** NEW ** Trick Flow LA cylinder heads introduced at SEMA

-
Look at the pictures. The exhaust face flange extends all the way to the upper corner of the casting on the TF heads, its cast in on the china head. The area between the outer most rocker stands and the valve cover rail is solid on the TF head, and void on the china heads. There are plenty of other differences when you compare the pics.

Those china heads are just Edelbrock knock offs used by many.
Procomp / Speedmaster
CPPA
Sidewinder
BPE
AirWolf
ProMaxx
to name a handful

View attachment 1715109317 TF head

View attachment 1715109318 china head

What is this Chinese head you guys are posting? Who’s is that? It’s good to see us Mopar guys getting more options besides the couple for aluminum heads. May drive the price down a little. I like it.

The Chinese heads were already listed in post 72. I am waiting for these Trick Flow heads myself. Also, I think the exhaust ports on these new Trick Flows look well proportioned to the intakes, so I wouldn't sweat it.

PowerPort.jpg
PowerPort.jpg

Just so you guys know, I am a Trick Flow dealer, and if Ed at Trick Flow follows through, I'll have a display head at my booth for the Chrysler show at Carlisle this year. He says it won't be a problem, but we shall see. It will give you a chance to see them before they are released in September, and order them for immediate shipment once they are available. I'll confirm once we get closer to the July show.

LMAO! They will be ready when there ready and not a moment sooner. Don’t hold your breath!!!!!

I went a head with my W5 over waiting for these OR the Victors.

So now they wont be out till September?
That's what I was told when I asked about the display a couple weeks ago. They said the heads are already in production, but my guess is they won't release them until a sizeable inventory is reached to avoid going into an immediate backorder situation. It wouldn't look good for them to have that happen.

Says they are 60 cc chamber heads which I would assume they are close chambers...and the heads fit all small blocks 67 to 91 318,340 and 360. Specs show a Fel Pro head gasket 1008.

So a 68 to 71 340 is going to be a bolt on with those heads and head gaskets.....

Says they are 60 cc chamber heads which I would assume they are close chambers...and the heads fit all small blocks 67 to 91 318,340 and 360. Specs show a Fel Pro head gasket 1008.

So a 68 to 71 340 is going to be a bolt on with those heads and head gaskets.....

If the pistons aren't at TDC and you don't turn it over.

Nope, and a .650" lift roller cam advertised to fit those engines in those years won't work without modification either. How many people would really intend to bolt them on to a stock bottom end 340 with a positive deck piston?

^^^ I know he's joking, but in the Mopar world there will some idiot that trys to and will *****.

just reading what the info says on the build sheet........................................

just reading what the info says on the build sheet........................................
I understand playing devils advocate, but seriously, if, just like in the roller cam scenario, someone is going to try that, they are in over their head and should defer to a professional. This is why we have all the ridiculous warning labels on everything. To attempt to save people who can't think for themselves.

Jesus---not for long!. It is clearly a closed chamber--where is the piston going to go? **** me, J.Rob

Not that I didn't believe you but wanted to ask Trick Flow if there was any way around it. I got my response today:

Our cylinder head will not work with the factory 340 high compression piston.

Not that I didn't believe you but wanted to ask Trick Flow if there was any way around it. I got my response today:

Most of those style Pistons barely came out of the bore .017 or so. You can take .080 or a bit more off the piston and use them.

Without seeing a better picture of the combustion chamber I'd say an early style dome piston will always be an issue. But a flat top you can machine some off the piston and go.

Most of those style Pistons barely came out of the bore .017 or so. You can take .080 or a bit more off the piston and use them.

Without seeing a better picture of the combustion chamber I'd say an early style dome piston will always be an issue. But a flat top you can machine some off the piston and go.

Thanks. I did measure mine and I got .018, I guess milling is a possible solution. I will probably try to learn what it would take to get the motor built to get around 400 hp using X heads.

They will work with a factory 68-71 piston, you need a thicker head gasket. Can't use the one they suggest. A .055-.060 gasket would work OK. Pretty fricken simple, no?

When do I get paid to solve these mind-boggling issues?

They will work with a factory 68-71 piston, you need a thicker head gasket. Can't use the one they suggest. Pretty fricken simple, no?

Yes that is simple but I don't want to change out pistons etc. Right now I have a standard bore "survivor" that has been off the road for over 25 years. It's all together and I'm hoping I can just have things checked, bolt on heads, cam etc. and go.

They will work with a factory 68-71 piston, you need a thicker head gasket. Can't use the one they suggest. A .055-.060 gasket would work OK. Pretty fricken simple, no?

That's why you get the big bucks. Me...I get nothing. I always say you're paid what you are worth and I certainly prove that out!

What's piston have to do with buying a thicker head gasket?

Buy a .060 thick compressed head gasket and run the shortblock you have. It's not that difficult to do.

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click here.

Subject
MOPAR 340

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Howard)
02/06/2018 08:57 AM
Hello,
Thanks,
Howard Woodburn
Trick Flow Sales/Tech
Ph. (330) 630-1555
Fx. (330) 633-2504

Customer By Email (Rich Peterson) 02/01/2018 09:16 PM
Hello,
Can your new 340 Mopar heads be made to work with the high compression (stock) 1969 engine? The piston is proud out of the block .018. With a closed combustion chamber I doubt it but am wondering if reliefs or thicker head gaskets etc. could make this work.

Thanks, Rich.

Question Reference #180201-001845
Date Created:
02/01/2018 09:16 PM
Last Updated: 02/06/2018 08:57 AM
Order Number:
Phone or Fax Number:
Mobile Chat Type:
acmdtxt:

Here's what I sent trick flow and their response. I dunno.

-
Back