New Motor for the Cuda - MRL Performance 340 Stroker

-
BTW Jim I tested that style of air cleaner with the breath thru top and we always lost power running them. I seems to create a lot of turbulence with air coming in the sides and colliding with air coming in the top. You have to run some sort of breather on the VC and a PCV as well or the crank case pressure is going to go sky high.

BTW Jim I tested that style of air cleaner with the breath thru top and we always lost power running them. I seems to create a lot of turbulence with air coming in the sides and colliding with air coming in the top. You have to run some sort of breather on the VC and a PCV as well or the crank case pressure is going to go sky high.
What air cleaners tested well ? How does the stock 1970 , or 1968/69 cleaners do ?
Thanks , nice to see another of you builds ,they make great power and run reliably , hope to be a customer one day .

Thanks mike I will change the air cleaner.

Also plan on running a PCV set up before I fire it this week.

Getting close, I cant wait!

well after a long delay due to a crazy work schedule I finally fired the new motor and wow it sounds awesome!

No issues other than a small fuel leak at the carb.

I have to get the exhaust tied back in this week and should be ready for some street miles...

I plan on driving it for the remainder of the fall, before replacing the axles and adding a mono leaf cal track set-up over the long Michigan winter.

Not too much fun this year but I should be ready to rock in the spring!

well after a long delay due to a crazy work schedule I finally fired the new motor and wow it sounds awesome!

No issues other than a small fuel leak at the carb.

I have to get the exhaust tied back in this week and should be ready for some street miles...

I plan on driving it for the remainder of the fall, before replacing the axles and adding a mono leaf cal track set-up over the long Michigan winter.

Not too much fun this year but I should be ready to rock in the spring!

I'm glad to hear you're getting to it. ABOUT TIME!!!!! LOL. I'd still like to hear the results from a track this year before you get the cal tracks on it. Those strips aren't closed yet.

Glad to here you got it running, been wondering... if you get the exhaust set up and some miles on it, next saturday, the 27th Nostalgia drags at Milan might be fun.

Glad to here you got it running, been wondering... if you get the exhaust set up and some miles on it, next saturday, the 27th Nostalgia drags at Milan might be fun.

That's a great idea and I think I can make it... see what this pig can do!

I picked the Cuda up today from Great Lakes Customs in Mt Clemens Mi who install a new 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust system with Flow master 50 series mufflers.

They did an unbelievable job, looks like a work of art and sounds tough as nails.

If anyone in SE Mich is looking for a quality exhaust guy check them out.

http://www.greatlakescustoms.com/

Also drove the car with the new motor in it for a few miles tonight.

starts easy, runs smooth and makes more than enough power (at least for the BF Goodrich Street Tires) very little vacuum for my power breaks so I think I may need a pump.

only current issue is a power steering leak that I thought I fixed with new O-rings on the return line nipple but its still leaking.

I will take some videos of the car running and get them on line

I'm not sure if I will be ready for Milan Saturday to run the car hard at the track but will defiantly get to the track before the weather changes.

Its all starting to come together...

Jim

If you're going to be spending more time on the street than on the track, you may want to re-think those Caltracs. I sold mine( at a loss) and bought two passenger side '68 2800 lbs Super Stock springs. The car sits level, launches great and hooks up hard on the street.

For a track only car Caltracs are the way to go. On the street, they are a brutal ride.

With that can you need a pump for sure , that or manual brakes .

If you're going to be spending more time on the street than on the track, you may want to re-think those Caltracs. I sold mine( at a loss) and bought two passenger side '68 2800 lbs Super Stock springs. The car sits level, launches great and hooks up hard on the street.

For a track only car Caltracs are the way to go. On the street, they are a brutal ride.

I'm glad to hear that the 2800# springs work. I opted for those on the scamp after seeing the 001/002 springs on a duster. I didn't care for the buckboard ride.

