New Thread-to Be Or Not To Be?

Should you keep/restore your classic to original?

• Yes; keep it original! These classics are fast disappearing.

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • No; Do whatever floats your boat!

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • Undecided; can't make up my mind!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • No opinion; could care less!

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
-
You know the old saying: "If it aint broke, fix it anyway!"
I say customise, radical or subtle its up to you.
When I was searching for a project I found a car that was ready to be restored, I passed on it because I could bring my self to modify a restorable car. Then found a car that had already been started by someone and they had lost interest. I figured since this car could never be original anyway I'm still "saving" it by hotrodding it.
Unless its low volume, matching numbers or historically significant I say hot rod it to your hearts content. After all its only metal.

Wow....interesting to see the numbers so skewed towards floatin' your own boat. Makes me think I'm not so alone out there..
Funny story I'd like to relate to ya.....about 20 years ago or so, I told some guys at my then-job about the musclecar sitting in my garage under the tarp that I was planning on restoring. They were all ears...."What musclecar?" When I told them about the 340 Duster, they burst into laughter-"That's not a musclecar! That's a grandma grocery-getter!" I knew better, and time has proven me correct. ANY project is what you make it....Hemi 'cuda or /6 Duster. Originality is no replacement for imagination or inginuity. The comments made about storing your meticulous resto in a temperature controlled environment and trailering it from show to show were spot-on! P-51Mustangs were not meant to hang from museum ceilings, and musclecars and hot rods weren't made for museums either. Of course, this is just my opinion, but most of us seem to be on the same page!

Wow....interesting to see the numbers so skewed towards floatin' your own boat. Makes me think I'm not so alone out there..

I think if you did this same survey on the A-12 or Wing Car site you would get a completely different outcome. Those are cars that, when restored to stock condition, will bring six figures.

A bodies don't do that. As cool as they are, they won't command those numbers (except the Hurst Hemi cars). You also don't see people restoring/hot rodding many B body 4 doors

Unless we're talking a rare, valueable model (A-12 cars.... M Code cars.... VERY low production editions....) I say build it the way YOU want it. Although my car is an original P Code 340 S car. That didn't stop me from ditching the A/C & automatic transmission so I could build it MY way. When and if these cars get crazy-valueable like other Mopars, the modifications are reverseable (I didn't change or hack the A/C specific firewall) and the car can be made "stock".

Go build it...YOUR way.

Im working on a 70 340 4 speed dart swinger , but it will never be a all original restore. Id rather be the hipo car that I want it to be.

If you have a good body maybe it should be restored to original, but if you are starting with junk I would go with what ever floats your boat.

400cs.jpg

I disagree. I guess you've seen the pics of my (ex) Challenger. It was hard core restored with the bottom done and all that. I did the indoor show thing with it (it won thank you) and did lots of cruises. I also took it up to the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race (had it certified pure stock) and to the Factory Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. I ran it hard running a best of [email protected] frying those repop PolyGlas tires all the way down. (yes, I won my shootouts at both races)

Bottom line is you CAN restore them to a high level and still enjoy them. I believe people should do what they want with their car. It may not be my cup of tea, but it isn't my car. HOWEVER, if you want to "restore" a car to sell, then as close to stock as possible is the way to go.

Amen!

what would you have done if you could have bought the car new?

in 1977 I ordered my 1st new car, a 1977 Aspen. Before I took delivery I had the air shocks and mag wheels with big Goodyear tires waiting for it.

When my Prowler came in I wanted it to look different than all the other yellow Prowlers. We had it custom painted, chromed the wheels, grill, door handles and removed the bumpers on the front, painted the rear, polished lots of aluminum, added door inserts and shimmers. Most done before the car was 6 months old.

When I started working on my 67 Dart there was no way I was going to rebuild it and keep the slant 6 auto in it

I think I did OK, how much is a slant 6 Dart convertible worth? not near as much as a 340 4 speed even as a clone

The things done to the dart were to look kind of factory only better

pearl paint, ultra leather interior, plush carpet, cloth top, front disc brakes, sway bars, console, ps, wood wheel, 68 seats, 69 hood, painted stripe

Now my 81 Imperial has only 14,500 miles, is all original. Not a high dollar car, but the nicest 81 Imperial I have seen. I try to keep it all stock and original. Will it ever be worth much $$$$$$$$$, doubt it, but it is history that i do not want to change. If it was a high mileage car I think it would have a stroker motor and some custom paint. It really depends on the car and the purpose of it to the owner.

Most cars look better with custom wheels/tire combo, but make it the period correct. Drove a 66 Belvedere II convertible at the Mecum auction that had magnum wheels painted body color (light blue) and raised white letter tires. i told the owner I thought it would have bid 10K more with a set of redlines since th RWL made it look cheap and out of place

4BBDDartImp.jpg

4BBDWCinFL.jpg

lowrseat.JPG

I was reading one of the Mopar mag's. Saw people with "restored" Hemi cars running in the 15's. I am sorry but for me that wont do at all. I don't see the point of having a performance car that cant keep up with a honda. Have fun with it. Life is to short to be slow.

It's easy to make a Hemi or a Six Pack run slow. Back in the late 80's when I had my 383 Super Bee and was only running about 13.70's with it, I was walking down the staging lanes and came upon a friend in his Six Pack car. Had "14.30" on the window. I said, "14.30?!? You need to work on this thing." HE said"No, I need YOU to work on it." (knowing my 383 was faster) I said I wouldn't cause it had to many carbs.

