New Member... '66 Dart Wagon... San Diego, CA

-

steck

Reaction score
I have hit A Bodies site a few and joined up, highly recommended by the President of San Diego MOPAR club.

I have had the Dart for a little over a month and want to begin going through it. I want to upgrade to disc brakes in the front, swap out the 7 1/4 rear end for an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4, while adding 15" wheels with the LBP.

Before I bought it, I didn't realize all it would take to upgrade the front brakes. Learning lots in theory and looking forward to diving into all of it.

But would like some advice from the more experienced out there.

Other than that, I'll keep her pretty stock, just clean her up and drive her.

First question...

Is it worth buying a '74 Dart to get all the pieces for disc brakes and the hopefully 8 1/4 rear end (it has 318 V8 - not sure if they typically would have the 8 1/4) OR skip the parts car and buy front brake kits and rear end?

Would like to hear some thoughts, also looking forward to connecting with many of you out there as time goes by.

IMG_4146.JPG

Welcome to FABO! The San Diego Mopar Club didn't steer you wrong. It's a great source of A-body info, parts search and general overall help.
So did you join SD Mopars?
Looks like you've got a great start for your '66 longroof project. I hope you'll bring it up to our "Mopars In May At CSDR" car show next May with the rest of the SD Mopar crowd that always attends. If not, then I hope to see your nice '66 at SD Mopars 2018 All-American Car Show in Encinitas.

Welcome to FABO! The San Diego Mopar Club didn't steer you wrong. It's a great source of A-body info, parts search and general overall help.
So did you join SD Mopars?
Looks like you've got a great start for your '66 longroof project. I hope you'll bring it up to our "Mopars In May At CSDR" car show next May with the rest of the SD Mopar crowd that always attends. If not, then I hope to see your nice '66 at SD Mopars 2018 All-American Car Show in Encinitas.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I joined SD Mopars, only have been to one meeting, but will going to the monthly meeting tomorrow.

Once I get a few done, I am hoping to be able to hit some shows. Quite a bit to do and I am quite a newbie.

:welcome:From Texas Very nice Wagon that is sweet. You may come out better finding a donor car. Use the Search engine and post your question these guys here are top notch with answers. Good luck and happy moparing

Welcome from a fellow San Diegan!

What part of town are you in? Mission Valley here. There are a few members here that I've connected with, all knowledgeable and helpful.

Let me know what you think of the SD Mopar club, kinda interested in joining.

Welcome from a fellow San Diegan!

What part of town are you in? Mission Valley here. There are a few members here that I've connected with, all knowledgeable and helpful.

Let me know what you think of the SD Mopar club, kinda interested in joining.

Hey Gamedog,

Live in Del Cerro near SDSU.

I only joined SD MOPAR a month ago, but my first meeting everyone was very friendly.

The meeting is tomorrow night (10/11) you can check out the website.

Cheers.

Damn west coast scores again!!! Nice wagon, so what's the story behind her??? Restored or original?
Lil' old lady car used for hauling groceries and church? Long lost MOPAR stored away in a warehouse behind a false wall?? C'mon spill the beans!

:welcome:From Texas Very nice Wagon that is sweet. You may come out better finding a donor car. Use the Search engine and post your question these guys here are top notch with answers. Good luck and happy moparing

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like you have done a lot on your Cuda.

I am still trying to figure where I am going to go with the wagon. I want to keep it mostly stock, but would like to upgrade to disc brakes. But as I have now found out... that begins quite a long trail of swapping out the front end, then the rear end. Then of course once I've gone that far where's the end point. Haven't made the decision yet.

So in the short term, I am looking for a new carb to get her running smoothly - right now she floods. The previous owner did some unique mods to the carb and linkage.

These Holley 1920's are not the easiest to find. Any suggestions on where to find one, rather than randomly picking one off eBay?

Thanks again for the welcome.

Damn west coast scores again!!! Nice wagon, so what's the story behind her??? Restored or original?
Lil' old lady car used for hauling groceries and church? Long lost MOPAR stored away in a warehouse behind a false wall?? C'mon spill the beans!

Hey ZooKypr,

The photo hides some of the issues... The last owner gave her a paint job with a roller. The front seat is trashed. The carb also had some interesting mods and needs to be replaced (Holley 1920).

Trying to figure out the next steps. I want to upgrade to disc brakes which opens a can of worms... going from SBP to BPB - Need to swap out the rear end as well all the work up front. Looking for a donor car (73-76 Dart, etc).

Got any advice on the steps to do a restoration - mostly stock - I want to do most of the work myself and not break the bank.

Steck

Welcome.
Cool car.
Get the donor car, with a 318 it should have the lbp disc brakes and wheels and just might as well pop in the 8 1/4" rear axle.
You'll probably meet some other moparians selling the rest of the parts.

Personally, I would get her running right, do the disc brakes then drive her for a year and enjoy it. Access how much time and money you want to put into bodywork. That's the advice I took when I restified my car and it kept my interest going. Sometimes when you go all out in a resto and start hitting walls people lose interest and abandon the project frustrated. Then they are stuck with a non-running car they don't want anymore and can't seem to sell.

Do the upgrades as you go so you can enjoy it. That's what I did upgraded the rear end after driving it for a while. The good deals on parts show up when your not looking for it. It seems when you want it right here and now it costs more.

