New stall or balanced flywheel?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I have a 318 in my Dart right now with a 2400 - 2800 stall. I can never remember. I am putting in a 408 stroker soon and got into it with my brother. I was going to buy a new converter in the 3800 to 4000 stall range. He says I won't be able to drive it on the street and should stay with my current stall, in which case I will have to buy a balanced flywheel to work with my internally balanced converter. What do you guys think? New converter or new flywheel? I think I need a higher stall but I always value the opinions I get here.

408 Stroker
Edelbrock Super Victor intake
Edelbrock performer rpm heads (gasket matched w/ light porting)
Holley 750 double pumper
Comp Cam 242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Hooker Super Comp headers w/ 2 1/2" exhaust
904 stock tranny
Dana 60 w/ 4.10
Caltracs and mono leafs

I have a 318 in my Dart right now with a 2400 - 2800 stall. I can never remember. I am putting in a 408 stroker soon and got into it with my brother. I was going to buy a new converter in the 3800 to 4000 stall range. He says I won't be able to drive it on the street and should stay with my current stall, in which case I will have to buy a balanced flywheel to work with my internally balanced converter. What do you guys think? New converter or new flywheel? I think I need a higher stall but I always value the opinions I get here.

408 Stroker
Edelbrock Super Victor intake
Edelbrock performer rpm heads (gasket matched w/ light porting)
Holley 750 double pumper
Comp Cam 242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Hooker Super Comp headers w/ 2 1/2" exhaust
904 stock tranny
Dana 60 w/ 4.10
Caltracs and mono leafs

You mean a flex plate to go with auto tranny, don't you? Fly wheels go with manual tranny. If you are going to drive it on the street probably 3000-3500 stall. I have 3000 in mine. Maybe someone with more info will chime in.

Your converter will be fine with your 408. The 408 will have a lot of low end grunt with a cam that small. Why do you think you need a different flexplate?

Oh yeah, tell your brother that converter technology has made leaps and bounds in the last 20 yrs. or so. You can get a "tight" design 4000 stall converter that will drive ok on the street. Their nothing like the converters of the old days that slipped like a worn out clutch.

Your converter will be fine with your 408. The 408 will have a lot of low end grunt with a cam that small. Why do you think you need a different flexplate?

Oh yeah, tell your brother that converter technology has made leaps and bounds in the last 20 yrs. or so. You can get a "tight" design 4000 stall converter that will drive ok on the street. Their nothing like the converters of the old days that slipped like a worn out clutch.

I need a new flexplate because the 360 is externally balanced where the 318 is internally balanced. But I only need the flexplate if I stay with my old converter. If I buy a new one I will buy one that is weighted.

You mean a flex plate to go with auto tranny, don't you? Fly wheels go with manual tranny. If you are going to drive it on the street probably 3000-3500 stall. I have 3000 in mine. Maybe someone with more info will chime in.

Oops. Yes, flexplate.

If you have to buy a new flex plate, I would just buy the B&M one for the 360. That way you don't have to run any weights and it opens up some choices on convertors.

If you have to buy a new flex plate, I would just buy the B&M one for the 360. That way you don't have to run any weights and it opens up some choices on convertors.

+1 Here is the one that I am installing for my 318-360 swap. I am in the same situation as you, but my engine builder balanced my crank with the flex plate and new damper installed. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10239/

I,d check with the engine builder to see if it had an internally balanced crank installed when it had the 408 crank installed.My 408 is internally balanced.

I,d check with the engine builder to see if it had an internally balanced crank installed when it had the 408 crank installed.My 408 is internally balanced.

Excellent point ^^^^

And true to the previous poster about convertor technology, I am running a 3500 stall 10 inch convertor on the street behind my small block stroker, and I love it. When in drive at a stoplight idling, it will try to pull the car forward slightly, nice and tight, and flashes perfectly. And my cam is very similar to yours; I am running a 241 / 247, 545 lift on a 110 centerline.

Excellent point. It has a Scat crankshaft and the build sheet states "balance rotating assembly, V style". I assume I will be okay after all?

Excellent point. It has a Scat crankshaft and the build sheet states "balance rotating assembly, V style". I assume I will be okay after all?

Never heard the term "V style" so don't assume anything even though a lot of stroker cranks balance out internally just fine. I'd call the machine shop and ask them to make sure. Would be a bummer to install the wrong one and have it vibrate.

I've just bought a Dart with a 318/904 that a previous owner installed a 360 converter in. It WILL vibrate! LOL! (Check out the crack in the starter ring...)

Attachments

• Photo002.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 177
-
Back