New heads/intake/rear end

-

MB43

Reaction score
I've found that I have more cash available than I thought I did. So the budget for this year will include line items for new heads, a new intake and probably a new rear end.

Here's the specs on the motor: http://www.burwoodboysracing.com/about_the_car.htm. I haven't updated that in a while, that cam is out and a Lunati Voodoo 234/242 @ .050 .513/.533 lift cam is in it's place.

I've been drooling over the Indy head package - their aluminum heads, with rockers, shafts, pushrods, intake, etc for a couple of months. Is anybody running that? Would it be that much better than the Edelbrock RPM heads?

The rear I've got now is an 8-1/4 with 3.91 gears. I'd like to put in a rear that is basically bulletproof, so I'm guessing that means a Dana 60 or a Strange D60. A friend of mine, who's known locally for building rock-solid rears offered to build me an 8.8 for around $1500 (includes everything but brakes).

Make some suggestions here people... heads, intake, rear. Keep in mind that I'm cheap so I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

I would start with the rear. Danas cant be killed but its gonna cost you more then the 8.8 will.

Heads would be second. I dont know much about the Indys. I would talk to Ryan Johnson and see what he recommends. He knows his small block heads.

Intake would depend on the gearing of the new rear and what heads you get. If you get the indy heads they have a matching intake.

You can build a Spooled Dana for around 1200 with some frugal shopping.

For a little more than the 1500 you can also get a Strange or Moser Dana 60.

Call this guy, Cass, and ask if you can get one without the snubber provision. Might save a few bucks. http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/dana.html

I would start with the rear. Danas cant be killed but its gonna cost you more then the 8.8 will.[/quote[

How reliable is the 8.8?

Heads would be second. I dont know much about the Indys. I would talk to Ryan Johnson and see what he recommends. He knows his small block heads.

Intake would depend on the gearing of the new rear and what heads you get. If you get the indy heads they have a matching intake.

Well, I'm looking for suggestions here... what gearing? Put together a decent package in your head and then let it flow out your fingers into a post here.

Suggest:

Gearing
Heads
Intake

Keep in mind that this motor won't run on the street, only the track.

10 shocks , I hope this helps NICK. The torque converter is 5000 PTC. noNOS lol
[/IMG]
Scan0003.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
000_0130.jpg
[/IMG]
dyno414.jpg
[/IMG]

so are you going to try to get rid of this rear? if so let me know, im looking for one with 3.91 gears, is it a sure grip?

If I get another rear, then yes, I'll be looking to sell this one. It's an 8-1/4, with Precision Gear 3.91's and a Dana Spicer Trac-Lock.

8.75 mopar rear chunk, 4.30 gear with 35 spline axles, and full spool , Caltrac monoleaf w caltrac adjustable bars, the rear chassis is stock with the exeption of removing a little bit of the wheel opening in front of the tire the rear tire is a 30x9 on a 10 in. rim with a 4.5 back space. front is a stock K member and suspention with a little tweaking and 90/10 shocks , I hope this helps NICK. The torque converter is 5000 PTC. noNOS lol

What's it run?

000_0035.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0131.jpg
[/IMG]
timeslip3-17-07.jpg
[/IMG]

the elect. water pump drive is just the simple moroso belt drive, you can see 1 laying on the shelf, behind the engine on the dyno.

we run the 1/4 10.52 @ 127 mph.

the car weighs 3250

I've found that I have more cash available than I thought I did. So the budget for this year will include line items for new heads, a new intake and probably a new rear end.

Here's the specs on the motor: http://www.burwoodboysracing.com/about_the_car.htm. I haven't updated that in a while, that cam is out and a Lunati Voodoo 234/242 @ .050 .513/.533 lift cam is in it's place.

I've been drooling over the Indy head package - their aluminum heads, with rockers, shafts, pushrods, intake, etc for a couple of months. Is anybody running that? Would it be that much better than the Edelbrock RPM heads?

With that cam, I wouldn't move to new heads. Even more so with the Indy's. That's not alot of cam. If your X's are ported right, then the Edelbrocks are a move downward as well.There only equal to well pocket ported irons.

If this were my set up, I'd be looking into a roller cam set up. .600 lift. Further more, a MoPar race single M-1. Combined with a lightly milled head.

Good luck Mike.

