new clutch

-

no1newb

Reaction score
i got a 318 with a 4speed and i need a new clutch (pressure plate, all that stuff) i pretty much want to re-build all that in between the trans and the engine. what is the easiest way, i cannot pull the engine, i pretty much have to do it in a drive way, is there a way to drop the transmission easily?

Just get the car as far up in the air as you can and remember that trans is one heavy bastard.

Normally I block up the engine underneath so it's supported.

Back when I was a chevy guy in my early 20s I could just roll a Muncie up on my chest and lift it in there.

No way in hell could I do that with a cast iron Mopar unit today.

Oh……. And get a Centerforce clutch kit. I may cost a bit more but the extra expense is more than worth it.

Early A Bodies with 4 speeds usually have 9 1/2" clutches. If your car has a 318
it may have a different size than the original. If the bellhousing is cast iron it will have the 9 1/2" unit. If it has a aluminum bellhousing it was converted to a 10 1/2" clutch. Performance clutches are next to impossible to find for the
9 1/2" flywheel although there might be a dual disc unit available but you will have to contact Centerforce on that one. I found a 10" that will work on the smaller flywheel and I will post that info later tonight. toolmanmike

Here's the 10" clutch I got that fits the 9 1/2" flywheel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-6...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

clutch kit 008.jpg

I used a heavy duty set up . like out of a taxie. I dont remember all the details but this let me run a 10 in clutch . Its been a long time ago. Check out a Taxi set up for the same year and motor as yours. That tranny is heavy I think 125 lbs,
Like the man said get the car up as high as you can and a good buddy,

ok, and what all do i need to disconnect to drop the transmission, i know i need to disconnect the rear drive shaft, but are there just some bolts on the engine and is there somthing i need to do with the shifting mechanism? i have no experience with this and am figuring it out as i go, will this be easy, just time consuming and a pain in the ***?

A time consuming pain in the butt. And heavy. If you don't have the proper tools and equipment you may be in trouble. I don't know how mechanical you are but if you're learning this might not be a beginners project for you.

i got a floor jack and im planning on getting a transmission attachment for it soon, i have been collecting tools as i need them, so what all should i need before i start this.

and the clutch needs to be changed and the place i was quoted at said it would cost around $780 or more depending on how long it really takes. im willing to put time and effort into learning and doing all that needs to be done.

and i am a little mechanically inclined, this stuff just makes sense to me as long as i get a hint here and there lol.

Sounds like you are on the right track and have the right equipment. Just look every thing over before you take it apart and pay attention to where everything goes and how it works. Make sure you have a pilot shaft (aligning tool) for the disk/ pressure plate install. Many clutch kits come with one. I would replace the pilot bushing in the end of the crank. A small chisel works good to remove it especially a cape chisel. To make things less complicated, see if you can just unbolt the shift lever and leave the shifter and linkage hooked up to the tranny. Good luck! toolmanmike

The old man and I once put straps around the tranny from inside the car, then ran a stout piece of wood across both doors (windows down)with the tranny safely dangling by the straps,. We were able to safely yank the trans out and onto the floor creeper with plywood over that was positioned underneath the car. It worked.

Get as creative as you want, either muscle it out or rube-goldberg it. but BE SAFE. Sure you can lift something that weighs the same as a tranny, but try doin it on your back with a big shifter sticking out of it and caked with grease. Its a whole 'nother ballgame at that point.

You can also pack the pilot bushing full of grease and use a soft mallet on the aligning tool to hydraulically press the bushing out. But replace that bushing no matter what. You're already in there, just do it.

I can't vouch for the car you are working on, but I just swapped a throwout on my 67 dart with a 318 and a 4 speed and it wasn't too bad once you figure out where all the bolts are. It might be easier to separate the trans from the bellhousing first and then pull the bellhousing followed by the clutch (I didn't drop the whole trans for the throwout, but I don't think it would be much more work). I need to put a new clutch in mine and that was the approach I was just thinking about. A trans jack usually makes things a lot easier. If you pull the trans from the bellhousing first though you may need to take the shifter off so it can slide back far enough.

well, my car was originally a automatic, so the opening is very small and i would not be able to unbolt the shifter until it gets dropped out. unless theres something i'm missing.

should i cut the opening bigger? i got a grinder with a cutting edge. just dont know exactly what to do about that.

When dropping the tranny out of bell housing. Be sure to slide tranny back so as not to put alot of weight on output shaft. You can bend them, and it will cause some vibration for you down the road.

the engine is originally from a 73 cuda, im pretty sure that uses a 10 1/2 clutch, but it has an "old a-body 4 speed" (thats what the other owner said) so i dont think he would downgrade but im not sure.

are phoenix clutchs good? are there any better ones that arn't too expensive?

i was looking at this one, but havent done too much research yet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-70-71-72-73-74-Plymouth-Barracuda-318-Clutch-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b135cb20QQitemZ140412046112QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1143wt_942

my bell housing looks cast, so im a little confused. what is the easiest way to tell the disk size. i want to order the clutch and stuff before i drop the transmission.

Do you have a "Clutchmasters" near you? Take out the clutch and take it and your flywheel in. They can resurface and rebuild yours better than new. If you ask for a stronger clutch they can put more or stronger springs in the pressure plate and reface your disc with different material. toolmanmike

If you don't get the tranny attachment for your floor jack get a buddy to help! havening a mopar tranny bounce off your chest sucks! It not only knocks the wind out of you it leaves a big nasy bruise on your chest! :angry7:

Your best bet is to pull the tranny and make sure you know what you have before ordering parts.I,ve done my clutch by myself,it was the most ackward,heaviest job I,ve done working on cars for 30 years.LOL.Have friend with you.As was said before,spend one and get a CenterForce clutch.:cheers:

my dad said that he thinks he can get someone from his work to do it for free, but he thinks i need specific measurements or something, should he really need anything other than the size? or is there something im missing.

Your best bet is to pull the tranny and make sure you know what you have before ordering parts.I,ve done my clutch by myself,it was the most ackward,heaviest job I,ve done working on cars for 30 years.LOL.Have friend with you.As was said before,spend one and get a CenterForce clutch.:cheers:

the thing is, I mostly use this as a daily driver or cruiser, i dont really plan on going to the strip anytime soon, so should i really spend that much on one like that? and im a kid that works at a pizza place and am about to be heading to college. lol

i was told by a trans guy that also races a lot of cars "his and other cars that he is hired to race" that for a stock or mild setup go with a LUK clutch, thats what i did on my 68 RR 383 its near stock with just a bit bigger cam, got it from PEP boys for $180 complete with lifetime warranty. Looked like a very good clutch and holds great, i don't beat the snot out of it though...

-
Back