Jim, glad to hear you got it running, would love to see a few pics of the exh, sys. and a video of it running.
On the brakes, you might want to try a vacum reserve canister. That's what I have on mine and the brakes work fine with an idle of between 5" and 7"hg.

Gary

I'm glad to hear that the 2800# springs work. I opted for those on the scamp after seeing the 001/002 springs on a duster. I didn't care for the buckboard ride.

At the recommendation of Dr Diff, I even have them on my 1970 E-body, with an aluminum headed 493" RB along with an aluminum intake, water pump housing, tube headers and a Passon 5 speed. It still has to be close to 3600+ lbs. They are perfect for that car too. It's never ridden so nice either.

Jim, glad to hear you got it running, would love to see a few pics of the exh, sys. and a video of it running.
On the brakes, you might want to try a vacum reserve canister. That's what I have on mine and the brakes work fine with an idle of between 5" and 7"hg.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I picked up a canister this afternoon from Mancini racing. were did you mount yours? I may try to hide it in the wheel well close to the booster to keep the runs short.

As far as springs, you guys use A-body 2800 super stock springs on an e-body? I do believe they are 20" fronts segments.

The springs on my car are only a few years old so maybe I will skip the mono leaf and just add the cal track bar, I've been told they do make a big difference.

Thanks for all the info guys, that's why i love this forum.

Jim

Thanks Gary, I picked up a canister this afternoon from Mancini racing. were did you mount yours? I may try to hide it in the wheel well close to the booster to keep the runs short.

As far as springs, you guys use A-body 2800 super stock springs on an e-body? I do believe they are 20" fronts segments.

The springs on my car are only a few years old so maybe I will skip the mono leaf and just add the cal track bar, I've been told they do make a big difference.

Thanks for all the info guys, that's why i love this forum.

Jim

Yes, they do have the shorter front segments. The inset hanger kit that allows the use of a '68 B-body Dana, which is 3 inches total narrower at the spring perches and overall diameter than an E-body rear end, allows for the change to A-body springs.

Sorry but aren't all S/S springs A body sized?
Thus the required longer front spring hanger.

Thanks Gary, I picked up a canister this afternoon from Mancini racing. were did you mount yours? I may try to hide it in the wheel well close to the booster to keep the runs short. As far as springs, you guys use A-body 2800 super stock springs on an e-body? I do believe they are 20" fronts segments. The springs on my car are only a few years old so maybe I will skip the mono leaf and just add the cal track bar, I've been told they do make a big difference. Thanks for all the info guys, that's why i love this forum. Jim

I mounted mine under the battery, but have since moved the battery to the trunk.
For the SS springs i made a spacer from square tubing and used the stock spring mounts.
I then moved them inboard and made an offset pair.

Attachments

• 1226112101b (800x600).jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 503
Well I think I'm going to do some test and tune at lapeer this weekend. Not a great track but it should be fine for the cuda and I will be able to get in a lot of passes.

Going slap on a set of drag radials and a snubber and see what this pig will do.

I will keep you guys posted!

Well I think I'm going to do some test and tune at lapeer this weekend. Not a great track but it should be fine for the cuda and I will be able to get in a lot of passes. Going slap on a set of drag radials and a snubber and see what this pig will do. I will keep you guys posted!

Anxiously awaiting the results....

Well I think I'm going to do some test and tune at lapeer this weekend. Not a great track but it should be fine for the cuda and I will be able to get in a lot of passes.

Going slap on a set of drag radials and a snubber and see what this pig will do.

I will keep you guys posted!

Get an adjustable snubber. The ride on the street is brutal if you have it on or very near the floorpan, but that works best at the track.

Well I think I'm going to do some test and tune at lapeer this weekend. Not a great track but it should be fine for the cuda and I will be able to get in a lot of passes. Going slap on a set of drag radials and a snubber and see what this pig will do. I will keep you guys posted!

I'm planning on going to lapeer sunday for the Old Geezers race. maybe i'll see ya there:burnout:

-
Back