New Member - 1967 Barracuda Fastback Drag Car

-
Love the Flying fish or barracuda drag car. Great pics you loaded up in your gallery!

Made my second trip to the drag strip. It was much more fun this time. Track was cold (50 degree air temp), so traction a little off. I made 6 passes. Lots of mistakes, but that is what practice is about eliminating. Finally got my runs down around 10.8 ET. I was still lifting before the finish line as I was unsure on my ET's (without a NHRA license, I can not go under 10 or they told me they will throw me out of the track).

Think that is the end of drag racing for this year. Time to get the snowmobiles out!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC06497.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 240
Welcome to FABO. Nice Cuda, is it originally a big block car? And that's a cool convert!

Do not think is was. The car was bought without an engine by the builder. Guess I could check the build info tag. I have not done that yet. Actually not sure it has the tags. Am traveling now so will check when back

Ma Snart

Isn't your car the Mopar Muscle project car "B3 bomber"? #9298?

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0610_1967_plymouth_barracuda/index.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0707_mopar_rearend_replacement/photo_01.html

0707_mopp_01_z+mopar_rearend_replacement+project_b3.jpg

Yes it is.

I bought the car last September from Dave Young, the Technical Editor for Mopar Muscle magazine. Dave built the car and both engines that have been in the car. He also raced it and taught his wife to bracket race in it.

I started looking for a 2nd generation Barracuda drag car about three years ago. About one year into the search I bought some back issues of Mopar Muscle and ran across the B3 articles. I study them very closely and learned a lot about how to build a cost effective, reliable, fast, and consistent car. This helped a lot as I continued to search for a car. Then last Sept I get on Racing Junk and there is the B3 for sale. Holy ****! I called Dave and bought the car.

I am really lucky to have been able to purchase this great car and meet a great guy like Dave. He provide me with a 3 inch thick binder with all the receipts as well as a five page set of notes on how to maintain and drive the car. I have not drag raced before so this was really important for me.

The original car (picture above) ran in the low 10's. Dave then made additional changes including replacing the 650 HP 451 with the current 750 HP 500 engine. The car now will run low 9's (after I get my NHRA license). My first run down the track (ever in a drag car) scared the **** out of me, but I loved it! Before the season ended I got 6 passes in the car with a best 10.8 after lifting at 1000 ft (don't want to get kicked off the track for running below 10 sec w/o my license).

I plan to get my license this summer and go to Columbus in August for the Mopar Nationals. Dave is going to bring up his 68 Cuda (8 sec tube chassis blown hemi) and we hope to be able to run both cars side by side down the track.

Ma Snart

Here are the issues that had the B3 in it as well as a few pictures:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 1st Drag Race Rear View Staging with Me.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Dave Young at His Work Bench.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Dave Young 68 Cuda.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 204
wow what is that black car?

It is a 1961 Chrysler Newport. The car is all stock except for the front end being lowered and the set of Coy wheels I put on. I bought the car from the second owner who had the car since 1966. The engine is a B block 361 with a two barrel. I have a 413 and a set of long ram manifolds for an engine upgrade in the future. For now, we just cruise and enjoy the fins. I get lots of "Hey Batman where's Robin? " comments.

I found out after I bought the car that it is somewhat rare. According to what I have found on the net, 2135 covertibles were built in 1961. Supposedly only 50 are currently accounted for. I don't baby the car though. I bought it to drive and have fun with, and that we do!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC06055.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 192
Wow, that is a nasty fish there!!!

I just started racing last year when I bought my fish. Started with a 340 (8.5 1/8th), then the stroker (see below). Now looking to get a full bars car, hopefully a Demon to play with while the fish gets bodywork and interior done. Will start with the stroker then probably move to a 500 if I get the car I am looking at cause it has no inner fenders and motor plate mount. Local track is 1/8 and I would like to get into mid 6's with the big block.

Cool that your first pass was with a car that would run low 9s...musta been really scary. I remember my first night at the track and all I wanted to do was keep it out of the wall - that first pass is indeed very nerve wracking.

So... What does it take to get 700+ from a 500? What does it take to get a NHRA license?

I just started racing last year when I bought my fish. Started with a 340 (8.5 1/8th), then the stroker (see below). Now looking to get a full bars car, hopefully a Demon to play with while the fish gets bodywork and interior done. Will start with the stroker then probably move to a 500 if I get the car I am looking at cause it has no inner fenders and motor plate mount. Local track is 1/8 and I would like to get into mid 6's with the big block.

Cool that your first pass was with a car that would run low 9s...musta been really scary. I remember my first night at the track and all I wanted to do was keep it out of the wall - that first pass is indeed very nerve wracking.

So... What does it take to get 700+ from a 500? What does it take to get a NHRA license?

NHRA license - fill out a form, get a physical, then 2 people with NHRA licenses and a certified NHRA guy (at my track the guy who does tech inspections) watch you do the following:

2 launches then you get out of it
2 launches and you get out of it at mid track
2 launches and full runs

If everybody is satisfied you aren't going to kill yourself or andybody else, you get your license.

On what it takes to get 700+ out of a 440, I will come back and give you a run down on what Dave did a bit later, cause right now I am leaving to drive up to the UP of Michigan to spend the weekend riding snow machines! They do not have quite the kick as my fish, but with 150 HP in a machine that weighs 550 lbs plus me will make your arms stretch when you kick it!

Thanks for the interest

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC07747.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 176

Hey AirWoofer,

Did you get to the track yet? What did your car run? Let's see some pics.

I have only gone to get my chassis certified but was too cold and rainy to run. Since then when the weather was right I had family committments. So this week it has warmed up again and I am looking for the rain to stop so I can get my first runs in.

I see here I never followed up on the engine specs. Sorry about that. I will add that info this weekend

Ma Snart

Chassis cert pic...

Attachments

• Chassis Cert 3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 201
-
Back