Welcome.
Cool car.
Get the donor car, with a 318 it should have the lbp disc brakes and wheels and just might as well pop in the 8 1/4" rear axle.
You'll probably meet some other moparians selling the rest of the parts.
Hey SSVDP,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Steck

Personally, I would get her running right, do the disc brakes then drive her for a year and enjoy it. Access how much time and money you want to put into bodywork. That's the advice I took when I restified my car and it kept my interest going. Sometimes when you go all out in a resto and start hitting walls people lose interest and abandon the project frustrated. Then they are stuck with a non-running car they don't want anymore and can't seem to sell.

Hey ZooKypr,

I really appreciate the advice. It is helpful to hear what others have done that have brought them success.

Steck

Do the upgrades as you go so you can enjoy it. That's what I did upgraded the rear end after driving it for a while. The good deals on parts show up when your not looking for it. It seems when you want it right here and now it costs more.

Hey Loganscuda,

I appreciate the advice. ZooKypr's advice seems to match yours.

Thanks,

Steck

You probably know the big bolt small bolt pattern issue.
I would have to look it up on the rear swap.
Before you get an 8 1/4 check the width and spring perches.
I don't know but wondering if there are differences.
You doner car more likely will have a 7 1/4.
Just more common.
And there is the brake shoe difference.
2 inch verses newer 2 1/4 IIRC.

And this site has the best collection of useable knowledge you will find.
Who needs chalk marks?

I

Last edited:
Hey ZooKypr,

The photo hides some of the issues... The last owner gave her a paint job with a roller. The front seat is trashed. The carb also had some interesting mods and needs to be replaced (Holley 1920).

Trying to figure out the next steps. I want to upgrade to disc brakes which opens a can of worms... going from SBP to BPB - Need to swap out the rear end as well all the work up front. Looking for a donor car (73-76 Dart, etc).

Got any advice on the steps to do a restoration - mostly stock - I want to do most of the work myself and not break the bank.

Steck

Come on up to Fall Fling in LA for the 2nd largest all mopar swap with a well thought out list, and try to score some deals.

Maybe carpool with someone here or in the SD Mopar club. Make sure to be at the swap by 7:00 am though.

There will be disk conversions for sale. Most likely an Abody 8 3/4 but pricey. Maybe an Abody 8 1/4 or large bolt 7 1/4. Regular Abody width is used in all wagons. Make sure you have the width specs so you can measure. Don't rely on a sellers info.

Fling 22
Saturday October 28, 2017
Woodley Park Van Nuys CA

Flyer: http://www.cpwclub.com/documents/FF17Flyer.pdf

Register here: Chrysler Performance West - Mopar Spring Fling & Fall Fling

Last edited:
You probably know the big bolt small bolt pattern issue.
I would have to look it up on the rear swap.
Before you get an 8 1/4 check the width and spring perches.
I don't know but wondering if there are differences.
You doner car more likely will have a 7 1/4.
Just more common.
And there is the brake shoe difference.
2 inch verses newer 2 1/4 IIRC.

And this site has the best collection of useable knowledge you will find.
Who needs chalk marks?

I

Hey Adriver,

Yes, I have learned of the sbp and lbp issue. To be honest, it initially a surprise once I started doing the disc brake upgrade.

So if I use a 74 Dart as a donor, I will be going from a sbp to a lbp with the disc brake upgrade. I have talked to several folks and it could either way on the rear end 7 1/4 or 8 1/4. One can hope for the 8 1/4.

I am not sure what you mean about the brake shoe difference. Do you mind explaining?

Thank you for the advice.

Steck

I'm late to the party, LOL Welcome to FABO. That's a very nice 66 Wagon you have there. I have a 66 GT car myself. These early A's are fun cars! toolmanmike

Come on up to Fall Fling in LA for the 2nd largest all mopar swap with a well thought out list, and try to score some deals.

Maybe carpool with someone here or in the SD Mopar club. Make sure to be at the swap by 7:00 am though.

There will be disk conversions for sale. Most likely an Abody 8 3/4 but pricey. Maybe an Abody 8 1/4 or large bolt 7 1/4. Regular Abody width is used in all wagons. Make sure you have the width specs so you can measure. Don't rely on a sellers info.

Fling 22
Saturday October 28, 2017
Woodley Park Van Nuys CA

Flyer: http://www.cpwclub.com/documents/FF17Flyer.pdf

Register here: Chrysler Performance West - Mopar Spring Fling & Fall Fling

Hi Autoxcuda,

The Fall Fling has been recommended and I will probably be coming. Trying to see if the donor car could meet most of my requirements. I am still a newbie to much of this, how do sellers deal with newbies asking lots of questions?

What are you thoughts on donor cars?

Thanks for the input.

Steck

I'm late to the party, LOL Welcome to FABO. That's a very nice 66 Wagon you have there. I have a 66 GT car myself. These early A's are fun cars! toolmanmike

Hey Toolmanmike,

Thanks for the welcome. I imagine you have seen the posts relative to converting to disc brakes. Did you do a swap on your GT?

I am pretty much a newbie and trying to learn all I can and get this underway.

One thing I need is a new Holley 1920. The prior owner did some interesting mods on it and it floods all the time.
any suggestions as to where to get one? I tried Rockauto but they are out of stock.

Thanks,

Steck

Do you have a line on a donor 73-76 a body with 8 1/4 rear and disks? Most you find will have 7 1/4 rears. And the lower six clyinders can be drum 7 1/4 cars.

Expecting to find a car like that for under $700 in San Diego is probably not realistic. Maybe if you look hard for a couple years at least. If you want those parts within 6 months expect to buy the parts individually.

Donor cars are more of a rust belt deal. Their bodies rust out and they scavenge the mechanicals. And they have cheap land that people can abandon/store rusted out cars on.

-
Back