New alternater & voltage reg - not charging

-
jimmyray - I have only one female plug on the alternator. 67Dart273 poster a picture in a newer thread this evening that show two alternators side by side and mine is the single post version on the left that - apparantly - is for an older model that I have.

67Dart273 - My voltage regulator looks like the one shown in the link you provided and in the first picture that you posted yesterday.

Forgive me if you get this twice - my last post didn't seem to work.

I don't have two female plugs. Only one.

The voltage regulator is the one that the link shows in 67Dart273's post this evening and it is the same as the first voltage regulator in the pictures shown in 67Dart273's post last night.

Just to clarify for other readers,

Whether you have an early (1 field term) or later (2 field term) alternator, if you apply 12 V across the field, you should get full output from the alternator, or at least as much as it puts out at idle speed.

You can manually apply 12 V across the field by jumpering 12 V from BATT+ to one terminal and grounding the other terminal. Doesn't matter which one, but disconnect your factory field wires first. In early ones, the grounding is already done because one brush bolts to the frame without a ceramic insulator. Use a multimeter to verify that you are truly applying 12 V between the 2 brushes. If not, your "ground brush" may not be getting grounded thru the frame, due to corrosion.

With above, if your alternator does not output strongly, either it is bad or it is not getting grounded well thru the frame to engine connection (or bad engine block to BATT- connection). A bad alternator is usually either from no field current or blown output diodes. The field wiring can be checked with an ohmmeter and could be simply worn-out brushes.

Once you get it to output manually, worry about how the Vreg does the same thing, but varying the field voltage as needed to control the output it senses. Many things can go wrong there, most of which are due to your car's wiring, not the Vreg itself.

After trying a new voltage regulator today - the store that sold me the alternator is trying now to locate an alternator with two field connectors. The only voltage regulator listed for my car shows a diagram of an alternator with two field connections - yet alternators listed for my car have both one and two field connections.

Hopefully - I'll be able to trade up to an alternator with two connections.

This opinion will be about as popular here as a prostitute teaching Sunday School, but a friend of mine with a 66 Satellite got tired of all the new/old regulator alternator problems and he bought and installed a new (2000's style) mini alternator with the built in regulator. It's not original, but it solved the HELL out of his charging problem!
:)

This opinion will be about as popular here as a prostitute teaching Sunday School, but a friend of mine with a 66 Satellite got tired of all the new/old regulator alternator problems and he bought and installed a new (2000's style) mini alternator with the built in regulator. It's not original, but it solved the HELL out of his charging problem!
:)

There are lots of guys running non Mopar or at least newer alternators, so there's more than one way to skin a cat.

A VERY long time ago, long before Al Gore invented the internet, I had a 340 in my old Landcruiser. Before the "wench" went on the front, and a great big Mopar big frame 120 A alternator "got scored," I used to run the popular Delco integral regulator alternator.

After trying a new voltage regulator today - the store that sold me the alternator is trying now to locate an alternator with two field connectors. The only voltage regulator listed for my car shows a diagram of an alternator with two field connections - yet alternators listed for my car have both one and two field connections.

Hopefully - I'll be able to trade up to an alternator with two connections.

/6 Matt seems to have gone through this same deal. This is quite simply a problem with Bullshit parts "stores" which have gotten so corporateized--and computerized that they don't know WTF they are doing. This should not be guesswork (on their part.) This stuff has been around for a very long time now, and is "set in stone."

Hell even NAPA is AFU. Some time ago I tried to buy a brush set for a squareback alternator, and there should only be ONE part no so far as I know. I went through THREE of the same part no, but none of 'em were correct, and worse, were not the same betwixt the three!!!! I finally managed to rob some pieces out of one brush set and mixed in with another, then turned the other two in as "defective."

Can you IMAGINE what it'll be like when the 3rd gen. hemis are 40 years old? 'Course, I won't be here.