The problem with his car was it wasn't built right. People with Hemis sometimes do the same thing. They get to "big and fancy" and those motors don't like that. That particular gentleman didn't want to believe his Six Pack would run faster with a STOCK cam than it was running with his "509".....that is until the motor came apart and went back together with a stock cam. He immediately went in to the high 12's with it. Now he is a believer.

When are people going to learn. It's not necessarily how many horses to stuff under the hood, it's all about the combination, engine, front suspension, converter or clutch, tranny, rear suspension, rear gears and last but not least, traction. Miss out on one of these and ya got yourself a land yault.

Terry

I was looking for a 70's Dodge pick up to lower and play with. I found a 1978 short box Club Cab w/80,000 miles on it in like new condition. Everything is stock with the smog pump still hooked up. Needless to say it is to cherry to mess with as it is a true survivor. Now the 1975 Valiant I just picked up is clean but Needs paint and other stuff. I will build it as I see fit. The following is going on the trunk edge: As Cheeto Joe says " It's not stock, it's not perfect, it's not yours!" I think you should do whatever trips your trigger as you only go around once in life so do what makes YOU happy as life is too short to please everyone.

I say build it the way you want it. It's your car if you do what other people want you to do with the car you won't enjoy it as much as you could. The only way I'd keep a car stock is if it was a rare car that was worth a lot. Otherwise on an ordinary car, stock can be boring and who cares if you don't have the proper date coded numbers matching hose clamp?

I thought you were going to quote "It ain't easy being cheesie"

Naw Cheeto Joe is the guru of Dodge truck lowering over on the Ramchargers forum. I just always liked that saying and you have to give credit where credit is due.

I will Change my mind I am sure on my sweet 66 Valiant one day.:clock:
But for know it will stay as close to factory as I can keep it.
I will do a mod on my ignition first and go electronic.
Then hide everything under the hood, 390 cfm Holley$$$$$
then add my Offy four barrel and see how big of a pipe I can get on the factory exhaust until some one can come up with an application for my 170 /6
low block. :love7:
I may even keep the factory 13's on it:-D They are 175/80 and work real good with the factory 3/23 gears and standard three on the tree and keep the little light 71/4 rear end.
I enjoy driving Victoria and it has a good sleeper look as it is.
It will get a complete paint job and repair a couple areas for a good show and go car. The 66 has been painted one time and it is close to the right color but they missed it by a couple shade's to dark.
All I am looking for is around 180 to 210 hp so I will not over work the rear end and be good to here.
I can not say for sure But for know that is my planes.:-D

I will Change my mind I am sure on my sweet 66 Valiant one day.:clock:
But for know it will stay as close to factory as I can keep it.
I will do a mod on my ignition first and go electronic.
Then hide everything under the hood, 390 cfm Holley$$$$$
then add my Offy four barrel and see how big of a pipe I can get on the factory exhaust until some one can come up with an application for my 170 /6
low block. :love7:
I may even keep the factory 13's on it:-D They are 175/80 and work real good with the factory 3/23 gears and standard three on the tree and keep the little light 71/4 rear end.
I enjoy driving Victoria and it has a good sleeper look as it is.
It will get a complete paint job and repair a couple areas for a good show and go car. The 66 has been painted one time and it is close to the right color but they missed it by a couple shade's to dark.
All I am looking for is around 180 to 210 hp so I will not over work the rear end and be good to here.
I can not say for sure But for know that is my planes.:-D

The color is more like Long gone's barracuda's and get rid of the white top,
You can see the factory paint in the trunk.

valiant 040.jpg

LIFE 335.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 001.jpg

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 001.jpg

Im really enjoying this thread. Everyone seems to have the same opinion and that is to respect everyone else opinion. :thumbsup:

Your car, Your cash. Do what you want. All though I prefer them mostly stock appearing.

I'm with Adam. Though apearance stock or Pro Streeted is fine, good looking is prefurred over ratty. Thats about it for me.

I've always believed you should keep your car as close to original as possible. There must have been something about that car you liked or you would not have purchased it. If its a bolt on change that can easily be changed back to original, I'me good with that.

"Numbers" is a rich mans game as far as I'm concerned. There's absolutley nothing wrong with following that path - I personally just can't afford it. I'm glad there are those that do though.
My personal preference is a more traditional look with a few little extras thrown in for good looks. Do what you like - "life isn't a dress rehearshal".
Daryl

Your CAr Dude...you think people kept their cars stock back when they bought them? THey raced them, they bought cams, and intakes and carbs and headers, etc.

I think there's a difference between a proper restoration and a balls-out O.E. Certified type of resto. My Challenger was a very correct car, but it wasn't something I did for the O.E. judging at the Nats. IF I had done that level of resto, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the car. So while it had all the correct stuff (even had a real 70 alternator on it) I wasn't about to go through and make sure all the parts were properly date coded (despite buying repop date coded plug wires). A gold standard resto probably would have cost me another 10 grand in parts.

As far I'm concerned anyone can do whatever they want with their own car. They can put a plywood wing on it for all I care. That doesn't mean that I have to like it though...... Just like how I don't care what color someone paints thier house. They have to live with it, why should I care? If they ask what I think, I'll tell them though....Remember that stupid "Heartbeat of America" pinstripe that everyone and their brother put on their GMs in the 80's? Man I hated that, and I told them too.

As far as my own vehicles are concerned, before I buy I develop a vision of the finished product, and it will never be stock. I build my stuff for me, not for some self-appointed automotive HOA that tells me what I have to do. Of course if I stumbled on some rarity, I'd restore it so I could make some dough and build more projects to my own liking.

I'm into custom cars. When I say custom, I don't mean big wheels and metalflake, but making a car to fit my vision of looks, performance, handling and fit.

-
Back