

Specifically:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971SalesmansPocketGuidesDodge-01.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971DealershipDataBook-06.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971ColorAndTrim-05.shtml

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971FleetBook-03a.shtml

That's awesome! Looks like the body is in quite a bit better shape...

Actually, I'd like to know a little more about that one, looks like a lot of the same options (lower molding and stripe), just in EL5 and black instead of white...

That car I think should show up in a magazine some time soon. They took pictures of it at a Spring Fling a year ago. It's a very nice survivor bought with under 50K miles (now counting) If you'd like to see it in person, come down to a Spring Fling. :)

Glad to here you brakes in the Challenger are working fine now.

It's a console car with A/C. Here's some more pictures...

Look how nice the plastic chrome is around the dash insert =P~

PkrRally0189.JPG

PICT0416a.JPG

Thanks AutoX! As many times as I've been to Barry's site I always miss something important!

Yes, its a swinger as well, A61 on the buildsheet. Also lists A01, "light package". It does have an 8 3/4, open with 2.76:1 gears. It doesn't have disks though! It has HD (11") drums up front. From the '70/'71 registry it looks like this was common for the GT's?

Yeah, finally got the brakes taken care of on the chally, what an ordeal. Hate it when parts just don't fit. Hopefully I'll see that one up close and personal at spring fling, with any luck I'll have the challenger there. Mine's a console with A/C car too...swinger thing? Just when I thought I knew a couple of things about the e-bodies I go and buy an a-body...

Thanks AutoX! As many times as I've been to Barry's site I always miss something important!

Yes, its a swinger as well, A61 on the buildsheet. Also lists A01, "light package". It does have an 8 3/4, open with 2.76:1 gears. It doesn't have disks though! It has HD (11") drums up front. From the '70/'71 registry it looks like this was common for the GT's?

Yeah, finally got the brakes taken care of on the chally, what an ordeal. Hate it when parts just don't fit. Hopefully I'll see that one up close and personal at spring fling, with any luck I'll have the challenger there. Mine's a console with A/C car too...swinger thing? Just when I thought I knew a couple of things about the e-bodies I go and buy an a-body...

The HD drums would have come with the 8 3/4 axle. But that all might hinge on wider tire option? What does you build sheet show for tires?

I forgot if the car I pictures has and 8 3/4 or not. That car is real close to yours except for the A61 package, rallye lh mirror, and GT package. It would be weird for them both not to get 8 3/4's.

BTW could you go back an edit your post with the three pictures across the page? Put the code on seperate lines so the picture are vertical.
Like:
(img)(/img)

(img)(/img)

(img)(/img)

Instead of:
(img)(/img)(img)(/img)(img)(/img)

Right now this thread is hard to read because the picture go across the page and you have to scroll from left to right to read anything here.

Weird, shows up vertical on my browser. Fixed though!

Tires- look the same as that other one you posted, buildsheet shows T64 (d78x14 wsw fiber?).

Also, on the buildsheet I have a number in the "remarks" section at the very bottom of the sheet. Special order?

:cheers: Thanks...

More detailed engine pics...

PICT0417a.JPG

PICT0419a.JPG

Nice!

Now I can figure out what mine's missing! :grin:

Nice!

Now I can figure out what mine's missing! :grin:

I could email you all of those in much higher 1280x960 res. 8) If I had your email.

Just some things that came to my head. Just ideas that's all...IMHO that car could get spruced up with selective parts

-PG Classics awesome repro dash pad $199
-Carpet kit $130
-Pep Boys stick on side molding to cover up orginal attachment holes (orginal is going to be b#t$h to find)
-Front and Rear seat upolstry
-drip rail molding (hit some junk yards)
-passenger front eyebrow molding $15-25

-carefull buffing and cleaning of the paint.

