New drag car- Beware not mopar

-
All I can say is clean that thing up and have fun. Anybody that puts a mopar drivetrain into anything has my vote.Looking for some update pictures. :glasses4:

I start chubbin up just thinking about it.
Very nice!!!

fal9.jpg

GDR-00237.jpg

Are you planning on flipping the rear right side up or using the stock leaf spring pads somehow? It looks as if the rear could spin with just the u bolts holding it. Your brakes would also be upside down with the wheel cylinders on the bottom.

This will be a cool one! Good luck with it, don't let anyone tell you not to do it. You're doing something interesting by putting mopar into a different brand. Did it come with anything for a front clip? How about a K member?

actaully i had a k-member in there, but it just wasn't going to work, mainly becasue of the torsion bars, and also it was really heavy

Kewl project,just make sure it's safe,beat on them framerails with a hammer make sure.other than that have a ball!!!!!!!

None Mopar burning my eyes. NOOO! Im blind now.

Just kidding ya. LOL

Looks like a tough but fun build. Keep us up dated. This is sounding like it is going to be a very interesting build. Good luck!

It looks as if the rear could spin with just the u bolts holding it.

I see no problems using leaf springs. I do think you need to cut off the spring pads from their current location, and move them inboard, and weld them onto the axle under the leaf spring location. This will keep the housing itself from spinning. Solid mount the front, no shackles, and run a shackle, even an extended one in the rear for nostalgia

If you decide to go with the 4 link, you will need to weld the axle brackets on the axle, and have a solid cross bar in the front, both upper and lower, for the 4 link bars to attach to. Even if you do not have a cross tube now, it would not be hard to fabricate one, especially with the open are of the floor boards now.
Here is a shot on a 4wd....Yours should run parallel to each other if memory serves, instead of the staggered look, but you get the idea.
4link13.jpg

Great Project.....Keep it simple and have fun with it.....
Love the Power train plans.... Rite up my alley..
And Keep us posted and lots of Pictures please....

8)

Its not the worst shape car that I've seen, but you got to look at the potentional like victory273 and I did when we seen that car he found sitting in the trees with the help from some friends you will be suprised of what you will accomplish

Most people that gigged your car would praise it. Great lines and lightweight. But this is to a bastard car so you can't get in a hurry. The parts just aren't there to make it easy. Cool project. Good luck. I use to have a 48 Hillman that I planed on putting a 383 in. But plans sometimes go amiss.

Most people that gigged your car would praise it. Great lines and lightweight. But this is to a bastard car so you can't get in a hurry. The parts just aren't there to make it easy. Cool project. Good luck. I use to have a 48 Hillman that I planed on putting a 383 in that ran 10's in a RR. But plans sometimes go amiss.

i think the best solution might be to cut that tube chassis loose,and stick it under a valiant or dart.

My friend in Defiance,Ohio raced one with a straight axle,427 side oiler and 4 speed back in the 60's.Way cool project,I'd go nostalgic with the safety upgrades.I started my 48 Austin A-40 with something similar,keep your eye on the prize:cheers:

hey,

she's coming slow, but i dropped her on the ground the other day and it was sky high, just wonding what you guys thought of 4-link or a ladder bar kit? would it work?

thanks

Enjoy your project.... Looks like allot of fun ahead for you.. I am working on a 65 dart with a 440,727 and 8 3/4 that no one would give me a 1000 for it.. Now that I have done some work to it I would not sell it...

well i got come more pics, i know i promised you guys a mopar drive train but i just couldn't afford it as my 440 needs everything. So i just threw my running big block 455 in it with a turbo 400 tranny. It still has the 8 3/4 rear.

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

-
Back