New heads

-

Fisher69

Reaction score
Looking for some input here
72 LA 360 0.40 over stock stroke
10 to 1 pistons. Looking for a good set of "off the shelf heads"
Any ideas?

If you don't mind a valve cover for a magnum motor, a set of EQ magnum heads are the best flowing stock heads available. Search Magnum EQHeads for lots of info. They can be had with a 360 manifold bolt pattern.

Or. Indy LA-X heads. Uses la shaft rockers with magnum chamber

Please explain the 10:1 pistons. Do you have a brand and PN? Are they in the engine now? And tell us how you intend to use this engine, and the cam.

If you have pistons that are 10:1 with stock open chamber heads, then if you put on EQ's or Edelbrocks or LA-X heads with the much smaller combustion chambers, then your static compression ratio will shoot to over 11:1, and, for street use and a mild cam, your Dynamic CR will be too high and the engine will detonate.

Do you want iron heads or aluminum heads?

Last edited:
The five bolt LA valve covers fit the EQ magnum heads just fine. The vc and gasket just cover the other five holes in the head. You can get EQ's from many vendors, bare or complete. The best deal is likely the 2.02 intakes and bronze lined guides version from Hughes, as by the time you buy the 1.92 intake bare heads, valves, springs, etc, and pay to have the guides sized and seats cut it'll be about the same cost yet have the smaller intake valves(or more if you go with bigger).

Last edited:
I know a Lot of people are gonna throw a fit, but a year ago I bought a set of reman AEROHEADS from indy. 360 castings, spent the extra $50 for 2.02 intakes. They were delivered to my door for $600. I disassembled them, to check them over. They came fully assembled, looked new, bronze guides, retainer tops cut for hi lift cam. They've been run hard over a year and I'd definitely buy another set. Hear a lot of horror stories, but these heads seemed to be decent quality and I don't know of a machine shop anywhere that would perform the work they did, plus deliver for $600. I'd buy them again. Only issue was some mild blending where they cut in the int, valves. No biggie though

Got a set of Indy LA-X heads here. These will go fast out of the box as well as any iron head w/closed chambers for your app. We changed locks to machined and gasket matched and slight cleanup. Added some PRW SS Roller Rockers shaft mount. Just breaking it all in but she's going to fly!

Marion

I know a Lot of people are gonna throw a fit, but a year ago I bought a set of reman AEROHEADS from indy. 360 castings, spent the extra $50 for 2.02 intakes. They were delivered to my door for $600. I disassembled them, to check them over. They came fully assembled, looked new, bronze guides, retainer tops cut for hi lift cam. They've been run hard over a year and I'd definitely buy another set. Hear a lot of horror stories, but these heads seemed to be decent quality and I don't know of a machine shop anywhere that would perform the work they did, plus deliver for $600. I'd buy them again. Only issue was some mild blending where they cut in the int, valves. No biggie though
Every head that leaves indy/aeroheads shop needs a bowl blend because there's a very shallow and unsteep throat cut. The heads I had brought me by customer went on my bench and flowed a whopping 213 cfm @.450 and then went 198-203 after that.

Last edited:
Every head that leaves indy/aeroheads shop needs a bowl blend because there's a very shallow and unsteep throat cut. The heads I had brought me by customer went on my bench and flowed a whopping 213 cfm @.450 and then went 201-203 after that.

Didn't they list the heads as basically a "Rebuilt" head with a 2.02 available upgrade?
For myself, a stock head flows in that area as I have constantly read. Which isn't bad for "In General" performance on the street.

Have you closed those (actual or like) heads after you have bowl ported them? Im wondering what you have found cfm wise.

Yeah they're basically just a rebuilt head with some upgrades available at a decent price. They're no race head, but I was just looking for a mild street head. You can't hardly get a valve job done around here for $500. Then add bronze guides, resurfacing that actually resulted in a flat surface, New stainless valves, hardened locks,retainers, and a valve job that sealed, installed height was spot on, try to find all that work at a local machine shop for $550. I didn't flow tbem, dyno motor, etc. I just wanted a fun reliable motor, so whatever it makes is what it is. I did gasket match ports, and blend the bowls. Moparofficial, any thoughts why it flowed less after you cleaned them up? Just curious if I should of left them alone. And YES their salesman was an idiot, but I wanted a set of heads,not a sweet talking telephone operator.even the $60 shipping seemed fair. I must be one of the lucky ones, but for my mild 360, I love them

stock heads are fine and with a performance valve job will support 400 hp if you can find a decent set not requiring a lot of work.
For the street build it to about 340 - 350 hp and 400 ft. lb.That is plenty in an A body.

Didn't they list the heads as basically a "Rebuilt" head with a 2.02 available upgrade?
For myself, a stock head flows in that area as I have constantly read. Which isn't bad for "In General" performance on the street.

Have you flowed those (actual or like) heads after you have bowl ported them? Im wondering what you have found cfm wise.

Yes and without the throat cut ...it was more work. I only worked the bowls and short turn, 246 cfm and they saturated at .550. It wasn't any sort of full effort deal, trade work, 2.02 3/8 stem stainless tulip valves. The exhaust went 192 cfm. Good deal for a set of heads and if you can port... you can have ootb eddy flow in a little smaller intake port. Street cruiser stuff.

Last edited:
stock heads are fine and with a performance valve job will support 400 hp if you can find a decent set not requiring a lot of work.
For the street build it to about 340 - 350 hp and 400 ft. lb.That is plenty in an A body.
This is true, 340/360 with 284 degree .500 lift cam, 2.02 x,j,587 etc..cheapo headers, hi rise dual plane, 750 carb, 9.5 -10.1comp will make about/around 400 hp

Last edited:
Yeah they're basically just a rebuilt head with some upgrades available at a decent price. They're no race head, but I was just looking for a mild street head. You can't hardly get a valve job done around here for $500. Then add bronze guides, resurfacing that actually resulted in a flat surface, New stainless valves, hardened locks,retainers, and a valve job that sealed, installed height was spot on, try to find all that work at a local machine shop for $550. I didn't flow tbem, dyno motor, etc. I just wanted a fun reliable motor, so whatever it makes is what it is. I did gasket match ports, and blend the bowls. Moparofficial, any thoughts why it flowed less after you cleaned them up? Just curious if I should of left them alone. And YES their salesman was an idiot, but I wanted a set of heads,not a sweet talking telephone operator.even the $60 shipping seemed fair. I must be one of the lucky ones, but for my mild 360, I love them

The factory heads back up whether you grind them or not. I simply flowed them as they came from indy...then I simply worked the bowls and short turn, no guide, no roof, no straight wall, no port window and got 246 cfm. I wish the throat cut were better, but it's "a deal".

-
Back