New heads/intake/rear end

-
He's running 12.20s now with a small cam, 391 gears and a 29" tall tire and a set of X heads that most likely arent ported much. Im sure he can get 3 tenths out of a set of heads and more gear.

Probably so, never the less, it was just my opion that more cam would do it. He's looking for .30 - .40 second increase. If he gets into the heads more, depending on where there at now, he should use more cam to go along with it or there will be more head than the combo is worth.

In example;
No sense in porting the head to .650 if he is only going to use 513/.533 lift.
No sense useing a cam with .600 lift if the head stalls @ .500

Mike, can you clear this up for me? Is this correct? Am I close to this being correct?

You did have the split Crane in there and it was swapped out for the lunati 292/.480?

234/242 is the current or sought after duration of the current/next cam vs the old/current cam a Lunati 292/.480?

I agree that he could use more cam but his is new. I would put a set of heads that will work if he upgrades the short block and cam later.

@rumble - I had the Crane cam (454/480 lift @ 050, 216/228 duration) in there until last winter, with that cam I ran a best of 12.21 with open headers, 12.50s through the mufflers. After I put in the Lunati 60404, which is a 513/533 lift @ 050, 234/242 duration, I ran some 12.20s and 12.30s through the mufflers. Like I said earlier, I'm sure not how much the heads I have now are ported, I've looked at them but I don't know what I'm looking at and I haven't had them flowed. I figured going with aluminum heads, which are lighter and supposedly flow better than stock heads would be a good choice.

On heads, If your not going to fullu port the X head, which I beileve would be cheaper, MoPar has the Comando head. It'll use standard rockers and will port out very well. Better than the X head or Edelbrocks.

The LP comando or Indy head is alot of head for a 360 engine.

Jeg's has the small port Commandos - bare - for $850 EACH. That's like $400 more than the Edelbrocks, which comes with springs & valves and such. Are they that much better?

I made that comment from a stand point of thinking the heads were fully ported.

I also want to say I didn't think I'd read someone in the 12's with the Crane you ran at one point. I think you made the most of that cam. Nice work Mike.

Thanks!

On heads, If your not going to fullu port the X head, which I beileve would be cheaper

Ya, I'm kinda thinking about going that route now. Do you know of anybody local who does decent work on Mopar heads?

From what I have read the small port heads arent that great especially out of the box.

The Large ports are said to be excellent especially with some work.

From what I have read the small port heads arent that great especially out of the box.

The Large ports are said to be excellent especially with some work.

You guys are killing me. :toothy10:

I guess your sold on the dana,just so you know the lighter you make your car the faster it goes,and a dana weights 50lbs more then a 8 3/4..if you were running a heavy e or b body i'd deffinately say go with the dana, but you've got a fairly light a-body using an automatic,and a 8 3/4 would serve you well,just ask the guys at the track running wheels-up in the 9's using one..As for the cam once again it will be fine,when you open up the short block in the future "stroke it"...,once you run a stroker you'll never want to build anything else...don't listen to me though,i'm just running 11.02's with a full interior full exhaust "street car",so i know nothing about running the right combination of parts..lol....

I guess your sold on the dana,just so you know the lighter you make your car the faster it goes,and a dana weights 50lbs more then a 8 3/4..if you were running a heavy e or b body i'd deffinately say go with the dana, but you've got a fairly light a-body using an automatic,and a 8 3/4 would serve you well,just ask the guys at the track running wheels-up in the 9's using one..As for the cam once again it will be fine,when you open up the short block in the future "stroke it"...,once you run a stroker you'll never want to build anything else...don't listen to me though,i'm just running 11.02's with a full interior full exhaust "street car",so i know nothing about running the right combination of parts..lol....

I'm not sold on anything, yet. I just saw the Moser MO875 which looks kinda interesting...

Ask Walter how many 8-3/4 ring gears he killed running 11.80s in his Dart or in his tube chassis K car.

It may be 50lbs heavier but its at the rear of the car. I dont know anyone that said they wish they built a 8-3/4 in stead of the Dana. If you were building a stocker were ever last lb an hundredth of a second matter then its one thing but eventually you will reach the limits of the 8-3/4s ring gear.

The Moser 8-3/4 while cool looking doesnt address the stock 8-3/4s weakness and will probably cost more then a Moser 60.

Ask Walter how many 8-3/4 ring gears he killed running 11.80s in his Dart or in his tube chassis K car.

It may be 50lbs heavier but its at the rear of the car. I dont know anyone that said they wish they built a 8-3/4 in stead of the Dana. If you were building a stocker were ever last lb an hundredth of a second matter then its one thing but eventually you will reach the limits of the 8-3/4s ring gear.

The Moser 8-3/4 while cool looking doesnt address the stock 8-3/4s weakness and will probably cost more then a Moser 60.

Obviously his 8 3/4's were'nt built right then..:-D

There is nothing you can do about the caps and ring gears, Nothing, When they start breaking your done. You will break one.

There is nothing you can do about the caps and ring gears, Nothing, When they start breaking your done. You will break one.

Ok, then, I'll go with the 9 inch. ;-)

What are your future plans ? If your planning on a high compression, big solid cam, race motor later I would be looking at either the Large Port Commandos or the Indy's. If your not planning on building an all out race motor go with the Eddys, They still have more potential then the X headsjust not as much as the indys or commando.

What are your future plans ? If your planning on a high compression, big solid cam, race motor later I would be looking at either the Large Port Commandos or the Indy's. If your not planning on building an all out race motor go with the Eddys, They still have more potential then the X headsjust not as much as the indys or commando.

