New Best Friday Night

-

Dusterb318

Reaction score
Well I went to Dragway 42 Friday night for a little T&T. This will be the first time out with the Cal-Tracs and new converter and intake so I knew I was gonna have some work to do. I also met up with 70dusterjohn.....hell of a nice guy him and his dad and they have a bad *** 70 Duster. It's always more fun with someone in the pits to BS with. Anyway first pass off the trailer I ran a 15.2 @ like 92mph.....sencond run same crap. So I start looking at the carb cause I knew it was off and I found the linkage was off and I wasn't opening full throttle....had about a 1/4 - 1/2" more travel. Then dummy me cranked the mixture screws in to drop the idle instead of adjusting everything right ( I was in a hurry and not thinking, let me have it I know). So I cgo to make another pass and the carwon't even do a burnout with the carb mixture screwed up.....well I ended up running a 14.3 @ 98 mph with a screwed up carb. I decide to hot lap it and turn on the bottle......I get the bottle warmed up to 950psi in the lanes and get up to the line........That car launched like I have never felt before spun the tires till I grabbed 2nd then just flew.....I ended up with a new best of 12.58 @ 113 mph. I was all smiles.....I finally got my 12 sec slip. Now I can start fine tuning this thing. I got the carb straightened out this weekend at home now and few few jetting changes at the track to optimize things and some Cal-Trac adjustments and I think I can see some times faster than I was counting on with this old 318.

Coool. Now to get that 60' down some and you'll really be cooking. Between the 2 of them, your in good shape.

yeah thats the next step getting the car to hook and get the carb fine tuned.......I really think I can see some reallt low 12's if she'll hook up.

Sounds like you did pretty well! Can i hear what the specs are on your motor? Sounds like you are right where i was on my last outing with my 318 and i had some issues to sort out.

nice work :thumblef:

Congratulations! I'm liking your E.T. cause I got a 360/727/4.10 combo going together myself :) Find that 11.99 !!!

PS How big a bottle shot?

Specs are:
Engine-
- '73 318 Block bored .030
- Stock Crank (.010 under on mains and rods)
- Stock rods (shot-peened, resized, magnafluxed, ARP wav-lock bolts)
- TRW forged aluminum flatops (9.48:1 CR w/ MP thin head gaskets))
- Straightline Custom Solid Flat tappet cam (220/228, .495/.488 108*inst)
- Eddy RPM Heads, untouched out-of-the-box
- M1 Intake Gasket Matched
- 750 Holley vac. secondaries carb (Quick Fuel adj vac. sec)
- Hooker Super Com 1 3/4" Primary Headers
- 2 1/2" Exhaust w/ Dynomax Ultra Flo Mufflers, H- Pipe, exhaust cut-outs
-MSD billet dist, 6AL box, MSD 8.5mm wires, Blaster2 coil
- Edelbrock Performer Nitrous Kit (100hp)

Trans n Rear

- 904 w/ CRT Rebuild Kit
- 3000 RM Stall ACC Custom Convertor
-8 3/4 rear w/ Yukon gear 4.10's and Aubrun SG (Randy's Ring and Pinion)

Suspension

- Stock leaves re-arched, KYB shocks all around
- Cal-Tracs
- BFG radial drags (275/60-R15)

If you are going on a Friday PM me and I'll see if I can go........

Dusterb318 said:
Specs are:
Engine-
- '73 318 Block bored .030
- Stock Crank (.010 under on mains and rods)
- Stock rods (shot-peened, resized, magnafluxed, ARP wav-lock bolts)
- TRW forged aluminum flatops (9.48:1 CR w/ MP thin head gaskets))
- Straightline Custom Solid Flat tappet cam (220/228, .495/.488 108*inst)
- Eddy RPM Heads, untouched out-of-the-box
- M1 Intake Gasket Matched
- 750 Holley vac. secondaries carb (Quick Fuel adj vac. sec)
- Hooker Super Com 1 3/4" Primary Headers
- 2 1/2" Exhaust w/ Dynomax Ultra Flo Mufflers, H- Pipe, exhaust cut-outs
-MSD billet dist, 6AL box, MSD 8.5mm wires, Blaster2 coil
- Edelbrock Performer Nitrous Kit (100hp)

Trans n Rear

- 904 w/ CRT Rebuild Kit
- 3000 RM Stall ACC Custom Convertor
-8 3/4 rear w/ Yukon gear 4.10's and Aubrun SG (Randy's Ring and Pinion)

Suspension

- Stock leaves re-arched, KYB shocks all around
- Cal-Tracs
- BFG radial drags (275/60-R15)

Sounds pretty good, can i ask what the elevation at the track is? D/A too if ya got it.

I rana 14.3 at 3700ft D/A with

Motor

318 - .030
Flat-top pistons..nothing special
Comp Hydraulic cam, .480 lift, 280 duration
J-Heads, 2.02, ports are untouched, just the deck has been milled
9.7:1 compression
Performer RPM intake
650 Thunder AVS carb
Dynomaxx Coated Headers
MSD 6A, Heli-Core wires, stock distributor
with a clutch fan

Trans/Diff
Some cheap 3000rpm conveter someone gave me
transgo tf-2 shift kit
low gear set
richmond 3.91s in a rebuilt clutch SG - 8 3/4"

Rear suspension
Air shocks lol
and TIRED leaf springs, one side has a helper spring lol
some spinning 275/60/15 cooper cobra radials with no heat.

Needless to say i need some rear suspension upgrades. Car is daily driven, and that was full weight with no weight reduction. Ive done a few things since that last run, im expecting high 13s my next outing. Nice to see another hopped up 318 runnin around :thumblef: :salut:

I have no idea what the track elevation is or what the D/A was that night......it was around 60* with almost no humidity though.

My opinion, you should be much closer to the 12s without the bottle, never mind with it. I'd be looking for a 12.80 without the NOS. Keep after it. You have the makings of a very quick car there.

moper said:
My opinion, you should be much closer to the 12s without the bottle, never mind with it. I'd be looking for a 12.80 without the NOS. Keep after it. You have the makings of a very quick car there.

I totally agree......I have a bunch of carb and suspension tuning I have to do yet. My converter is set up to run with nitrous so that is gonna make a difference without using it.......But I should be running very low 13's N/A if not in the high 12's. I'll get the carb lined out and then work on the suspension......one thing at a time.

Well phil that little Duster was flying on that last pass!!!! Just thought I'd say hey, dad said hey, and you have one h### of a nice car! Hope to see you out at 42 again soon!

70dusterjohn said:
Well phil that little Duster was flying on that last pass!!!! Just thought I'd say hey, dad said hey, and you have one h### of a nice car! Hope to see you out at 42 again soon!

Thanks John....well it's not like your Duster wasn't moving either.....9's isn't slow......Yeah My Dad and I had a blast up there pitting with you guys....looking forward to doing it again.

Hey thats great ! 113 mph is 11 second territory with some hook up. In bad air my boys Dart has run in the 11.60's at 114 mph. Now if we get some good air days when he runs close to 117 mph he might see 11.40's now that she is hooking on the new Hoosier's. Very nice runs. Ron

-
Back