new rebuild startup and thermostat?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just getting ready to fill the aluminum radiator with the evans coolant. The thought occurred to me that because this block and aluminum heads are empty of coolant, should I remove the new thermostat I installed during assembly. My concern is a lack of coolant flow and possible damage to the engine from heat. This rebuild has yet to be started. I am also trying this Evans coolant due to the aluminum heads, radiator, intake ect.

I wouldn't. If there is no thermostat, the coolant flows too fast to remove heat from the engine.

If your thermostat doesn't have an air vent, drill one as it will allow the air out of the block and heads before the engine ever gets close to temp.
1/8 inch.

I always remove the stat for cam break-in, and replace it with a restrictor washer. You got enough things to watch over at this time, never mind worrying that the Stat will open on time.
I always run straight water at this time too. #1, it is a better coolant, and #2, if some pukes out on the floor, it is easy to clean up, and cheap to replace.

I always remove the stat for cam break-in, and replace it with a restrictor washer. You got enough things to watch over at this time, never mind worrying that the Stat will open on time.
I always run straight water at this time too. #1, it is a better coolant, and #2, if some pukes out on the floor, it is easy to clean up, and cheap to replace.

Ya, but the Evans stuff wants all the water out. So I figured I would just put the Evans coolant in and go with that. But at 45.00 per gallon, I really didn't want to loose it re-installing the thermostat. As it is, my engine builder left the block coolant plug out of the block. I found out about that when the Evans coolant started pouring out over the floor. Lots of stuff to consider. Thankfully, I pulled a plug from a 440 block I have waiting to build. I think the thermostat I bought already has the bypass. So I think I will just go for it with the new thermostat in place. Evans coolant in the system.

-
Back