New starter won’t fit due to headers

-

68gtxman

I used to reMember
Reaction score
I have a slow cranking when hot issue, so I figured I would just change the starter with a new one. The original one looked old and maybe it was tired. I ordered a new mini starter and found that it is not even close to fitting. I thought the original started was a mini too, but it looks completely different. The first photo shows the new starter on the right and the original one on the left.
D21C00BC-85F9-4AD0-9499-05BE09EE9044.jpeg
42167559-C632-43D5-9E96-3BF6B61C724F.jpeg

The photo above shows how much of the new starter sticks out to the right side of the two mounting holes. This configuration hits the headers by around an inch or more.
538ED799-1241-45B0-9504-0F9DEB7DC57C.jpeg
D3E10524-A62E-444B-A4F5-A3249427297E.jpeg

The photo above shows just how much the new starter sticks out beyond the original starter’s mounting holes.
E9220029-A7A4-405E-9045-BD1171AFEF1B.jpeg

So is the original starter a standard starter? The engine is in a 1965 Barracuda. It is a 360 and it has a cast date in 1996. Does this make the engine a magnum? I don’t know the make of the headers. They fit tight with the z-bar (manual transmission). What starter do I need to replicate the original and will it crank an engine with a lot of compression?

Yep ! Would not fit with my Hooker Super Comp headers ether.

Yep, just as with brian6pak, the mini starter would not fit with my old hooker adjustables either. If your headers are old enough, the mini will not clear, for the exact reason you have found. There are tubes routed through the space where the new mini is, cause the old starter wasnt there.
I believe summit offers a new version of the old full size starter. It wont be as cheap as the modern mini.
Newer design headers, like tti, are designed to clear, and require! the mini.
Summit offers an OE for $168. There is always rock auto, but i dont deal with any company where i cant talk to a human.

Last edited:
I would take your old starter to a parts store that has a starter tester. That will give you an idea on the condition of the starter. Starters are not hard to rebuild and your should be able to buy a kit for it.

Call RobbMc about your old starter.... They are the mfg of it.... they are good and expensive....I'd see if they can fix you up somehow and reuse that one. HTH, Lefty71

RobbMcPerformance - Mopar Starter

Last edited:
To answer your one question about the old one.....nope, that isn't a factory Mopar starter. @Lefty71 may be right about the MFG, so calling as he suggested might be the best idea if it fits.

The starter from like an 08 Ram with a Hemi should fit and work fine.

TTI's instructions for their full length headers in an early A body are IF you're running a 727 automatic OR a 10.5 inch clutch with a manual trans, you need to run a RobbMc Perf Starter #3005. Other starters - light weight or original early A body - won't fit. Looks like this:

3005_4x.jpg

This appears to be what you already had. They are not cheap, either.

13B988B9-CBEE-411F-A3E0-580CF2553B58.jpeg
DC8DFCAC-4BB7-48EB-8D65-77BC716752AA.jpeg
AFC23144-9ACF-4DA2-B170-5C1E262A3908.jpeg
B2448029-D5AB-4E02-A909-71E7213ED91A.jpeg

I took @Topless69 advice and found a local rebuilder. $150 and a week and a half later, here it is ready for reinstall. I do think it is a RobbMc starter. The shop said that the nose piece looked like it was made by a machine shop. He put a new solenoid, bushings, brushes on it and will guarantee it for 6 months. I’ll add a heat shield to it before reinstalling it.

Thanks everyone for your advice! You guys are the greatest!

Good to know...please tell your story, thx

bought a set of heads , and roller rocker system from him, the heads turned out ok , (so far) , the exhaust rocker were nver finish machined for valve retainer clearance before they were anodized , he wouldnt take them back or stand behind them .
GOOD THING HE`S SO FAR AWAY !! He would regret it , and I wont forget him !

Like I've said multiple times now and evidently it's fallen on deaf ears as usual, the 08 ram 1500 Hemi starter is the same style and will fit. No need for anything exotic.

Like I've said multiple times now and evidently it's fallen on deaf ears as usual, the 08 ram 1500 Hemi starter is the same style and will fit. No need for anything exotic.

Rob....you didn't happen to experiment with that starter on your former Valiant with the small block and Dougs headers did you? My 65 Barracuda will be a 273, 998 trans, Dougs headers. I have, and planned on using a 90's Magnum motor mini starter....but ain't throwed all those parts together to see if it fits yet. Block is still in machine shop hell ! :BangHead:

Rob....you didn't happen to experiment with that starter on your former Valiant with the small block and Dougs headers did you? My 65 Barracuda will be a 273, 998 trans, Dougs headers. I have, and planned on using a 90's Magnum motor mini starter....but ain't throwed all those parts together to see if it fits yet. Block is still in machine shop hell ! :BangHead:

I did not. I used the Dakota mini starter on that car......that before all the new Hemi stuff. But you can look at the starter and plainly see it will work where the other one will not. I've posted comparison pictures before.

-
Back