New Project '65 Cuda - Gonna need lots of advise

-

dan schalk

Reaction score
Just picked up this 1965 Barracuda. Bought it from the original owner who said it ran fine before she stopped driving it about 6 years ago. Had it towed to my house because I didn't want to risk trying to turn it over and damaging something. My plan to start is to drain all fluids and replace, then pour some marvel mystery oil into the plug holes to loosen up the engine and try to get it started. it's a 225 with no ac. Be patient, you'll all be getting a lot of questions!

IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_2106.JPG
IMG_2107.JPG
Thanks in advance,

Dan

Looks solid.
Nice score. I would consider putting a socket on the crank bolt and giving it a tug.

My ‘65 is in a state of disassembly, thats how i bought it, in my opinion you are way ahead of me.
Dont be afraid to ask a question,but first do a search, in a forum this long running i’m sure there isnt a question that hasnt been asked. Good luck.

I'll betcha it hops right back to life, those slant 6 motors are hard to kill!! Welcome to FABO, glad to have you with us!

NICE !! Just goes to show you that they are still out there !

Looks awesome. Welcome to the 65 club. I'm trying to finish my 65 Formula S this year.

Way to go! My 65 225 had sat in a ladies yard for over 26 years, changed all of the engine fluids, new starter and a new battery, some clean gas, from a "make shift, hand held" gas can...she fired right up! Of course, I had to do a bunch of other stuff to it before I could take it out on the road. If yours has the stock 13" wheels, shop around and find a set of 14" rally wheels...they will give your new car a whole new attitude.

rallye wheel.jpg

IMG_2185.JPG

Nice. Yeah I plan on doing just that. I was gonna convert the front to disc, but thinking that might just wait a while. The roof rails are filled with cracked sealant, looks pretty shabby. I was gonna scape it out, but I have to remove the trim to do it. The trim in perfect and I don't want to mess it up as i'm sure it's tough to find. I've seen some videos of guys gently pulling that off with a bottle opener so I might give it a go. Do the rails have to be resealed??

I believe you need to scrape out all of the old caulk to get a good look at the rails for rust. I used the "can opener" method to get my rail trim off, I did buff smooth the opener's paw to keep from scratching the chrome. The Wood method works as well. The most important thing is to "go slow," do a little section at a time. If you bend one,(trim) it's hard to repair. I haven't got to the "re-caulking" of my rails, but you need to use a quality product. I believe this has been discussed on the forum, of what product to use.
Gas tank? Yes, I installed a new one along with a new fuel level, (and engine fuel pump) sending unit and new hangar straps. It's an easy job to do, (and not real expensive) but before you hook up the fuel line, disconnect it at the fuel pump and force (blow) a good solvent through the line. you will be surprised what comes out.
Keep asking the questions and everyone here will give you the answers and advice you need. Keep us informed of your progress.
Norm

I believe you need to scrape out all of the old caulk to get a good look at the rails for rust. I used the "can opener" method to get my rail trim off, I did buff smooth the opener's paw to keep from scratching the chrome. The Wood method works as well. The most important thing is to "go slow," do a little section at a time. If you bend one,(trim) it's hard to repair. I haven't got to the "re-caulking" of my rails, but you need to use a quality product. I believe this has been discussed on the forum, of what product to use.
Gas tank? Yes, I installed a new one along with a new fuel level, (and engine fuel pump) sending unit and new hangar straps. It's an easy job to do, (and not real expensive) but before you hook up the fuel line, disconnect it at the fuel pump and force (blow) a good solvent through the line. you will be surprised what comes out.
Keep asking the questions and everyone here will give you the answers and advice you need. Keep us informed of your progress.
Norm
LOL there wont be any rust, it in southern California!!

Nice. Yeah I plan on doing just that. I was gonna convert the front to disc, but thinking that might just wait a while. The roof rails are filled with cracked sealant, looks pretty shabby. I was gonna scape it out, but I have to remove the trim to do it. The trim in perfect and I don't want to mess it up as i'm sure it's tough to find. I've seen some videos of guys gently pulling that off with a bottle opener so I might give it a go. Do the rails have to be resealed??
Easy to bend with bottle opener. I used a small piece of wood and tapped easily. It came off easily without bending

Only 6 years on a slant is like it was parked last week. I would throw in a new gas tank, battery and oil change. After that a new set of points and she should be fine.

So I pulled the plugs, they didn't look terrible. I put in new plugs, put a little marvel mystery in each cylinder. Changed the oil and filter. Put in a new battery. I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and if fired up pretty quickly. Died even quicker. Just as soon as it burned the starting fluid. Before replacing the tank, I was gonna try pulling the fuel line ahead of the pump and drop a line into a gas can and into the pump. Will this work?? Will it pump gas from the can into the carb? Just like to hear it run for a bit. I was going to pull the tank and see if it could be cleaned out but maybe just getting a new one is a better plan. I hope that's the problem. Sludgy, bad fuel. It blew a lot of smoke (white) out the tail pipe.

Thanks

I put a short steel fuel line standing up and filled my carb and filled bowl.
Or you can fill bowl through the angled tube inside throat of carb. Only an ounce or so.

Yes you can run a hose from the fuel pump into a can. Please be careful if doing this I have seen guys get careless and burn a car up this way forgetting how flammable gasoline is.

Like "chryslerfat" said. That's what I did.
Norm
I'm with you guys, be careful with open fuel cans. I have a larger gas tank from an old lawn equipment engine . It has a fuel line fitting and a cap. Works great setting close with rubber line to the pump.

Niiiiiiccceee. Why don't I ever stumble across such a thing..
I have a 65 for sale. Its a rough car and going to need a lot of work. Number 5 condition. $650.00 for it and no title. Can get titles though from a guy I know who deals in this type of business.

-
Back