New seats faded need advise

-

ragtop

Reaction score
My newish seats are fading from the orig crimson red to a pinkish red and looks pretty bad.
They have not been in the sun much at all.
Spent nearly 2k on these covers with new foam so I'm disappointed in them.
Tried emailing customer service for advise but no response.
Can I dye them with good results ?
If so what brand do you recommend.

If you dye them the dye will come off on your clothes...The seat covers should have been treated with UV protectant at the factory...I would call customer service and read them the riot act...That is ridiculous to spend that much money and have that happen so quickly...Bill

I'm not so sure that the dye would come off on your clothes. When I had my seats repaired in my Barracuda, they sewed in new portions that were damaged and spray dyed cloth portions that had faded. I've used vinyl dyes in the past with good results, although they did have a tendency to show wear within a year. The dye that the upholsterer used was called COLORBOND. http://www.colorbondpaint.com/

I'm not so sure that the dye would come off on your clothes. When I had my seats repaired in my Barracuda, they sewed in new portions that were damaged and spray dyed cloth portions that had faded. I've used vinyl dyes in the past with good results, although they did have a tendency to show wear within a year. The dye that the upholsterer used was called COLORBOND. http://www.colorbondpaint.com/
Good to know...Thanks

Don't want to flame the co but it starts with a L.
Funny thing is when I removed the factory Mopar seat covers they were originally blueish green and dyed red.
I would have never known if not removed and they didn't fade after 35 yrs of service.

My newish seats are fading from the orig crimson red to a pinkish red and looks pretty bad.
They have not been in the sun much at all.
Spent nearly 2k on these covers with new foam so I'm disappointed in them.
Tried emailing customer service for advise but no response.
Can I dye them with good results ?
If so what brand do you recommend.

How new are they? I wouldn't dye them I'd be calling L and raising cain if they aren't that old.

How old are the covers and how long is the manufacturers warranty on defects?

I'd be pissed if it was mine :wack:

You can always send them a link to this thread too.... :)

Approx 5 yrs old with maybe 100 miles on them,garage kept.
Minty condition except the color fade and its not just the top of them like sun fade.

Minty condition except the color fade and its not just the top of them like sun fade.

Well, that 5 years might bite ya with them, although I would at the very least call and express my displeasure about it.

And tell them it isn't stored outside at all so they can't use the sun excuse.

You haven't anything to lose but a phone call and a few minutes.

You want for me to go beat them up??? there only a 100 miles or so from here...They should stand behind them if they don't they are stupid... Classic cars are there business and most of these car are hardly driven and surly don't sit outside in the weather...Bill

You want for me to go beat them up??? there only a 100 miles or so from here...They should stand behind them if they don't they are stupid... Classic cars are there business and most of these car are hardly driven and surly don't sit outside in the weather...Bill

Nope, not looking for someone to beat them up haha
I started this thread to hopefully find a good dye I could use to bring the color back and last years.
After reading the comments I will give them a call and see what they say.

After reading the comments I will give them a call and see what they say.

I think that's a good start. If that proves to be fruitless, dyeing them is the next option.

I used the adhesion promoter and dye from O'Riellys and it seems to be holding up OK. I haven't had any rub off yet, of course like yours the car doesn't get driven a whole lot.

The key to it is in the prep, clean, clean and clean. Follow up with the adhesion promoter and then several thin light coats of dye until you reach the desired coverage.

I have seat covers on my 65 mustang convertible... 20k miles in the last 10yrs... no fading. And half of those miles are top down. Something is wrong.

BTW... I also put in new carpeting 10yrs ago... thats faded, but not my seat covers.

I don't know how that helps but if I paid 2k, I'd call until I got a real answer, or.... I'd have someone else call that's really persistent. Just be polite at all times no matter your frustration.

Some fabrics, especially those containing nylon, will not retain color no matter what you do. Aftermarket carpets and welt are perfect examples. If it faded that fast, dying it again is only a temporary fix.

I ordered a swatch of the original color to compare to before I proceeded.
The swatch is definitely a few shades darker without the pinkish hue.
Been busy lately but will contact them soon and update.

-
Back