New guy with newly purchased 71 Demon, needs help...

-

Steve Mcbean

Reaction score
Hey, Fellas. I've been reading your educational posts for some time, and am now a proud owner of a well done 71 Demon. The car is 99% straight, with a 318 motor. The car was originally a 6 cylinder color green, then later beautifully painted PCP. They did a great job restoring this car. No rust anywhere, all metal, but the original owner tried painting the blue 318 motor orange, and the orange paint is peeling off. The motor is a rebuilt LA 67-75 318 CI with 6K miles. Rear end is 7.25, tranny 904 Torqueflite. Runs fine, but has a few small issues I'm hoping you guys can help with. I'm only gonna start with one today.

1. The 3 spd wiper motor doesn't work. Where can one buy one? Are there any compatibles?

Thanks for your wisdom, and thanks for having me.View attachment 1715478058
20200207_141025.jpg
20200207_140757 (1).jpg

20200207_140828 (1).jpg

20200207_140840 (1).jpg

20200207_140637_pe.png

From what I've read those 3 speed motors are rare as hens teeth and expensive as all get out. You might be better off having that one rebuilt.
Beautiful ride by the way....love to see more pics....and welcome to fabo.

From what I've read those 3 speed motors are rare as hens teeth and expensive as all get out. You might be better off having that one rebuilt.
Beautiful ride by the way....love to see more pics....and welcome to fabo.

Thanks. I don't know anyone round here that does motor rebuilding. Anyone reputable, that is.

Welcome! Beautiful ride! Sorry, I cannot offer anything on the wiper motor.

Beautiful ride! Hit the search button, I typed in "windshield wiper motor" and a thread about a 65 dart came up, looked like a couple names where given. Look for slantsixdan's post. Good luck:thumbsup:

Beautiful ride! Hit the search button, I typed in "windshield wiper motor" and a thread about a 65 dart came up, looked like a couple names where given. Look for slantsixdan's post. Good luck:thumbsup:

I did the same thing, but couldn't find a 3 speed for a 1971. A 65 doesn't fit. I found a couple online, but they want almost 400 for one. Even Autozone said they have one for $89, but the photo doesn't look the same, and the description doesn't mention that it would be compatible even though it's newer. I'm hoping someone here knows whether other years or newer models will work or not.

Hi Steve, I know that I'm not a lot of help but maybe place a " wanted" ad. There are alot of guys here that have all kinds of parts. Best of luck.

Aftermarket instrument panel plastic? If so, is the wiper switch chassis grounded? Is it the correct or original switch? If not, is it wired correctly?
If you have properly diagnosed and confirmed the motor is bad you should ignore my questions.

New one on ebay from mopar. 54$ shipping included. Cant beat that unless it is your wiring. My bad, was just the arm i think.

Last edited:
The motor is likely good. but the internal switching mechanism may be dirty, or the brushes could be stuck. Since it's no good to you as it is, why not just dig into it.... What's the worst that can happen?

^ No fuse in the wiper circuit, it's a built in circuit breaker in the switch. I'd bet on the switch ground like RedFish said.

The motor is likely good. but the internal switching mechanism may be dirty, or the brushes could be stuck. Since it's no good to you as it is, why not just dig into it.... What's the worst that can happen?
You can find the rebuild kits around they are made by prestolite. I have the books on how to clock/rebuild them if needed can scan the pages. Really pretty easy to rebuild as long as the armature is still good.

Mopar NOS 1969-73 Variable/3 Speed "Prestolite" Wiper Motor Gear Pkg 3620735 | eBay

RESTORED 3 SPEED WIPER MOTOR 71/72/73/74 dart/duster/valiant/demon NO NUMBERS | eBay

Just exapmles

Last edited:
Even if you do find one you want to coin up for the job itself is not fun. The three bolts on the firewall are not an issue but IIRC getting the one inside that connects the arms is challenging to remove and 2x's that to reinstall.. I think you have to get it from inside & under the dash. Having only ever done it once I may be remembering it wrong, I am sure someone will correct me if I am.
Advance auto?? Did you check the fuse? Nice ride!

View attachment 1715478297
thats a 2 spd.

did you say new guy? :wtf: :D
20200207_140757-1-jpg.jpg

Well I'll be damned. Guess they are hard to find for cheap. Probably have 6 of em in the shed but not sure what speeds they are. I never go used but was trying to help. They do come apart easy but yea, pain from the inside with a radio in there. I'd never be driving that in the rain anyhow. Good luck. Someone will hook you up here. Thats what the sites for.

Welcome to FABO, looks like you are on the right track for getting the wiper motor etc. figured out.
Nice looking car BTW!

Well I'll be damned. Guess they are hard to find for cheap. Probably have 6 of em in the shed but not sure what speeds they are. I never go used but was trying to help. They do come apart easy but yea, pain from the inside with a radio in there. I'd never be driving that in the rain anyhow. Good luck. Someone will hook you up here. Thats what the sites for.

You got one that looks like this?

IMG_5191 (1).JPG

Steve 1st off BEWARE of Kim at Passion.
Stay away...Google her name and see what comes up, not good. Website below.
Welcome to Passion4Mopars - Because Mopars Are My Passion Too
Your wiper motor and wiper switch must match. 3spd motor>3spd switch, same goes for 2 spd. Post the wiper motor #, I may have one, but will need gone thru.
Nice looking ride, you can post more pics of her here :poke:
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/hot-mopar-babes-ii.275027/page-331

My motor has no numbers. Here it is. I assume I might as well fork over the clams, but what I hear from some of the guys here, is it's difficult to install. Oh, one more thing. The switch appears to be only a two speed, two positions, and can find where to find the switch replacement with pigtail.

IMG_5191 (1).JPG

-
Back