New project driver joins the herd

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Scanning Craigslist, I found a 65 Valiant 4 door, rebuilt 273 auto, in Vancouver. Drove over to check it out, drove it around town a bit, purchased it, drove it home. The only bad thing was the muffler blew up with a loud bang, and we had a loud trip back.

It's a 65 Plymouth Valiant V200, 273 2 bbl, column shift auto, 7 1/4 with 2.94 gears or something, original running gear. Engine has 1000 miles into the rebuild, 77000 original mile car.

After getting it home, I swapped the rims from the Dart onto it, eliminating the scary 13" rims.

The body is solid minus the passenger quarter which is all bondo.. :( , has some dings in the doors, but it came with a complete set of rust free, ding free doors. Also came with a straight rear bumper, another column, and another rear bottom seat. Oh, and all the gauges work! The plan is to slowly fix its problems, replace broken parts, body work and paint, and daily drive at the same time when I'm home, since the Dart is out of commission for a while.

DSC03338.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03340.jpg

DSC03341.jpg

DSC03342.jpg

DSC03343.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

DSC03345.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03347.jpg

DSC03348.jpg

DSC03349.jpg

DSC03350.jpg

DSC03351.jpg

DSC03352.jpg

DSC03353.jpg

DSC03355.jpg

DSC03356.jpg

After the wheel change..

DSC03357.jpg

DSC03358.jpg

DSC03359.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

From the pictures, you can see I need a:

drivers arm rest, preferrably in blue,
2 headlight rings,
possibly a straight grill if I can find one, but I may be able to straighten this one enough,
1 reverse light lense,
drivers side sun visor in light blue,
the Valiant horn button,
another V8 emblem for the front fender,
and two light blue kick panels.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Mike...if you didn't know, that's a US built car. The Canadian V200 would be the other body style, ie, US Dart body style. Your car, built in Canada, would be a "100" series model, just like my 'vert.

Mike...if you didn't know, that's a US built car. The Canadian V200 would be the other body style, ie, US Dart body style. Your car, built in Canada, would be a "100" series model, just like my 'vert.

I did know it was a US built car, but I didn't know the other information. Thanks!

Do you know anyone on the island who has any Valiant parts? I remember Horne Lake had probably 10 of them, before they crushed everything. But at the time I wasn't ever looking for Valiant parts.

Makes me happy to see these little workhorses still performing. Kudos to you Mike for saving this early-a. I'm thinking it will be a comfy highway driver with the rear end ratio it has.

Darwin, you wouldn't happen to have any parts would you?

He cool find,welcome to Early-A crowd!Looks like the 273 will make for a good daily driver!Time for another thread in Early-A bodies discussions.What parts are you looking for?

He cool find,welcome to Early-A crowd!Looks like the 273 will make for a good daily driver!Time for another thread in Early-A bodies discussions.What parts are you looking for?

Thanks! I figured it was about time I picked up an Early-A.

I have a small list of items needed..

drivers arm rest, preferrably in blue,
2 headlight rings,
possibly a straight grill if I can find one, but I may be able to straighten this one enough,
1 reverse light lense,
drivers side sun visor in light blue,
the Valiant horn button,
another V8 emblem for the front fender,
2 light blue kick panels,
the trim that goes around the radio,
2 front window defrost vents,
2 sockets for reverse lights,
passenger side quarter panel, the whole thing,

I'll add more later.

I stopped at an older guys house today, who has a few V200's and Signet 200's sitting in his yard, and managed to get some workable headlight trim rings. They aren't perfect, but much better than what I had.

Before..

DSC03351.jpg

After replacing the grill and straightening the bumper. Still need to take the dents out of the valence, but its a little better..

DSC03428.jpg

Also replaced the rear bumper with a straighter one, upgraded to some 14" rims all the way around, true dual exhaust, temporarily took care of SOME surface rust issues, and replaced a broken reverse lense.

Before..

DSC03359.jpg

After..

DSC03429.jpg

Nice find.It looks like it must have been a granny car for part of it's life going by the low miles and the BCAA stickers.If I see any old Valiants like that being parted out here in Victoria,I'll let you know.

Nice find. I just caught this post, so to answer your question from back in April, nope, don't have any of the parts you listed, most of my stuff is for '66.

This sight is so big and I am so slow :toothy10: I bet the dog dish hub caps are going on your V8 Valiant :cheers:, Nize 65 Mike :cheers:

I have V8 envy know :-D

They definatly are. I'll finally have the proper dog dishes on it. I did find another set on a 2 door 66 Canadian Valiant that someone has offered me for $350, but they are all smashed up.

I did know it was a US built car, but I didn't know the other information. Thanks!

Do you know anyone on the island who has any Valiant parts? I remember Horne Lake had probably 10 of them, before they crushed everything. But at the time I wasn't ever looking for Valiant parts.

Well, I had a bunch, but, they went with the '65 Val'vert I just sold. Sorry.

-
Back