New Best time for my 318!

-

mean318

Reaction score
Well, I am finally getting around to posting this on here, but my dart has done another best time with a [email protected] in Hockenheim.
A short recap of the weekend:
Drove the 250 km to Hockenheim at about 55 mph the whole way (4.11 gears) and that took me about 3 hours. Woke up to sunny weather and then signed in and then decided to try the street tires out, which resulted in NO traction through first and second gears and a 15.36 @ 101 mph. Then I put the M&H Muscle car DOT slicks on and waited to run. About 3/4 of the way through it started raining, and I mean RAINING! The rain did not stop till about 8 oclock Sunday morning and then it was beautiful from there on out. I ended up getting six more runs. The first run was a 13.54 which was right on track! I then did a 13.45. 13.34 13.38, 13.34 and then a 13.28. I then drove the way back with no problems!
I am happy that my car has lasted this long with a 11 year old rebuilt trans A904 that still has fluid that looks like new. The magnum heads came from the junkyard and were gasket matched and the bowls opened up and can't forget to mention the 15 year old comp cams camshaft. Hopefully I can make it out to Bitburg one more time to hopefully break into the 12's!

Here is a run of my 13.38:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56jTnSNiyXI&feature=share"]68DartGT Public Race Days 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video of my first run at (3:49) right after me in the far lane is Juergen with his 69 dart. His best run of the weekend was a 13.86.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2TjhL0ekk"]Public Race Days 2011 1/4 Mile Racing HockenheimRing Germany HD-Video01/29 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a run (1:43) with my arch nemises 318 '64 Dart 4 door. Car is super clean and runs 12.2's and he is the coolest racer around! The only thing in my favor is that I drive mine on the street regularly, and that is his race car.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyEHPxXfdFo&feature=related"]Public Race Days 2011 1/4 Mile Racing HockenheimRing Germany HD-Video06/29 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks FABO!

Nice Time Cory!!!! Looks like alot of Fun!!!:cheers:
And congrats to this 13,28! Thats pretty cool for a teen!

Congrats on the pb. Cool vids. Thought 10s were the quickest I'd see until the 11 minute mark on the third one...but that pass looked to be clicked off pretty early.

Nice times! Those 318's aren't so bad after all, are they. I surprised a lot of people with my all-mopar 318, running similar times to yours.

Nice runs for your 318!!

It seems to me that most of the racers are starting their runs from an idle. Is this customary for the European cars due to traction control programming or light duty clutches?

I noticed that the guys with the American cars seem to start with higher rpms.

thats hella good times for a 318. im glad i stayed with my tenn, as i am sure it will suprise quite a few people.

Thanks for all the comments! Well to answer the question about people leaving the line here in Germany, the event was a public race event and MOST of the participants are not regular racers, so they don't know when to leave and or they don't know their car.
I think the slowest trap speed was 98 or so, but I was so upset that I didn't put my slicks on right away that I really did not care.
The motor is the original block that is bored .040 over with some KB 167 pistons Comp Cams 280H cam. Magnum heads gasket matched and bowl work done, Proff. Products Cross wind intake with a trusty Thermoquad and some TTI headers. Trans is a A904 with a B&M shift kit and 2500 stall that I rebuilt about 11 years ago. 8.75 rear with sure grip and 4.11 gears. The weekend prior I had installed SS springs with some W100 shocks
To tell you the truth I was very skeptical about the M&H musclcar DOT slicks but it turned out that they hooked up very well. I would recomend them to anyone running around the same power level.
Next up is going to be a 3000 stall converter. Any recommendations?

@ Tom, did you go to Herten? If so how was it?

More converter than 3000 if you can stand it.

Might look at 9.5" unit that is decent for highway stuff but flashes to the high 3's range. ATI, TA, Dynamic, ultimate, A1 are all good brands. Check out posts by DJV and the cuda he has with a similar converter.

Thats a 12 second car with a MPH of 105, stout little motor.

Yup. Fast as my old '70 RR sixpack car in street trim. It weighed more, had 3.54 gears.

Hey Cory, was a very nice trip again this year, had a lot of fun there! Next year i will be there with the new engine in my valiant.....we´ll see!

Michael

That's a good running 318. I used to have a similar setup in my dart. Thanks for the video.

I raced one of those new Honda si dohc vtec cars he claimed his fastest time was around 14.50 well after three races the last one I smoked him by 2 1/2 cars... That puts me around 14.0 but I hope to be 13s in a couple months with a stall and new heads,cam,int,carb

Stock converter 3.91 gears and crappy tires heres a vid of one of the races
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VCup3Fdwl4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]73 Duster vs Honda si vtec - YouTube[/ame]

Well ladies and gentlemen got a new best time with a 13.09, this was after I installed a new TA torque converter that flashes at 3500. 60' dropped from 2.18 to 1.91. The track was at a higher elevation and the air was not so good. The thing that I am most concerned about is my front suspension and how it does not react or rise at all. I think there is binding in it. What is the best solution? I would like to have it loose and I will actually get some real drag shocks instead of the cheap ones that I have. What recomendations do you guys have for a good front suspension setup?

/6 torsion bars if you don't have them and a set of calvert front shocks would help.

The front has a bunch of 60 foot time in it. It's one area most people ignore. IMO, it's more important than what's going on with the rear. You want the front end to be really free/loose coming up.

You want about 5-6" of rise in the front end. As the car sits, measure from ground to wheelwell lip. Then, jack up the car until just before your wheel start to lift off the ground. Measure the ground to lip again. It may require trimming the bump stops, etc. to get it there.

Good converters make a HUGE difference. How did it MPH this time out?

Great effort and keep chipping away. At 105 mph from last time it could run as low as a 12.50 or so.

Crackedback is bang on with lightening the front end. You can also do things like relocate the battery to the trunk,and replace as much of the motor components with aluminum that you can. More expensively you can replace sheetmetal with fibreglass,and the stock susp with lightweight aftermarket stuff.

Your car runs great as is though! Great job!

Nice looking '68 and quite a cool 318 you have in there, congrats on the quick times. Really cool videos too.

What's up with that supra missing the green light (@ 3:30)? It basically sat there for maybe 2.5 seconds, but still managed a 10.36? That doesn't sound right, but the car did take off like a mother, especially near the end of the run.

-
Back