If the center cap and center ring ($95 new) are missing you might consider a Grant Tuff wheel repro. They will bolt right onto that rim blow steering collar. Both wheels share the same collar.

are you sure that is the code? fo9 in 71 meant it was a 400 2bbl eng. conversion for chrysler newport. at least that is what i see. post a pic of the tag or better yet look to see if it is on the build sheet as f09. then you can see what it is listed under and maybe figure it out from there. so what are the plans? complete restoration? any changes? i love the color combonation. i think it is a great car. my wifes car is a 71 swinger w/ citron yella paint as original. oh welcome aboard too!

i noticed your car is a westcoast production car as well. i couldn't see but do you have the original gas car or is it a chrome one? if it is chrome the original is a 71 only piece for emmisons. the cap only fits a 71 emmisions neck. standard caps are going to be loose. the fix is either find a cap for 71 specific or change out the filler neck and put in a 72 and up neck and then you can put any cap on it. the rimblow wheel you have is very nice. it is worth a fair amount of money as well. it is also very expensive to restore. i just had my wifes interior redone including the wheel. the center cap is hard to find not damaged. they can be had newly repoped but it too is expensive in it's self. here is what it will look like when it is redone with the correct center cap....

DSC01864.JPG

DSC01867.JPG

Congratulations
I spoke to Mike, the guy you got the car from. I also have a 71 GT, but mine is missing the rocker panel emblems, which are very rare and not made aftermarket. He would not sell them alone. Had to be on the car. My suggestion to you is to find either a vender who can reproduce them in metal, or injection moulding in plastic, and sell them. I was willing to pay $200 for the ones on your car with that intention. You could make enough money to pay for your car and the cost to fix it up. The guy that runs the 70/71 GT registry could probably help you find a vendor. There is a company in Canada that does this kind of work, but I can't think of their name. Glood luck.

are you sure that is the code? fo9 in 71 meant it was a 400 2bbl eng. conversion for chrysler newport. at least that is what i see. post a pic of the tag or better yet look to see if it is on the build sheet as f09. then you can see what it is listed under and maybe figure it out from there. so what are the plans? complete restoration? any changes? i love the color combonation. i think it is a great car. my wifes car is a 71 swinger w/ citron yella paint as original. oh welcome aboard too!

Yup, its F09. I saw it on a couple of the other GT's on the registry, sure doesn't look like its decoded anywhere and as I mentioned it isn't on the buildsheet. The rimblow in the car looks great, but its missing the center cap so I guess I'll have to look for that too!

Right now the plan is just to get it running, I have a fuel problem to take care of first. A receipt I found in the car suggests its losing compression on the left bank, so I'll have to figure that one out too. I may end up putting the 318 in my challenger in it for awhile after I finish building the 340 for it, so I can still drive it while I rebuild the original 318. Its so clean that I'll probably leave it alone for awhile, maybe do the bodywork and paint down the road. At this point it really doesn't need a full resto :-D

here is a link for you. http://www.7071dartgt.net/

the owner of the site is a member here as well....
p.s. i looked at his site at all the gt's he has registered there and saw no f09 codes anywhere listed. it could be a factory error??? especially since it is not on build sheet......

I Like It!! The color is awesome and the interior combo really makes it satnd out. Great Score! Are you going to keep it as original as possible or ad some flavor to it? I'm just thinkin' butt stripe and a set of Demon Scoops would really make it POP 8)

For right now I'd just like to get it running!:)

I do like the look of the demon scoops, but I'd have to think about doing anything to the stock hood, it's just about perfect. Maybe if I see another hood for cheap, or maybe I'll just get a 'glass one so I can leave the stocker alone.

I already sent the info on the car to the 70/71 gt registry, that's where I was looking before I bought the car. As far as the F09 code, I know I've seen it online somewhere for an a-body, although it could just be a factory goof.

AutoX, sent you an email! :)

Sorry I am so late on welcoming you to this great site 72bluNblu.
As you can see we have some great tec's and folks here.
Thanks for a great intro and looking forward to more post.
Good luck on the build and keep us updated :cheers:

Thanks Mike!

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from some emails I sent about the car, trying to track down some of its background. I really don't know all that much about the '71 GT's, so it'd be cool to figure some of that stuff out. I have managed to find at least one other EL5 '71 GT though.

As far as the car goes, I've had it running for a few minutes with starter fluid, but its not getting any fuel. Actually going to test the fuel pump today, hopefully thats it and not the carb as its an easier fix...

-
Back