I guess the real question should be how fast do you want to go??..if i were you i'd put more compression in it,that cam is just fine i'm a big fan of Voodoo cams,i'm running my second in my stroker now,Edelbrocks with a good port/polish should work well,seeing as its a track only car an Edelbrock victor 340 should work,as far as a rearend seeing as its a fairly light a-body a good preped 8 3/4 with 4.30's should be fine,theres guys running 9's with leafsprings cars using them,but if your heart is set on a dana you can't go wrong...

@rumblefish - I don't know how these heads are ported, and I've never had them flowed. I just changed the cam last winter, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to do that again. This one is really too small to be useful?

@340srule - How fast do I want to go? As fast as possible for as little money as possible. LOL! Seriously, I'd like to be able to run high 11s consistently. Like in the 11.80-11.90 range. I'd be more than happy with that. I don't have my "heart set" on anything, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. If that's a Dana, then it's a Dana. If it's an 8.8, then it's an 8.8. Doesn't matter to me. I just don't want to have to replace it in a couple of years, I'd like something that'll last.

The best this car has gone has been a 12.21, that was with open headers. With the exhaust on it's about 2 tenths slower.

@GTXperience: I've got a Moroso electric water pump on my motor (way old picture):

P1011000.jpg

Go with the Dana, You will never regret it and it cant be killed. The 8-3/4 wont last long when you decide you want a trans brake.

with a 29" tire and a small block I would be looking a 456 or 488 gears.

Since its a strip only car I would look for a head will the smallest combustion chamber possible. Get the compression up.

Single Plane intake. M1, Victor or Super Victor.

Dont worry about the cam being small right now.

Go with the Dana, You will never regret it and it cant be killed. The 8-3/4 wont last long when you decide you want a trans brake.

Transbrake? No, not me. I like racing off my foot.

with a 29" tire and a small block I would be looking a 456 or 488 gears.

Since its a strip only car I would look for a head will the smallest combustion chamber possible. Get the compression up.

Such as? Edelbrocks? Magnums? Commandos? Indy?

Single Plane intake. M1, Victor or Super Victor.

Dont worry about the cam being small right now.

Ok by me.

I just looked they all seem to be the same size chamber. Commandos are the smallest as 60cc and have great potential when ported.

Indy makes 2 heads. Oval port for small cube motors and rectangular for strokers. So if the indys are what you want you can go with the oval port and matching intake.

I though there were a few heads that were in the 58cc range but I dont see any listed. You can all ways mill a set of heads to bring the compression up.

Go with the Dana, You will never regret it and it cant be killed

They sure can i saw one grenade down at e-town last seaon,and the engine in the car was'nt all that serious either...

Then it wasnt built very well. 8-3/4s split caps and chip ring gears and theres nothing you can do to stop it.

I just looked they all seem to be the same size chamber. Commandos are the smallest as 60cc and have great potential when ported.

Indy makes 2 heads. Oval port for small cube motors and rectangular for strokers. So if the indys are what you want you can go with the oval port and matching intake.

I though there were a few heads that were in the 58cc range but I dont see any listed. You can all ways mill a set of heads to bring the compression up.

What about the Magnums? I thought they were like 55cc's?

62 or 64cc. All the after market stuff are between 60 and 65ccs

Ah, ok.

So it seems like I'm going with a Dana for the rear for the durability.

For the heads... you're saying that the Indy oval ports would be ok, but Rumble says to stick with what I've got and go with a bigger cam?

You could go that way to. I figure your going to end up wanting to upgrade the short block in a few years, Get the heads now, Your going to change the cam when you do the short block anyways.

Ah, ok.

So it seems like I'm going with a Dana for the rear for the durability.

For the heads... you're saying that the Indy oval ports would be ok, but Rumble says to stick with what I've got and go with a bigger cam?

I made that comment from a stand point of thinking the heads were fully ported.

I also want to say I didn't think I'd read someone in the 12's with the Crane you ran at one point. I think you made the most of that cam. Nice work Mike.

On the Voo-Doo cam, it's still on the small side IMO. Not that it can't make power, but the goal of high 11's IMO would require a heftier cam.

On heads, If your not going to fullu port the X head, which I beileve would be cheaper, MoPar has the Comando head. It'll use standard rockers and will port out very well. Better than the X head or Edelbrocks.

The LP comando or Indy head is alot of head for a 360 engine.

-
Back