New daily driver

-
I did look: Magnum engines DO NOT use an AIR pump. Ergo: for AIR pump delete, grab Magnum accessories and brackets. (Note that AFAIK, Dakotas used the same accessories-except, MAYBE, the water pump-on 318's and V6's!)

i think my 91 has the 6 groove pulleys. the magnum went to 7 groove so i would have to swap power steering pumps too. i wonder if its just a matter of swapping pump and reinstalling the hoses? i have been gathering parts lately. got the heads at the shop getting valve job done and springs, locks, seals and retainers intstalled. i know these heads crack and its not wise to spend money on em but they only charged me $200 to dissasemble and hot tank em. valve job and reassemble. if i blow this motor up i can use these heads over again on another short block.

I'll count tomorrow, but I think my Dak DOES use a 7-groove.

Of course...you could always use a 6-groove belt on a 7-groove pump.

If you don't know, Dayco's part number tells you a lot: it's three numbers, a letter, then a number. The listing for a 5.2 Dakota is 975K7...that is a 97.5" belt, with 7 ribs. (So yes, it looks like you're correct.)

But this helps you...because to use the Magnum PS pump with 6-rib pulleys, you simply need a Dayco 975K6.

I'll count tomorrow, but I think my Dak DOES use a 7-groove.

Of course...you could always use a 6-groove belt on a 7-groove pump.

If you don't know, Dayco's part number tells you a lot: it's three numbers, a letter, then a number. The listing for a 5.2 Dakota is 975K7...that is a 97.5" belt, with 7 ribs. (So yes, it looks like you're correct.)

But this helps you...because to use the Magnum PS pump with 6-rib pulleys, you simply need a Dayco 975K6.

Will that track straight? It won't skip around?

As long as the pulleys line up...sure, why wouldn't it work?

dont know. thats why i was asking lol. i have looked at the magnum set up in very close detail. i hate how the alternator is right in the center up above the intake. i might just go to the magnum set up but modify the alternator location to the lower left like the old school set up.

i think my 91 has the 6 groove pulleys. the magnum went to 7 groove so i would have to swap power steering pumps too. i wonder if its just a matter of swapping pump and reinstalling the hoses? i have been gathering parts lately. got the heads at the shop getting valve job done and springs, locks, seals and retainers intstalled. i know these heads crack and its not wise to spend money on em but they only charged me $200 to dissasemble and hot tank em. valve job and reassemble. if i blow this motor up i can use these heads over again on another short block.

can the pullys be swapped?

dont know. thats why i was asking lol. i have looked at the magnum set up in very close detail. i hate how the alternator is right in the center up above the intake. i might just go to the magnum set up but modify the alternator location to the lower left like the old school set up.

No, that's a good thing: it keeps the alternator off the frame rails (the old setup may not clear), it keeps it out of road spray (so it lasts longer & the connections do not corrode), and it also gives it a continuous supply of air from the fan, so it runs cooler. As I have pointed out (several times) to a Chevy dude I work with, "Extra Care in Engineering" was NOT just a slogan! It's the little things, sometimes...stuff as small as locating the coil where it also gets air from the fan to make it run cooler, or numbering the plug wires, or the wire clips that snap onto the valve cover studs, or even something like the top idler pulley having a replaceable bearing.

-
Back