New race car

-

rick4106

Reaction score
Purchased a new car but want some opinions of what to do with it. 73 Dart Sport , 70 440,906 heads, 727 with brake,8 3/4 4.30 gear, full cage. Stock suspension front and rear. Offset shackle kit. Noticed car had floor shift hump. Car has stock dash, vin with title and fender tag. Decided to decode vin and fender tag. This is a 340,3 speed on floor car, b3 blue white stripe, performance hood car. Decisions . Will get some pics up when I get home.

Sounds like a neat car - both the way it is now, and how it left the factory - a 3 speed 340 in 73 must have been rare, and a decent color combo too! Post up some pics! It is always nice to have a VIN and title - even on a race car, nothing like legal proof of ownership.

Pics

Attachments

• 20140920_094236.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 623
  • 20140920_094227.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 658
  • 20140920_094251.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 645
Well I'll be damned and almost embarrassed to admit this as I thought it was a typo and had to google images for A 73 Dart Sport, I never knew the Dart morphed into a Duster look alike and the new one looks like a damn Colt to me.

Cool car, since it's already that way I say drag the bumper and enjoy!!!

***They say Ignorance is Blissful, C'mon now I know I ain't the only one---LoL!!!

Hi rick ,that looks real solid ,great platform for a 1/4 mile car. I received the perfectly crated and wrapped pallet with all the turbo stuff from you yesterday for my 71 dart. Will start the turbo build end of November. Thanks again and have fun with your new toy. Nwdart

Nice grab Rick!!!

I don't know where you want to end up with the car, meaning 1/8th, 1/4mi, or some street use, but at this point I'd go thru every nut/bolt/brakes/wiring, etc. to make sure it's a safe ride? Once that's accomplished, you can move on to whatever mods/paint, etc. you'd like to do.

Thanks Rich. Has some cracked bushings and worn front end parts.Rust issues on floor pans. Needs brakes,tires and dont like the aluminum work. Runs,has a .550 solid,transbrake and trans shifts,broken stud on one axle. New carb,older dedinbear delay box,airshifter,msd7,2step,rpm swith,m1 intake,chry tach drive dist,70 model 440,and a deep pan so far. Still going thru things. Will go thru everthing to make sure its safe before we make a pass.

damn, whatta score. The potential here is mind boggling. Most of these are small block cars, you got the Biggee. All the hard stuf's been done, now you just have to go thru it and make it better.
Cant wait to see how you progress, I have one of these, a 74 360 Car. I am converting it to all out Drag, so I can relate. Mine wont be Super Fast, but it'll be competitive and my second car. When my 440 Dart is out of Action, the Dart Sport will keep me racin'!
KEEP US INFORMED!!!

Looks like it's begging for some garbage can tubs in the back with some coilovers, narrowed rear end, I got mine from mopar madness out of Colorado for 780.00 cut to the width I wanted with axles and bearings perches set where I wanted with correct pinion angle

Well I'll be damned and almost embarrassed to admit this as I thought it was a typo and had to google images for A 73 Dart Sport, I never knew the Dart morphed into a Duster look alike and the new one looks like a damn Colt to me.

Cool car, since it's already that way I say drag the bumper and enjoy!!!

***They say Ignorance is Blissful, C'mon now I know I ain't the only one---LoL!!!
They had a members 74 360 car featured in Hot Rod a while back. It is green, this is one of my beaters.
vbpgimage.php

The Dart didn't really morph into the Duster platform, per say. It was named the Dart Sport to replace the Dodge Demon after the religious groups put up a fuss about the Demons name and the devil and pitchfork emblem.

Some folks just take things way too literally and have too much time on their hands.

Braided fuel lines ran across the distributor... That would have to be moved and just bring the fuel in from the rear..

Neat car for sure.. Would make a cool street car.

Finally got around to the dart. Removed all brakes and lines. One rusted wheel cyl. and frozen pass caliper. Disassembled rearend. 4.30 Richmond gear, 35 spline strange spool, and mark Williams axles all look good. Already have most of the new brakes and late model master cylinder. Putting braided soft lines and new steel. New pinion seal. Then off to front end. Picked up a set of 28x10.5 slicks from a friend with 8 passes on them.

I have a rule on slicks. It matters some what on the number of passes but the date code on the side means more. Old slicks get hard you may not be able to feel it with your hand but your car will figure this out and you will have traction problems. Get the newest you can on slicks. I even ask what the date code is on them when I buy new.

Taking my mixed up toy out to track for a two day race. 3rd time out 7.12 @85 in 1/8 with a 1.53 60 foot.

Attachments

• 20150605_190843.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 20150605_190832.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 257
He is running a beginners class and is limited to 7.00. Don't know why my pics are sideways.had some left over parts from my sons car. Put the 68 front end on it. Starting to grow on me . Lol

-
Back