Can you IMAGINE what it'll be like when the 3rd gen. hemis are 40 years old? 'Course, I won't be here.

This should be a new post. One of the big reasons I like my old Mopars. There are so many manufacturers and models out there, under criss-crossed badging, that parts management would be impossible without computers. Even then, one bad entry in the master database and an available part just vanishes. I suspect that might be why I can't find rear 10" drums for my 65 Dart, despite false leads.

In the 60's, it was pretty simple, mostly either GM, Ford, or Chrysler parts, each in 3 body sizes, with many parts interchanging. Even thru the 70's, Jap or European car parts and service was expensive and specialized. Even earlier, you could buy a suspension part for a Model T at every country store. Woe will be those who try to keep current cars running 40 years from today.

Ken71Twister described the issue I am having to the "T." However, when I arc the two wires on the regulator, I still get no charge to the battery. I have the two field alternator. I've been down the same path with my diagnostics. I still have not figured out my problem.

I plan to go and try what 67Dart273 suggested. It doesn't seem this should be that complicated but it is. I am tempted to just go to a single wire alternator but I would have no clue what I should be hooking up where.

67Dart273, can you please describe how the chart you provided "Voltage Regulator Test" works? I mean I see the diagram, but how does this show how you're testing your regulator?

Ken71Twister described the issue I am having to the "T." However, when I arc the two wires on the regulator, I still get no charge to the battery. I have the two field alternator. I've been down the same path with my diagnostics. I still have not figured out my problem.

I plan to go and try what 67Dart273 suggested. It doesn't seem this should be that complicated but it is. I am tempted to just go to a single wire alternator but I would have no clue what I should be hooking up where.

67Dart273, can you please describe how the chart you provided "Voltage Regulator Test" works? I mean I see the diagram, but how does this show how you're testing your regulator?

You probably should have started a new thread. First, let's get straight what you are working on? What year model, 69/ earlier, or 70/ later?

If you have the 70/ later system, jumpering the two regulator wires together will NOT cause it to charge.

And let's have details about what happened, and what you have done.

If I need to I can start a new forum, but as mentioned what Ken71Twister described and the actions he took were pretty much in line with everything I did with the exception of jumping the voltage regulator. He said his system was charging after he jumped it, while when I did that, it did not charge.

I have a '73 Barracuda / 340.

I did a continuity test in my green / blue wires from the two Fields of the alternator to the regulator and then to the resistor, and I have good wires (as I should 'cause my harness is a new one purchased from YearOne. I tried swapping alternators too, I have the benefit of a friend's car next door to me I can swap parts. He has a '73 Dart. My regulator is new and I still have my old one. I tried to connect the wires through the old one without properly grounding the old regulator down, now I wonder if I fried it?

So I am going to try some of the tests recommended to Ken71Twister tonight. I hope this works. I am crossing my fingers.

Don't know if you hurt it or not, but the regulator absolutely MUST be grounded to operate.

To "quick simplify" some of the test, do this:

Turn the key to "run" and use your meter or test lamp. Disconnect the green wire at the alternator but leave the blue hooked up. Probe both the blue and the unhooked terminal where you pulled the green off. You should show power on both. Ground exposed alternator terminal and start the engine. Watch the ammeter and see if it charges by bringing the RPM up some.

Solved my problem. I was a bad (new) voltage regulator. I hooked my old regulator up and I'm now charging fine. Thanks 67Dart273! You are the man!

OK.....2 weeks later here's an update and a success story. 67Dart273 had the right answer. I had the wrong alternater and I installed a rebuilt Bosh today with 2 field connections and it charges perfectly! Thanks for the help. It was a painful path but I learned a couple of things along the way. Thanks for your inputs and help.

Ken

And hopefully you found a reputable and reliable parts outlet so you don't have to second guess everything they give you in the future.

I live in a relatively small town - so "reputable and reliable" may not a good as I'd find in Atlanta and Tampa - 5 and 6 hours away.

-
Back