New daily driver

-
Dude you rock! Does that trans have a lock up converter? Is the converter neutral balance? Sounds like it will bolt right up to the new 5.9 magnum.

Yes, it's a lock up and yes, it'll be neutrally balanced being behind an LA 318 in the truck already. With the power and the torque of a stock 360 Magnum, you won't break the trans.

I'd do what I normally do with a trans in a daily driver: flush it, adjust the bands, change the filter, and go.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions. You've been very helpful. I have a b&m quicksilver ratchet shifter to use . Can I just use the shift arm for the 727 and the ratio will work?

That I can't answer.

took a while but finally i stumped ya. lol.

is adjusting the bands very difficult? if the pans off while changing the filter wont i be right there anyways? or do you have to drop the valve body? the trans shifted firmly when i drove it home.

the mag motor will be getting headers, mild cam shaft and eddy air gap intake with 650 carb. might get lucky and hit 300hp level.

Use your head. Things improve as they progress, generally. The A999 was the best of the factory 904 based transmissions. In some cases though, such as in a really light vehicle, the extra low first gear is not desirable as it can actually be too much, but that's easily solved if you don't want it. You shouldn't be so quick to condemn something that you don't know about.

took a while but finally i stumped ya. lol.

is adjusting the bands very difficult? if the pans off while changing the filter wont i be right there anyways? or do you have to drop the valve body? the trans shifted firmly when i drove it home.

the mag motor will be getting headers, mild cam shaft and eddy air gap intake with 650 carb. might get lucky and hit 300hp level.

Adjusting the bands is the same as adjusting the bands as any A series automatic. One adjustment is external, the other is internal.

Use your head. Things improve as they progress, generally. The A999 was the best of the factory 904 based transmissions. In some cases though, such as in a really light vehicle, the extra low first gear is not desirable as it can actually be too much, but that's easily solved if you don't want it. You shouldn't be so quick to condemn something that you don't know about.

I have never dealt with anything other then the 727 and never played with a late model. I'm eager to learn and was only leaning toward the 904 because I had one ready to go but now that I know the a500 is an able trans I'm gonna run it

I have never dealt with anything other then the 727 and never played with a late model. I'm eager to learn and was only leaning toward the 904 because I had one ready to go but now that I know the a500 is an able trans I'm gonna run it

You should get the ATSG Service Group book on the Torqueflite. Probably the best book out there.

Also, the A500 requires SIGNIFICANT floor pan and transmission cross member modification and requires a custom made mount. It AINT'T a bolt in swap. Just food for thought.

You should get the ATSG Service Group book on the Torqueflite. Probably the best book out there.

Also, the A500 requires SIGNIFICANT floor pan and transmission cross member modification and requires a custom made mount. It AINT'T a bolt in swap. Just food for thought.

the trans is already in the truck. its a dakota. its either the 518 or a500. gotta crawl under and have a look at what i got in there. just trying to get a game plan together about what i will need and what i already have. trying to do this all on the cheap. would like to be into the whole truck for less then 2500 if at all possible.

the trans is already in the truck. its a dakota. its either the 518 or a500. gotta crawl under and have a look at what i got in there. just trying to get a game plan together about what i will need and what i already have. trying to do this all on the cheap. would like to be into the whole truck for less then 2500 if at all possible.

Oh ok. I knew that in the beginning, but somehow was thinkin A body now. duhhhh

dont worry man. its all new to me. lol i had no idea i could even still use the dang thing. you guys have been very helpful. i think this swap is going to actually be pretty damn easy if i keep the trans in place and just pull the engine. drop in the 5.9 and bolt it back up. i wonder if the motor mounts are going to just bolt right up?

When I had my Dakota, I used Dakota-Durango.com for a lot of information. I still pop in there every once in a while because I still have a Durango. Good bunch of people there, just like here.

j

Rob, you had me scratchin' my head on that one. lol

i was thinking about that too but have no clue where to begin with the wiring. i want simplicity so think im gonna stick with carb. summit has hooker supercomp headers for 200 bucks. do the mag heads have same exhaust port as the LA heads?

Any 1992-95 V8 Dak will have the right wiring for a Magnum swap...take the whole harness, ECU, etc. The stock EFI might work if you swap to brain & injectors from a truck (pickup/van) with a TBI 360.

Also: you do NOT haqve an electronic transmission! You have an A-518, aka 46RH...the ONLY thing not 100% mechanical is the OD and lockup, which is one wire! (Weird fact: Daks used the RH trans until 1995!) And yes, you probably DO have the big trans...only the V6 Daks got the A-500/44RH.

The trans type (and axle ratio, FYI) should be on the info tag under the hood.

Lots of good ideas and info guys. I have only had the rig for 3 days. I will check the compression and look into the oil pressure at cruise. Was just thinking out loud and looking for outside perspective.

As for the trans. Can I just unhook the overdrive and put it on a toggle switch if I indeed keep it? I already have a 904 ready to go on the shelf

Absolutely yes! That's how most people with OD swaps in Mopar musclecars did it. (Honestly, the stock switch might even work.)

So it is a good trans? Will it take some abuse ? Sounds like things are getting easier and easier. Found a solid running 5.9 for $450. Hear it run and pull it outta a rear ended Dakota. Can you use a aftermarket floor shifter with the a500? Would like to get ride of column shift and linkage for header clearance

Plenty of header clearance with the stock setup.

Note: the 1992-3 318 Dak had the BEST exhaust manifolds Chrysler has EVER used!

Plenty of header clearance with the stock setup.

Note: the 1992-3 318 Dak had the BEST exhaust manifolds Chrysler has EVER used!

any input on headers for the 91? I cant seem to find anything that shows as compatable with the 91. I seen the shortys that say they fit 96 and the hookers for like 200 bucks that say they fit the 70s pickups.

Nice score on the truck! The one newer Mopar body style,I would own. Best of luck.

Nice score on the truck! The one newer Mopar body style,I would own. Best of luck.

thanks bud. saturday im heading out to get the mag motor. i purchased a airgap magnum intake here on the site. the cam i got from you is goin in this motor as well. gonna call hughes and order springs,retainers,locks and seals for the heads too. gonna be pulling the heads and swapping in the steel shim gaskets to give it a light bump in compression. should also help make up for a little bit of the smaller base circle for cam regrind. this thing is gonna go 12s. ha ha ha ha

this is a complete budget build. i am not going to spend more then $2500 on the entire build. i got the truck for free so that is a huge bonus. cant beat a 2500 truck that will be one hell of a sleeper.

also got a deal lined up for a set of dakota rt wheels.

while waiting for parts to get here i couldnt resist the urge to crawl under it and yank the trailer hitch. this thing is never gonna be hauling anything but ***. while under there i pulled the heavy *** bracket that the old spare tire mounted to. has a little cable wench deal too. dropped over 65lbs off the *** end.

-
Back