I don't think this will ever be an all-out race motor. I kinda like the fact that this motor doesn't need much maintenance. All-out motors need constant TLC which I don't want to deal with.

I'm just looking to have fun with this car... Be able to pull it out, check the fluids, make sure everything is where it belonds and put it on the trailer Saturday night, hit the track Sunday and then put it back behind the fence Sunday night and not have to worry about it until the next weekend.

Of course I'd like to go faster, though. ;-)

I'd go with a pair of Edelbrocks have them ported/polished,the voodoo cam is new and will perform quite well for you,so i'd stick with it for now,as for an intake can't go wrong with a victor 340,but i myself use a Air Gap in tests its performed just as well as most single planes and better then some,and my et's have certainly proved that,if your looking to purchase a new carb the Quick fuel 850 would fit the bill just fine,mine has performed flawlessly since taking it out of the box,this combination should be pretty maintenance free too..

Jeg's has the small port Commandos - bare - for $850 EACH. That's like $400 more than the Edelbrocks, which comes with springs & valves and such. Are they that much better?

Run up to Port Jeff Chrysler for better prices. The Edelbrocks are like Pocket ported head OOTB. There a fair deal, for the price, but I really think the irons will do better for less and you'll basicly change nothing. A slight mill will raise the CR enuff.

You know what, best bet on head is a head porter. Here, there is BJRracing. He can help clear up head speak alot.

Ya, I'm kinda thinking about going that route now. Do you know of anybody local who does decent work on Mopar heads?
No. Theres some excellent shops in the Ronkonkoma area. But who does excellent work or not is beyond me. I can ask some hot rodding freinds about who does what and who's best. But it's not a lock.

On engine work, I was refurred many times to ElSasser. Being new to the county, I don't know who does what and who is good. Guess where I'm going for the short block. LOL

AdamR From what I have read the small port heads arent that great especially out of the box.

The Large port Comandos are said to be excellent especially with some work.
And Adams right. The OOTB MP heads need work, but will out perform the comp in many cases when ported. The LP Comando heads need work. There a smokin head.

Adam again below;
He's on target again!

This is where I was saying earlier, that the X heads would be cheaper to do than getting the Edelbrock heads. You'll pay less for a full porting than you would for the Edelbrock head that would need to be ported to match or exceed the X head that costed less to do.

I'd like to mention that 340srule's method of thinking isn't a bad one. Not at all. IF cost is an issue, then I would not go that route. IF you don't mind a few more bucks in porting after the Edel. head purchase, then thats fine. Like Adam and 340s rule pointed out, the Edel. head has a higher performance ceiling than a factory issued OE head.

I have a set of Edelbrocks. There on a shelf. There time will come around again. This spring I hope.

Run up to Port Jeff Chrysler for better prices. The Edelbrocks are like Pocket ported head OOTB. There a fair deal, for the price, but I really think the irons will do better for less and you'll basicly change nothing. A slight mill will raise the CR enuff.[/quopte]

These are already milled, I've had some issues with the intake not sitting right and coolant leaking into the oil in the past. So I don't think milling them some more would be a good idea.

You know what, best bet on head is a head porter. Here, there is BJRracing. He can help clear up head speak alot.

Cool, I'll PM him.

No. Theres some excellent shops in the Ronkonkoma area. But who does excellent work or not is beyond me. I can ask some hot rodding freinds about who does what and who's best. But it's not a lock.

There was a Mopar guy over there that I bought control arms from a couple of years ago. I don't think he did porting, though, mostly repairs.

On engine work, I was refurred many times to ElSasser. Being new to the county, I don't know who does what and who is good. Guess where I'm going for the short block. LOL

I've heard good and bad things about Elsasser. But I've never heard anything about them doing head porting. I'll ask around.

And Adams right. The OOTB MP heads need work, but will out perform the comp in many cases when ported. The LP Comando heads need work. There a smokin head.

This is where I was saying earlier, that the X heads would be cheaper to do than getting the Edelbrock heads. You'll pay less for a full porting than you would for the Edelbrock head that would need to be ported to match or exceed the X head that costed less to do.

I'd like to mention that 340srule's method of thinking isn't a bad one. Not at all. IF cost is an issue, then I would not go that route. IF you don't mind a few more bucks in porting after the Edel. head purchase, then thats fine. Like Adam and 340s rule pointed out, the Edel. head has a higher performance ceiling than a factory issued OE head.

Ok. I'm gonna talk to a couple of head porting guys to see what they think about going over these heads.

I was leaning more towards going with new aluminum heads for a couple of reasons... 1. Weight savings. 2. Starting off with the same chamber size as I have now, but without the sealing issues.

I've heard good and bad things about Elsasser. But I've never heard anything about them doing head porting. I'll ask around.
Enlighten me and whom would you send someone too.

I was leaning more towards going with new aluminum heads for a couple of reasons... 1. Weight savings. 2. Starting off with the same chamber size as I have now, but without the sealing issues.

Not a bad idea. How far down the hole do the pistons sit?

Are you talking about porting/polishing the iron heads you have now or going with Edelbrocks port/polished,if so your in n.j. correct??..Ryan J. whom i've heard good things about is the next state over,i bet he's busy now...

Are you talking about porting/polishing the iron heads you have now or going with Edelbrocks port/polished,if so your in n.j. correct??..Ryan J. whom i've heard good things about is the next state over,i bet he's busy now...

Is that Ryan @ Shady Dell? I sent him an e-mail about this, haven't heard back yet.

BTW, I'm on Long Island, not Jersey.

-
Back