New door jamb switch doesn't match

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

Gotta problem here. My original door jamb switch for the passenger side is broken. It is the 2 wire style. I went to Napa and got a new one but when I tried to install it, the threads were smaller than my original so it won't screw in.

I tried Kragen and it was the same size as Napa's.I looked under Dart, Scamp, Duster, etc. and was the same one that is too small!

Has anyone else had this problem or know the correct part to get? Thanks!

Attachments

• doorswitch.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 824
Try Standard #DS-173 or NAPA Echlin #DJ-6402. You'll have to put a bullet style terminal on the end of the wire rather than the spade terminal that's presently there.

Thanks for the suggestions. My original has two wires but looks like the bullet connector has only one wire. I looked online and found that autozone used to have one that looks like the right size but it isn't stocked and can't be ordered.

The Duralast part number is SW332. Is there a way to cross reference this number with other brands?

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    5.2 KB · Views: 885
My Duster took the larger switch also. If you search the forums you should be able to find the thread where I was asking the same question you are and somebody chimed in on a seller of new switches. I could not find the large switch from any major seller, I had to buy them from a specialty seller. If I was home I would dig out the receipt and post who I got them from........

Thanks guys.

1970Duster, I used that part number and searched online and saw a few places that have it. The OEM chrysler parts website has it for under $5! I'll check with the dealer to see if they still have it by any chance.

The one from R/T Specialties says it is 3/8". That is the smaller size. If you need the bigger one, it is 1/2"

I got one last year at Autozone. They didn't show the 1/2" size for anything Mopar, but they used them in 80's or 90's Chevy vans as well.

If I can find the box, I'll post the number.

Thanks. I will measure the threads. It's confusing because on Rosevillmoparts website, they don't list the size. It just says large hole or small hole:

#4373185 SWITCH-DOOR PILLAR 66-94 Large hole

#4687214 SWITCH-DOOR PILLAR 66-78 SMALL HOLE

The R/T store has the #4373185 one but it says 3/8" so maybe it's a typo?

DCluley, Yeah I was sure autozone had one somewhere that was used on another car! If you find the box let me know. Thanks

One sure way to fid out......Get a 3/8" fine thread bolt and see if it will thread into the hole.

To find the 1/2" thread switch, search for 78-96 Chevy Van.

Autozone part # sw109 made by Wells

RockAuto - #1S1086 seems to be the same Wells part or ACDelco #6031

If your near a yard. Take your old one to the junk yard and compare it to others, especially in the van and truck section. Check both doors and rear VAN (Dodge) doors on domestics. I've had lots of luck.

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried the one for the newer van. It fit the threads but ended up being too long and was pushing on the door. I found some old ones on ebay so I will give them a try.

Another weird thing is that the original old switch already in there started working with only one wire connected to it. Wonder why they used two wires?? I had to tape it since the plastic was cracking. So will put a good one in as soon as it gets here.

Not sure about '72, but looking in the '74 FSM the second wire goes through the ignition switch to the seat belt buzzer. My buzzer doesn't work, but I think this is supposed to buzz when you open the door with the ignition still on.

Interesting that the new ones were too long, maybe there's a difference between the 2 door and 4 doors?

I took all of the above information and went on a search for door switches.
First - Duralast SW332 is no longer made and is listed so in their system. They do have SW107 which is the same as Borg Warner S1024. This is what I used (pic) because it accepts the pins from the Molex connectors, which as we all know I have an abundance of.
While I was at O Reillys There were a couple of other BW switches that have 1/2"-20 threads. They are S972, S1054. choose your connector style, $6 ea have fun.
Andrew

Attachments

• jamb switch.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 547
-
Back